Can't Find What Works

Year ago I put on a lot of weight. I ended up losing 30kg by eating less and moving more. Now in the last 3 years I've put on about 10 kilos and I can't loose it!!! I tried doing what I did before not working, went on the 12 week Paleo stuck to it and nada, have been trying Keto but finding it very had to keep to it. I find if I drop out one day then it's all over rover.....any advice

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    If you aren't losing weight then you aren't doing what you did before. Eat fewer calories than you burn and you will lose weight. This works for everybody, 100% of the time. Track your calories in and track your calories burned. Eat between 500 and 1000 calories fewer than you burn each day and you will lose about 0.5kg per week.
  • Houndsy
    Houndsy Posts: 19 Member
    I'm wondering because I am 7 years older now it's getting harder and harder. I'm so confused by different diets/way of eating some say eat fruit, veg, grains etc, then someone else don't eat carbs, grains, then someone else will say eat this to lose weight...do you know what I mean it's like which one is correct ugh
  • skellymama1
    skellymama1 Posts: 83 Member
    Are you weighing and counting?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Eat what you want to eat, just smaller portions of it. That's it.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Houndsy wrote: »
    I'm wondering because I am 7 years older now it's getting harder and harder. I'm so confused by different diets/way of eating some say eat fruit, veg, grains etc, then someone else don't eat carbs, grains, then someone else will say eat this to lose weight...do you know what I mean it's like which one is correct ugh

Create a calorie deficit.

Do this however you see fit.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Weight loss happens when you create the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. Enter your info here into MFP and it will tell you what calorie target to aim for, to achieve your weekly weight loss goal (unless you're very overweight aim for 1lb a week). Then learn how to accurately log your intake (food scale a great help with this), and then give it time. Avoid focusing on daily/weekly weigh-ins and instead look at monthly trends, which will give you a more accurate idea of your progress, (your weight will fluctuate daily due to all sorts of things, not fat related).
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Do whatever 'diet' works for you. For example, with myself, I know I need rules in place. So I'm avoiding dairy (except for ghee butter in my coffee and the occasional cheese, but no milk!) and wheat/grains. Some people do fine with just smaller portions of the foods they like, but some need rules in place, like myself. Figure out what works for you and stick to it. But the calorie deficit is the most important thing.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    I find it easier not to over-complicate things; I'm eating the same food as before, but less, and I'm losing at a good rate.
  • Houndsy
    Houndsy Posts: 19 Member
    ok I think I will try that again, with the Keto I know they don't count calories because they eat a lot of high fat but I'm finding it had to stick to it and thinking about doing it forever well....thanks guys I will go back to the eat what I want in my calorie limit and see how it goes
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    Houndsy wrote: »

Create a calorie deficit.

Do this however you see fit.
    This.
    Set up mfp to lose 1lb per week, and eat the calories you're given. That's it. MFP works out your calorie deficit for you. There is no need for special need for a diet that eliminates foods or food groups. Hey, I've lost just fine by including chocolate/ice cream/candy/etc, as a part of my WOE (way of eating). I pay attention to my protien, fats and fibre. I don't worry about sugar.

Fats don't make you fat.
    Carbs don't make you fat
    Protien doesn't make you fat/bulky.

Excess calories (eating more calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight) will always lead to weight gain.

*I eat mostly nutritious but "supplement" with treats (supplements for sanity!).

For satiety, play around with fat, fibre, carb and protein amounts in meals. I prefer a balance of all (neither high fat nor high protien satisfy me)

Do get a digital food scale if you haven't already. Weigh everything that isn't a liquid, even pre packaged food.

I find it useful to prelog a few days in advance. It's just like having a meal plan, but not restrictive.

Choose correct database entries. There are a lot of doozies in there. Check packaging info or USDA food database entries for accuracy. Enter your own recipes using the recipe builder in this app/site.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I lost 25 lbs last year by this time of year and felt great. I gained it all back by the fall last year. I haven't lost any yet. I find it hard just to lose a pound this time around. :( Usually just measuring/weighing my food works.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    I've done just about every diet in the book trying to cut out different things to force weight loss (vegetarian, low carb, gluten free, Keto, meal replacement shakes) and nothing worked well or lasted until I started weighing my food, tracking my calories, and getting some exercise everyday (ride my exercise bike at least 5 days/week). Keto and low carb didn't work well for me because I like to eat a lot of volume and wasn't able to eat a lot of the high volume low calorie foods that make me feel happy and satiated (high amounts of veggies, apples, strawberries, etc)