Step Tracker

ferd_ttp5
ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Does the step tracker devices also counting your non-step exercise? Example a bike ride, swimming etc. does it will be counted by step tracker? In running and walking I expect it to be counted by step tracker devices because it taking step actions.

Replies

• Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Running is automatically detected by Fitbit, but cycling isn't - the app does let me enter non-step exercise manually.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I can track other exercise on my fitbit.

I have it set to track weights, bike, yoga, treadmill, walking and running...I just push the button and it starts.

I do this to know the route and distance etc for the step based exercises.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Fitbit only counts the step based activity and it is the most accurate then. My charge 2 does have the option of "tracking" exercise but ilthe HR reading is not very consistent. It's just not made for that
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Fitbit only counts the step based activity and it is the most accurate then. My charge 2 does have the option of "tracking" exercise but ilthe HR reading is not very consistent. It's just not made for that

the HRM can't be that "consistent" anyway as it is on the top of your wrist.

I didn't buy mine for the HRM just happen to come with it...I bought it because it does track other exercises.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Keapix wrote: »
    Running is automatically detected by Fitbit, but cycling isn't - the app does let me enter non-step exercise manually.
    So does it mean that Step tracker is only meant for step like walking and run not for some any. Actually im not using a firness tracker connected to fitbit, I would use a cheap tracker Xiaomi Mi Band 2 and gonna try it myself if it is also counting non-step exercises well thanks for answers :smile:

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    Does the step tracker devices also counting your non-step exercise? Example a bike ride, swimming etc. does it will be counted by step tracker? In running and walking I expect it to be counted by step tracker devices because it taking step actions.

That's a little like asking if coffee has sugar, each cup is different. Some fitness tracking devices (like many Garmins) will also do a good/useable job of tracking non-step activities and some (like Fitbit) will not.

I did a bike ride yesterday and wore a Garmin watch. The watch was able to tell me how far I rode with a map, how much elevation I gained, how many calories I burned, that I was 3 minutes slower than my fastest 40 km, that my FTP is up by 5 watts (yay!).

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1694643846
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    I just use Google Fit on my phone. It does a better job of detecting biking (via gps) than most fitness trackers.