Office jobs

What do you do to stay active when you work at an office job at 90% of your time is at a desk?

I try to get up and walk around while I'm in the office so I'm not always sitting down, but I'm trying to figure out little things I can do I'm at the desk to keep me active.

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    I usually am too busy to worry about being active at my desk. But I always take stairs.
    And the lady's room trips from all the water I drink are plenty lol
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    I usually am too busy to worry about being active at my desk. But I always take stairs.
    And the lady's room trips from all the water I drink are plenty lol

I do all of these things also. In addition, I take a 30 min walk at lunch every day, even in snow, reason, wind, or a heatwave.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Nothing... I work out 5 x a week so I get my exercise that way.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member

So do I, but being at a desk for 8 hours a day still isn't healthy.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    I stand for part of the day and do small marches in place when no one is paying attention. Once an hour I take a walk to the bathroom and back.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Can you get and use a standing desk? Otherwise, just workout before and after work.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    I'm lucky I have a fair walk to and from the bus (about 10,000 steps a day) plus I tend to spend a couple of hours a day at a standing desk.
  • bscroggins05
    bscroggins05 Posts: 65 Member
    I take the stairs any time I go to the restoom. And i make sure to get up and move a lot, whether it's making copies, asking my boss questions, or going to get a drink.
  • xbootykickinx
    xbootykickinx Posts: 48 Member
    Can you get and use a standing desk? Otherwise, just workout before and after work.

@DancingMoosie i try to stand as much as possible I take the stairs not the elevator, and when I get antsy I walk around the office. I'd love a stand up desk!

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    Not much I can do especially attached to a headset almost all day and almost correspondence is through email with little walking in the office. You could look into exercise equipment made to go under your desk or perhaps a stand up desk.

All you can do is park further from entrances, take purposeful walks perhaps on a break or lunch time, take stairs if you have them, go to the furthest bathrooms, etc.

I work out every day of the week but my NEAT is just not very high during the week at all.

• beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    I have the same issue. I recently changed my settings to log negative calories, and discovered that I wasn't moving enough on most work days to even be considered sedentary. I've started using the upstairs rest room, and walking a mile on the treadmill at lunchtime, just to have enough steps to be considered sedentary.
  • Can you get and use a standing desk? Otherwise, just workout before and after work.

@DancingMoosie i try to stand as much as possible I take the stairs not the elevator, and when I get antsy I walk around the office. I'd love a stand up desk!

If you get a note from your doctor saying you need one you shouldn't have any problems. (And doctors love when people ask for one) My sit/stand desk is getting installed this week. I can't wait!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I walk as part of my commute
    I walk at lunch
    I climb stairs on breaks
    I stand during meetings
    I walk or cycle after work
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    ocrXfitter wrote: »

ah well....
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    My Fitbit buzzes at me every hour - if I haven't done enough steps during that hour - so that reminds me to get up for a wander (I do a circuit round my building); it was the reason I got a fitness tracker to begin with.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    ocrXfitter wrote: »

I know what you mean it's playing havoc with my eyes.
    I try and exercise before work
    Use stairs instead of lift that's about it
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    I take the stairs any time I go to the restoom. And i make sure to get up and move a lot, whether it's making copies, asking my boss questions, or going to get a drink.

As much as possible this.

Not to the point of malingering or wasting time excessively
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    For Christmas I got a little under the desk pedal thingy.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Walk round the office as much as possible during the day, walk at lunch, exercise in the evenings.

I work in an office but manage to hit a minimum of 10k steps a day and lift weights 4 days a week.
  • tagmeout
    tagmeout Posts: 2 Member
    I work in a large building, so I make it appoint not to use the restroom near my office.
    I pick one that is far away; however I have to make sure that I don't wait last minute, so
    that I am in a tight trying to get there in time. :D