Running is so Hard!!!

I went on my first run the other day and was dying. I live a sedentary life style so I wasn't surprised at how hard I struggled but I literally could not run consistently for more than a minute at most. I am determined to become more fit and plan to make running apart of my weekly routine but what can I do to become more motivated and easier??

If you have any suggestions or words of encouragement that would be great

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Well done on your first run!

I did my first run in 30 years 18 months ago, when my regular walk just didn't seem fast enough. I ran 500 metres, and was totally knackered, and totally hooked.

The next day, I downloaded the Couch to 5K app (the C25K Zen Labs one, but there are others too, or just podcasts).

The Couch to 5K program gets you to increase your running gradually. You run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit. Each time (you do 3 workouts a week for about 10 weeks), you increase the length of time running.

I highly recommend the program. Do a search and you'll find loads of people have used it successfully. It gave me a great start to running. I can now run 30 km.

My only other tip just now is to run slow! Most beginners run flat out (I did). There's no need. Run at a pace that feels like you can run forever.

Good luck!

Yes, too much too fast = pain, misery, and sidelined by injury. Love the number of program options that are available now.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ...My only other tip just now is to run slow! Most beginners run flat out (I did). There's no need. Run at a pace that feels like you can run forever.

Good luck!

I second this. And don't be ashamed to run at a super slow pace...I mean turtle pace if you have to. If you feel like you're gonna die when you run, you're working too hard. And don't worry - you won't be slow forever, it's just until you get used to it. B)
  • khadijahgarner
    khadijahgarner Posts: 6 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    You will be surprised how quickly it builds if you stick with it. Are you following a structured program, like a couch to 5k? Or are you just winging it?

I'm just winging it.
  • khadijahgarner
    khadijahgarner Posts: 6 Member
    Well done on your first run!

I did my first run in 30 years 18 months ago, when my regular walk just didn't seem fast enough. I ran 500 metres, and was totally knackered, and totally hooked.

The next day, I downloaded the Couch to 5K app (the C25K Zen Labs one, but there are others too, or just podcasts).

The Couch to 5K program gets you to increase your running gradually. You run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit. Each time (you do 3 workouts a week for about 10 weeks), you increase the length of time running.

I highly recommend the program. Do a search and you'll find loads of people have used it successfully. It gave me a great start to running. I can now run 30 km.

My only other tip just now is to run slow! Most beginners run flat out (I did). There's no need. Run at a pace that feels like you can run forever.

Good luck!

Thanks I'll def look into that!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Another vote for Couch to 5k. It is a great program. And run slow - like really slow at first - like you could probably speed walk faster. Get through the program and then work on speed.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Couch to 5K, definitely! I couldn't run at all before, and now I'm on week 4, running for 5 minutes at a time... I didn't believe it was possible when I started. I also built up my walking stamina (distance and speed) before I started the programme, which I think helped.
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Another vote for Couch to 5k. It is a great program.

This.

• 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member

I am a big fan of C25K. Just a question Orphia...why do you suggest the above? So that you avoid injury? So that you don't overdo it and feel defeated? If you can complete each session at a decent pace, why wouldn't you?

Not criticising (you can run 30k now, so your method clearly works). I am keen to understand your reasoning so I can learn from it.

Thanks....

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I am a big fan of C25K. Just a question Orphia...why do you suggest the above? So that you avoid injury? So that you don't overdo it and feel defeated? If you can complete each session at a decent pace, why wouldn't you?

Not criticising (you can run 30k now, so your method clearly works). I am keen to understand your reasoning so I can learn from it.

Thanks....

if you can talk/sing whilst running at a 'decent pace' then that's the perfect pace for you to be running...

slow running is the best for building your CV capacity and fitness which you need to do as a new runner.
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    I would love to run more too. I ran at least a 1/4 of a mile which isn't a lot.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Ease into it, slowly but surely it will be like a walk in the park :smile:
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    C25K. can't recommend it enough.
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    And if C25K doesn't work for you - don't give up! It didn't for me. I couldn't stand repeating weeks - made me feel like a total failure. Then I switched to Jeff Galloway's run/walk method. Completed my first half last fall and getting ready to start training for my next.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    @LJgfg I just recently started the JG Run/walk and was just curious, did you do the HM using the run/walk method? I am already loving the progress I am seeing transitioning from C25K to JG's program.
  • Picoides
    Picoides Posts: 16 Member
    Another C25K grad here. I was exactly like you when I started exercising last August. Had been almost completely sedentary, could barely run one minute without feeling like I was dying. I winged it for a few months, running for short periods and then walking.

Finally earlier this winter I found C25K. I also took the advice to go slow...like really really slow. And I completed the C25K! I can now run 5K - still really slow (4.1mph - I can power walk faster than that) but I can do it.

I highly recommend doing C25K or something else structured. And going really slow so, like others have said, you give your body a chance to build up cardiovascularly (is that a word?) and the other things it needs. You can work on speed later. That's what I'm doing now.