Desk job

I'm looking for some advice! I have been at a desk job for two years now. It makes it a lot more difficult to shed the weight like I used to with my physical job. Wondering how other office folks are accomplishing success being in an office setting? I eat lots of veggies and stay within calorie def. I also go to the gym at lunch hour. I'm active on my feet most of the evening when I get home as I'm making supper and running after two kids!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Vari-desk. There's also a gadget that you put under your desk and pedal it like a bike.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Exercise isn't required for weight loss, so it's definitely possible to be successful even with a sedentary job. I do try to get up, for a wander, every hour though, and try to be as active as possible when I'm outside of the office.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    I have a Vari-desk, but then I'm my own boss and can have whatever I want in the office, lol. I try to get up at least every hour to get a drink of water and move around, but I really feel like I'm chained to my desk when I'm in the office. When I need to talk to my assistant, I get up and go to her work area instead of calling her. Little things just to keep me moving. I think I'd be too distracted using an exercise device while I'm trying to work.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    I have a sedentary job, I walk before work, on break & after work with a total of 5-6 miles perday and thats monday- sunday.
  • AlliRich
    AlliRich Posts: 18 Member
    My husband bought me a little stepper for my office, so I jump on in and do step ups for about 5 minutes several times a day while listening to Pandora.
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Sounds like you are doing a great job and making the most it.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    I too work a desk job and get 10,000 steps a day most days. I have lost 20 lbs in 2 months.

for exercise/moving:
    I sometimes use the bathroom that is furthest from my office to get that walk in. I work out on my lunch breaks (1 hr lunch) so that my workout is DONE for the day and I don't have to worry about it when I get home. I have alarms set on my phone once an hour (I don't get to do it always) to get up and get some movement in. My office mate and I have posted a Challenge calendar on our wall that has one exercise a day and we break those up. Ex: today is 50 jumping jacks tomorrow is 30 burpees. We will break them up through out the day and get them all done. I also don't care what the other people in my office think about me exercising, it's for me not them.

for food: I try to eat every 2-3 hours.
    I eat breakfast every day after I get to work, I drink my coffee on my way in. Its usually an instant oatmeal packet, then some fruit 2 or so hours after.
    I have a greek yogurt an hour before heading to the gym then eat my lunch after the gym at my desk. I usually have left overs that are portioned out from the night before or plan a smart ones, order salad, *insert healthy option meal.

My losses haven't been AMAZING every week, but this is a routine that works for me. I love it now and feel it is something I can easily sustain down the road with minimal changes to calorie intake/exercise/daily issues in the office.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I'm at the gym at 5:30 4 days a week for 45-60 minutes. On Saturday & Sunday I work out 1.5 hours. My kids are older though and don't need me constantly so I have the time.

I pack all of my food for the day the night before so I'm not tempted to eat out or eat the goodies they have in the kitchen at work.

When the weather is nice I try to walk in the evenings, but I work a 2nd job from home so that's difficult some days.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    I wake up at 4 or 5am Mon-Fri to get my workout in before the work day. I've had a desk job for years and it's never hindered me.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member

talk to those in charge about getting some equipment to help break the monotony of sitting at a desk. we have various balance balls and under-the-desk stair steppers that can be checked out from the front desk for a couple hours. they could also look into add some stand-up desks.

they might frown about the costs, but if they are providing insurance for employees, they might be able to get some breaks by promoting a healthier lifestyle at the office.
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    I agree work out early before work it helps along with all the other great stuff you are doing.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    I've had a desk job for over 20 years. You sound like you are doing the right things. The last several years I have kept the weight off by weighing my food, eating healthy about 80/20 (or 90/10 some weeks) and exercising about 5 days a week (strength training and cardio). Staying consistent is hard at times especially with nutrition because my office constantly has goodies.

Keep it up