Healthy Ice Cream Substitutes

Replies

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I just eat Edy's Slow Churn. Lower fat so fewer calories. Portion control is going to be a forever thing during maintenance anyway, so I may as well start now.

Seconding the Edy's Slow Churn recommendation, as well as the Skinny Cow recommendation. Honestly, I just usually try to find a way to fit Talenti in, it's about 220 cals/serving. I haven't tried Halo Top yet, even with all the rave reviews on here - once the Talenti I bought on sale is gone I probably will pick some Halo Top up.

No one will ever convince me that frozen pureed bananas is exactly the same as ice cream. Additionally, some of those "nice"cream recipes have as many, if not more calories, than the real deal. I also tried making the cookie dough frozen greek yogurt recipe that I saw on pinterest for a while - it was tasty but with yogurt, peanut butter, honey, and chocolate chips - it ended up being over 300 cals. Might as well just eat Ben and Jerry's for that!

OMG Talenti Southern Butter Pecan is my absolute fave!!! Unfortunately, I am REALLY bad about moderating it. So, it has become one of those "special" treats I only get once in a while.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    I go the other direction. When I have ice cream, which is rare, its because we're out at an ice cream place. Then I just get a small amount of what I want, full fat and sugar, but I limit it to going out.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Ice cream is my weakness. I will just splurge and buy some Halo Top from time to time.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    I usually make nicecream, which is a frozen banana blended in my food processor. I add whatever flavor I want to, such as peanut butter, chocolate, strawberries, etc.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I made two measured cups of ice cream fit in my food log yesterday, and it was glorious. ;)
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    I save calories for a treat almost every night. I like to buy the novelty treats so that portion control is automatic. One of my favorites is blue bunny ice cream sandwiches. 160 cals each, and only 10% of my calories for the day.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Halo Top and Enlightened
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    I like the blitzed frozen banana option, but mostly because I need the bananas to prevent cramps at training. It doesn't replace true ice cream which I have on regular occasions (fitting into my calorie budget). In summer I make lots of fruit sorbet in my ice cream machine as another option. I just blitz some fruit and stick it in the ice cream machine. Mango is amazing that way.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    halo top? but it causes digestive issues for me (as do a lot of processed foods) so i tend to make my own ice cream using frozen banana, cacao, protein powder, almond milk or other frozen fruit mixes.
    my favorite is banana ice cream with pb2.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'll just throw in oreo peanut butter ice cream sandwiches... delish and 160 cals can fit in anyone day... :laugh:
  • mrspett323
    mrspett323 Posts: 85 Member
    Halo Top
  • KkBlowin25
    KkBlowin25 Posts: 45 Member
    My mom showed me this one. Freezing cool whip. Actually really good, light, low cals, low carb and good on frozen fruit with a little cinnamon.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Halo Top Salted Caramel and Strawberry are my favs
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I love Halo top icecream!

I made the banana "ice cream" once and it blew up my blender, so haven't had it since.. I also added pb2, and it did taste delicious. Howeeeever... the calories were pretty much on par with regular ice cream, but with less fat and protein. So if you make it because you like the taste, then yeah go for it! But i personally prefer more fat and protein in my dessert concoctions.
  • jph3
    jph3 Posts: 17 Member
    Huge Ben and Jerry's fan, so Halo Top was disappointing, to say the least. I'd rather adjust my macros to accommodate a serving of good ole Chocolate Fudge Brownie.

Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are great too!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    So Delicious coconut milk ice cream sandwiches are good and only 90 calories, but that assumes you stick to one!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    A lot of people here like Halo Top. I've found that I like Talenti Gelato or Enlightened. The banana nice cream is good, too, though a word of caution about that...the calorie amounts are pretty similar to ice cream, so be mindful of portion sizes with that. Even though some alternatives are labeled with the arbitrary "healthier" label, that does not mean they are low calorie.
    Nothing wrong with good ol' ice cream, though.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I like to make protein fluff with Quest protein powder and then put it in the freezer until really cold.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    When I have a little extra cash I'll get some Skinny Cow or Halo Top. When I don't, Edys Slow Churned is really yummy and affordable and around 120 cals per serving so I can really load up for 200 cals.

I also keep premium ice cream or gelato in the freezer for days I have room, because there really is no substitute :)