Replies

• mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Wow you're doing awesome! Keep it up!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    edited April 2017
    shans34 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be exercising until your closer to your goal weight, but walking should be fine...I only walk and I didn't start doing that until I was close to goal :)

Just curious, what's the logic to not exercising until closer to goal? Isn't it supposed to go hand in hand. Diet + exercise = weight loss?

@shans34 I don't agree with the no-exercise motif. When I started I was obese. I started with a few good friends here at mfp, limiting my calories to a lot less than 1000/day, and exercising by walking every day and climbing as many flights of stairs as I could get in. We lived in a 4th floor apartment near DC, and all that walking and climbing was right outside my door. I was pretty much out of shape. The first day, I decided I would walk to the vegetable market that was 1/4 mile away. Crossing the street outside our apartment, I tripped and fell, rolling in the gutter. I was totally embarrassed!! A young man stopped and asked if I was OK. I said yes, he went on, I pulled myself to my feet and continued on to the market. I was in a tough-b**** mode for that first year. Oh boy, do I ever need to get back to that frame of mind.

I'm rooting hard for you, especially because I think you have it!
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Day 5:
    So I needed up using yesterday as my splurge day. I didn't eat excessively. However, I did had jub jubes and some chips. I also ate 3 chocolate eggs. The tiny ones.
    Today is a relax day exercise wise. I try to rest on the weekends. I like that time with my family, especially my fiancé who has been working so hard our time has been limited.
    Today is also date day for him and I. We take a date day almost every Saturday. My meal today depends on where we go out.
    Thank god for the weekends!
  • shans34
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Congrats on losing half and inch. That's a lot!

Good luck for your exam results! What are you studying? :)

I'm a psychology major. I graduate in august!
  • amflautist

Psychology major, neato! I've been reading a psychology book that I love, "The Undoing Project".

We'll all be at your graduation in August!!!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member

Awesome. Let's make sure you look your best for your graduation :)

• shans34
    1MADGIRL wrote: »

Awesome. Let's make sure you look your best for your graduation :)

That's the plan!
  • shans34
    Day 5 cont:
    So we went to Applebee's where I had a couple martinis, a piece of cheese garlic bread and a crispy Thai salad minus the noodles. It was alright.
    Feeling: annoyed! Service was crapy. Fiancé didn't even get offered a condiment for his burger and my salad was disappointing. $80 meal that wasn't all that great.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Day 5 cont:
    So we went to Applebee's where I had a couple martinis, a piece of cheese garlic bread and a crispy Thai salad minus the noodles. It was alright.
    Feeling: annoyed! Service was crapy. Fiancé didn't even get offered a condiment for his burger and my salad was disappointing. $80 meal that wasn't all that great.

What a bummer :-(

• amflautist
    Sorry about the restaurant experience. I bet your best meals are in your own kitchen!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    That's too bad to spend that much money and not even enjoy it :(
  • shans34
    Day 6:
    Today started off well. Shower and some cleaning. I'm wearing one of my sexy spaghetti strap shirts but it's getting too big. A great thing!
    Today's meal will be chicken sausages and some tater tots. I will have some tomatoes, onions and cucumber with it.
    Heading out to the park in a bit with my son and fiancé.
    Feeling: pretty good. Well rested and relaxed!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Is is a wonderful feeling when the clothes get loose :) Your meal sounds yummy :p
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Day 5 cont:

Eeeewww. Can't say I'm surprised. I worked in hospitality/restaurants starting in 1983. That's just about when the old guard waiters were reaching retirement age and disappearing from the scene. Yuppie/hipster/corporate places have taken the place of long-revered, independently owned establishments that served traditional, old world recipes prepared with simple, high quality ingredients. Attentive, respectful, Continental style service by full time waiters with decades of fine dining experience who took a lot of pride in their work were replaced by exactly the type of service you received at Applebee's.

I'm so glad I was trained by the old guard. They taught me about good food and how to provide proper service to the customers. And since I've always been a total foodie and obsessed with food, I loved it. :blush:

I don't even to go restaurants anymore, the restaurant business has degenerated so severely. It's takeout only for me.

That's another reason why I love OMAD. Cooking one delicious home cooked meal a day is far less daunting then cooking multiple meals all day.

So much truth there regarding corporate restaurants. I'm always on the lookout for a place where you can get good service and simple high quality meals. I only know of one in my area. They have a scratch kitchen, visible to everyone. they make all their own sauces, desserts, break, everything done on site with fresh ingredients.

Funny thing is when you travel to other countries you find it's much more the norm.
    For example on a recent trip to Mexico I was blown away by some of the places we ate at. Staff all had color coordinated uniforms signifying their responsibility , everyone knew their roles, professional, paid attention to the customer, took pride in their food and presentation.
    When it's done right eating out is such a wonderful experience.

• shans34
    I usually get great service at these restaurants. Yesterday was just a bad day I guess
  • shans34
    I usually get great service at these restaurants. Yesterday was just a bad day I guess

That's good to hear. Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread though. This thread is about you and your wonderful progress. I'm impressed you did OMAD for a long time before joining the group. That shows a lot of resolve :drinker:

I'm a firm believer in OMAD. People always assume they need more food then they do. The health, diet and weight industries prey on this. Some of the strongest and those with the most endurance I have ever seen were from a small village town in rural island Philippines, where all they have to eat is one meal a day!
  • shans34

That's good to hear. Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread though. This thread is about you and your wonderful progress. I'm impressed you did OMAD for a long time before joining the group. That shows a lot of resolve :drinker:

I'm a firm believer in OMAD. People always assume they need more food then they do. The health, diet and weight industries prey on this. Some of the strongest and those with the most endurance I have ever seen were from a small village town in rural island Philippines, where all they have to eat is one meal a day!

Very cool info there. Buddhist monks from the Thai Forest Tradition also only eat once a day. Vegetarian too! Their monasteries have monks from all nationalities living there for their entire lives doing OMAD. They all appear to be fit and healthy, not sickly thin either. Their skin tone is good too. Even as they get into the elderly years, no saggy jowls, no sagging in the upper arms, and the neck appears to stay pretty tight too. Pretty sure they don't exercise, other than doing maintenance work and daily chores around the monastery. Oh right - they do take long walks. Sometimes up to 10 miles a day.

Yep, I spent 8 years in Thailand and observed the same thing. The monks from the north east, where I spent the majority of my time, were the vegetarian, OMAD ones.
  • shans34
    Day 7:
    Meal: BBQ hamburgers and fries
    Exercise: I did the c25k this morning and I have a lot of house/yard work to do. I also want to do some yoga today
    Got some shopping and other stuff to do today that's already exhausting me as I think about it.
    Feeling: pretty good albeit tired
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    @Shans, I've just started Yoga myself. What program do you follow?
  • shans34
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    @Shans, I've just started Yoga myself. What program do you follow?

I'm not following a program. I took yoga classes on that past during my time in south east Asia. I simply do the poses as taught there. I have the routine memorized.