I Lost 3.4 Pounds Today! Will I Lose 15 in a Week?

Alert: Yes, the title is click-bait. Sorry.

But I wanted to illustrate something. This morning, when I weighed myself at the time that is the most popularly suggested, I came in at 215.4. This afternoon I weighed in at 212.0....twice.

My last recorded weigh-in a few days ago was 213. So, did I gain 2.4 pounds? Technically yes. Well, probably not exactly because I'm sure the scale is not really accurate to the tenth of a pound. Did I actually lose 3.4 pounds after my weigh in? Again, technically yes. But the real question is: how much fat did I lose (or gain)? And the real answer is: I. don't. know. And more specifically I can't know in the short term. All I have to really know is what happens in the long term.

I have gotten on my soapbox about fluid retention a lot in my limited time here. And one of the things that I consistently bring up is that your weight can vary in one day by more than double the amount you want to lose in a week. As I've learned since I've been here, there are usually several new threads every day with folks saying they are doing everything right and not losing weight.

I'm sure some really are doing everything right, but whether they are or not, how would they know without giving the process enough time? (On a separate note, given that, my own controversial opinion is that it doesn't matter long term one iota of when you weigh yourself because there are simply way too many variables that change at different rates for there to be any "consistency" to the weighing process - it's all in trend over time. If you want to debate that, it's probably better for another thread).

Time and trend is all that matters. Don't let the short-term scale reading fool you. Use those readings for data, and give yourself enough time so that you can make your decisions based on good data, not on short term feelings. You can't know in a couple of weeks whether what you are doing is working or not. Trust the process and log as accurately as you can. And then trust the many experts in here - except for those that talk about starvation mode. First, that's not a thing, and second, adaptive thermogenesis, which is a thing, wouldn't show up in a few weeks either.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Aww man, you got me with that title!

afwr8kpjhoip.gif

• buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    I am sometimes baffled by these threads where people freak out over gaining a tenth of a pound or even a pound "overnight." My weight fluctuates up to five lbs in a day sometimes ... due to many factors as you mentioned. For me, I "officially" weigh once every other week (same place/conditions) because I view this as a long-term process. As long as my trend is down, I am good! It has helped me lose 110 lbs in 2 years. I know others weigh daily so they can understand their fluctuations which I can see working, too.

There is no "instant gratification" with weight loss. It's math, time and consistency!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    I weigh daily because it keeps me honest. Getting on the scales every morning for me has a very strong connection with sticking to my calorie limit every day. Once I stop weighing I can easily make excuses to eat a little more, or be a little less mindful. My weight does go up and down each day, but never more than about half a lb or so. I've never had these big fluctuations people talk about.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    I weigh daily because it keeps me honest. Getting on the scales every morning for me has a very strong connection with sticking to my calorie limit every day. Once I stop weighing I can easily make excuses to eat a little more, or be a little less mindful. My weight does go up and down each day, but never more than about half a lb or so. I've never had these big fluctuations people talk about.

You are very lucky. My weight can fluctuate 5# or *more* in a day. Fluid retention sucks.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Aww man, you got me with that title!

afwr8kpjhoip.gif

Me, too. :p
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member

I do this too. I've tried weighing once a week and I find I have more "slacker" days that way. It's easier to think "I'll make up for it tomorrow..." I think I need the accountability of weighing every morning.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member

My weight can fluctuate by up to about 3 pounds in a day (up or down) from water retention - but that's only the "first thing in the morning right after I pee" weight. I've noted in a few other threads that I once gained 3.5 pounds just by showering and getting dressed. At night, I weigh about 5 pounds more than the next morning.

That said, usually, I weigh once a day first thing in the morning. Starting my day with that in my routine has the psychological benefit that it puts me in the mindset of "I am paying attention to my body". The number itself doesn't mean much; it gets logged and I move on. It's the action of weighing that I find helpful.
  • wernertraut
    wernertraut Posts: 19 Member
    I weigh every day and take an average of the week to record progress weekly (that takes pretty good care of bowel movement, dehidration and water retention issues) Have your BMI and body measurements taken professionally every 3 months. Then you'll know how much fat you've lost. The scale is a good indication but not on its own. Go for measurements, body fat content and waist to hip ratio to really see your progress.