What is the best treatment for constipation?

13»

Replies

• ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Are you talking about long-term or immediate solution? Immediate solution: Miralax.... it's literally a miracle substance. Take a full dose in the evening and you'll be much relieved by morning of the next day. Long-term solution? Eat more fiber and, honestly, more fat. People don't realize how much fat helps things, well, "move".... but also fiber. Note: lettuce and such doesn't help much in the fiber realm. I take a tablespoon of Metamucil every day. Not because I'm backed up, but because it makes everything work much better.

Also, your fiber intake should be about level each day. A sudden drop in fiber (e.g. that trip to the Brazilian steakhouse w/ 4lbs of meat and hardly any veggies) will definitely slow everything down. Sometimes you need to take extra Metamucil. If I feel like constipation is coming on, I go ahead and take a 1/2 dose of Miralax, because for me constipation is so physically unbearable.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    edited April 2017
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I understand that fats, fiber, water and exercise may help with constipation.

This, as well as hitting the magnesium micro.
    @cerise_noir
    I've heard this & need to keep magnesium in mind... it's also important for getting good sleep right? What is the magnesium micro? I can look it up but thought I'd ask while I'm typing in this box. :laugh:

Thanks
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

@cerise_noir
    I've heard this & need to keep magnesium in mind... it's also important for getting good sleep right? What is the magnesium micro? I can look it up but thought I'd ask while I'm typing in this box. :laugh:

Thanks

I don't think mfp tracks magnesium. I use cron-o-meter to track all micros (vitamins and minerals). Yes, magnesium is helpful for sleep. I am less restless during the night. Too much magnesium can cause the opposite of constipation, though.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    First, I would make sure I drink enough water and eat enough vegetables and fruits. And if I'm still having trouble, I'd add psyllium husk.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Coffee and a cigarette. Sorry it's not the best suggestion but it will work, at least try coffee.
  • nationalvillage3215
    nationalvillage3215 Posts: 78 Member
    My gastrointestinal doctor says fiber, fiber, fiber! 25-27grams per day. He also said if your constipation continues for 3 days take a dose (I hate to say it) of Milk of Magnesium (he said it is your best friend). I learned the hard way in not following his advise when my colon became completely blocked (very painful) - but this cured me.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    edited April 2017
    Fruits and vegetables!

I eat mostly fruits and veggies and constipation has been a huge issue this week.

I am thinking about just blowing my calories and having a giant bowl of raisin bran with milk. B)

Ok so after reading the responses...
    1. I eat oatmeal often for lunch
    2. I went for a five mile walk last night after eating fried chicken on my salad
    3. I drank a mug of hot water with lemon before bed.

Now what...on day 5 of this. I think I will lose 5 lbs when I can finally go.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

@cerise_noir

Thanks

I don't think mfp tracks magnesium. I use cron-o-meter to track all micros (vitamins and minerals). Yes, magnesium is helpful for sleep. I am less restless during the night. Too much magnesium can cause the opposite of constipation, though.

I got some mag tablets just yesterday and took one before bed last night. Slept like a rock. It was great. Not even my usual cantankerous self this morning. Shocking!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

@cerise_noir

Thanks

I got some mag tablets just yesterday and took one before bed last night. Slept like a rock. It was great. Not even my usual cantankerous self this morning. Shocking!

Fantastic! I sleep better as well. I definitely don't feel like venturing into the danger zone and going on an early morning rampage. ;)
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Mineral Oil, Coconut Oil, extra fiber. Depends if its chronic or just because of your diet.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    raw habaneros
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    My Dr suggested 2-3 Prunes a day :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member

@cerise_noir

Thanks

Thank you :smiley:
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Baby carrots and tomatoes make me hit the loo regularly.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    OP has all the answers. We are superfluous.

lol, the OP is sharing zir secrets rather than asking for advice.

Maybe all the heated arguments and debates on this site made OP think people are constipated :#:D
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    If you add a fiber supplement to your diet as suggested somewhere above than make sure you also increase your water intake. Otherwise you may have a reverse effect (constipation).
    Sometimes it just happens and if so than things like milk magnesia to help clear it out. But if it's an ongoing battle that happens often throughout the year than add fruits to your morning diet. It helps lubricate the intestines for everything else that follows.

My toddler gets it often, as most toddlers being introduced to new things and in the end a good old remedy is prune juice. Only it taste gawd awful
  • rebeccamorgan58152
    rebeccamorgan58152 Posts: 35 Member
    Try the sugar free Haribo gummy bears
  • BrokenSomething
    BrokenSomething Posts: 11 Member
    What every woman of my grandmother's generation kept saying: Just eat 1-2 kiwis and give it ~2h.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Poor digestive transit can be indicative of endocrine disruption. It depletes one's digestive microbe balance and if the disruption extend for a very long time can limit the digestive enzymes the body should naturally provide. If you try the most acceptable/pleasing of the above and achieve no sustained relief please revisit your doctor.