Wardrobe and weight loss

How do you maintain your wardrobe while loosing weight?
Do you buy new clothes every few weeks/months or do you wait to reach certain weight goal?
Do you get more motivated to loose weight if you dress beautiful at your current weight or if you save money for future shopping once when you reach weight you'd like to maintain?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I bought clothes each time I went down in size. Not an entire wardrobe but enough to get me through. I've gotten into wearing black t-shirts a lot so I would get a few black t-shirts from Target, a pair of black pants, a pair of gray or tan pants, and a black skirt. I wear that to work with a twinset-style cardigan. The nice thing about twinset cardigans is that you can wear them through several sizes, so I had 3-4 of those. I would get a dress or two if I found one I really liked. But I also tended to buy the same thing as I went down the size. By that I mean that I have a specific brand/style of jeans in sizes 10, 8, and 6.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I like holding my pants up.

Seriously though, I have a range of sizes in my wardrobe...clothes I wear close to comps, clothes for normal sized me, and some bulking clothes (which Ive decided I'm not wearing again... Getting that big wasn't good.)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I bought each size...just a couple pieces. At Winners tho so it wasn't too expensive.

When I hit goal I bought a few more than normal and have bought as I have maintained.

no point in wearing loose baggy clothing if you have lost weight.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    i wear leggings so theyve fit me through my entire 100 pounds, But shirts il ike to buy new ones i have a nice tiny waist i wanna show off as i go XD

Still in same panties as i started...some new bras were necessary. plenty of new belts for work xD
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I bought each size...just a couple pieces. At Winners tho so it wasn't too expensive.

When I hit goal I bought a few more than normal and have bought as I have maintained.

Agreed. I understand that different people have different budget constraints but if you can afford it, I think that getting a few pieces that fit along the way is a good idea. It seems a bit self-punishing when people force themselves to dress in ill-fitting clothing while losing weight.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I can't stand baggy pants, so I buy new ones. And I have a phobia about buying second hand pants, so I get what's on sale or cheap at Costco (hey, I could fit anything Costco sold a few months ago). I've given up on dress shirts. Put one on one day and my wife laughed at me. Golf shirts look okay being too big so I wear those most days, but have bought a few second hand.

I have no dress pants anymore. I won't for a while. My boss understands.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    daneejela wrote: »
    Do you buy new clothes every few weeks/months or do you wait to reach certain weight goal?
    Do you get more motivated to loose weight if you dress beautiful at your current weight or if you save money for future shopping once when you reach weight you'd like to maintain?

I didn't replace any of my clothes until the ones that I had were literally hanging off me/falling down. Big mistake, as it's not a great look. So I started getting a few bits of clothing, mainly trousers and a few T-shirts (and underwear (I don't skimp on underwear) from the cheap shops. No, they aren't going to last decades, probably a few months at the most but by then I'll be in a different size anyway. When I get to goal, and I am happy with how I look, then I'll hit the shops and go mad, aiming for a bit of quality and clothes that will last a while.

Clothes that fit are really important, in my opinion, and I've never been a "clothes" person. To me, clothes were always just something to hide my body and keep me warm. Now I find that wearing clothes that actually fit makes all the difference to me as a person - I am more confident and happier with how I look, rather than wearing stuff that's too big.

I also discovered how simple it is to alter clothes to make them smaller, so that's what I did with the last size I "grew" out of - a couple of hours work, and clothes that fit for a few more weeks.

Charity shops often have some decent quality stuff as well (although I don't recommend getting underwear there :) )
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Agreed. I understand that different people have different budget constraints but if you can afford it, I think that getting a few pieces that fit along the way is a good idea. It seems a bit self-punishing when people force themselves to dress in ill-fitting clothing while losing weight.

I've hated clothes shopping at every point.... So I avoid it where possible. I struggle to find things I like that I think suit me, so I end up still in my ill-fitting clothes...
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Thrift stores and clearance racks have become my best friends. I'm tall and finding dressy pants for work is a challenge so when I find tall sizes at thrift stores I'll usually buy them if they're my current size or the next couple of sizes down. I've also been wearing skirts more often because it takes a lot longer for them to start looking too big than it does for pants. And lately I've been able to fit into some of my older clothes that I never thought I'd be able to wear again. I'd put them in a box in the basement figuring I'd sell them at a yard sale but then never had a yard sale :)
  • jrae
    jrae Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2017
    I buy clothes from the thrift. usually a couple pieces that fit nicely and a couple that are a tad snug and will fit soon so I'm not suddenly left with nothing to wear that isn't baggy. I hate working this hard and then having to wear ill fitting, baggy clothes.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    I pretty much hate shopping and I still haven't grasped that I truly lost weight, so I walk around looking like a hobo a lot. I see pictures of myself sometimes and go, "wtf, is that shirt really so big?? Why are my pants so loose? They must have just gotten stretched out."

Online shopping has helped. :D
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Find a good tailor - I would get my favourite outfits taken in at least once before I went to buy new stuff. I plan to wear some oversize summer pants this year because they are a baggy, cargo style, and will just be baggier this year. I dont like form fitting shirts, so no problem with Tees being a little big. I work in an air conditioned office so sweaters can be used through a few sizes. But I have splurged on a new business suit, and can finally buy clothes anywhere, and not just in specialty stores.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    daneejela wrote: »

When I lost the 60 pounds 12 years ago, I went through 4 or 5 sizes over 2 years. I just wore the same things as long as I could, as long as it didn't look terrible. If it was something I really loved, I had it altered. I actually had a couple of things altered TWICE. I still do have a couple of items that I wear, that were altered all those years ago. :) But if it wasn't something I loved, I simply bought something new to replace it, but I never bought something that did not fit thinking that I would eventually fit into it. I am too picky about my clothes, and if I can't fit into it NOW, I am darn sure not buying to wear in the future. I did try to stick to less expensive items, Target, Kohl's, etc. Eventually all my "fat clothes" disappeared - gave them all to goodwill.

The poster that said she wore leggings through a 100 pound loss, I can't imagine. I don't want to wear stuff hanging off my butt, or showing every bump and line either, so yeah my workout wardrobe definitely changed a couple of times. Definitely new lingerie as well. Like I said, I'm pretty picky.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2017
    Goodwill. 5% Spandex in as many items as possible. Belts. Elastic waists. Buy only things that fit NOW. For every item you buy, donate an older larger item back.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I used consignment stores when I could and lots of inexpensive things at Walmart and Winners. As I get closer to goal I have rewarded myself with some nicer things. I think if you never get anything nice it can be depressing because part of what spurs me on is looking so much better. If you have any consignment stores nearby you will be surprised at the nice things you can find for a reasonable amount of money.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I use threadup and poshmark quite a bit - you can get name brand stuff for a fraction of the price - especially if you work in an office setting and tend to dress up a bit more - I also routinely sell my larger stuff on those sites, if they are still in good condition
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I wear a lot of jersey knit clothes and sometimes purposely buy things snug so I lose into them. I also shop clearance sales, Forever 21, TJ Maxx, and Rainbow Shop.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I had a few custom made dresses, these worked quite well over about 40 lbs weight loss for professional and performance wear. Tailoring makes them usable longer, because my body shape didn't change.

Almost everything else I got at Goodwill. I had to buy pants at JC Penny because I'm tall, but I shopped the sales. I also pared my wardrobe down a lot. I own fewer pieces, and only ones I love. I put that rule in long before hitting goal. It's quite liberating.