Need Help guys... Jelly Belly!!

i am 27, 5' 3'', 154.4pounds... I don't look fat(at least i think so :wink: :wink: )...
The main problem is my tummy and then comes my arms...
My tummy feels like a jelly, so FLABBY...
You all know that i am on OMAD, exercising(cardio) 4times a week and dumbells for arms..
Can anyone suggest how i can lose my jelly belly please...

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Push ups maybe? I am going to start doing them once I get to goal :)
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited April 2017
    I have a long way to go before I'm 154 pounds, but I do planks. I'm actually doing a 30 day plank challenge. They're great for your abs and core overall. Pilates and Yoga are also great for strengthening abdominal muscles. It takes a long, long, long time to build muscles and get rid of belly flab. It won't happen this month or next, it could take as long as a year or more. Same with building muscle, period. I read that It takes at least six to seven months of weight lifting to gain 6 pounds of lean muscle. The longer you consistently work to build muscle, the more you can gain in the following years. I am not sharing this to discourage, but to keep things real. You can do it, but it will take time.
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    NoMoreAfatChick Posts: 226 Member

I can do plank but push ups kill me.. Need to try a lot..
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    i am 27, 5' 3'', 154.4pounds... I don't look fat(at least i think so :wink: :wink: )...
    You all know that i am on OMAD, exercising(cardio) 4times a week and dumbells for arms..

You cannot spot-reduce. It's a fact. You can increase muscle mass, but that will not look as good because of the body composition which remains over the muscle in the area. That leaves going to a much lower percentage of body fat or surgery. Of course, it depends how much of an issue it is for you.

The reason that happens with spots we're not proud of (I have my own) is because we have B2-inhibitor cells where are bodies are genetically told to store fat (think: butts and breasts, ladies). Men may have butts, bellies, or love-handles. Add to that time spent overeating for years and toxins being stored in the fat in those areas and you have "waste fat" -- fat that your body basically sections off that it doesn't ever want to use. Sucks for us, but that's why some have to just make peace with their imperfections and move on.
  • wsandy8512
    ^^Yep, that too! You could work your abs to the point of fatigue every single day, and you would build muscle, but we can't choose what body parts the fat decides to leave.
  • NoMoreAfatChick

You cannot spot-reduce. It's a fact. You can increase muscle mass, but that will not look as good because of the body composition which remains over the muscle in the area. That leaves going to a much lower percentage of body fat or surgery. Of course, it depends how much of an issue it is for you.

The reason that happens with spots we're not proud of (I have my own) is because we have B2-inhibitor cells where are bodies are genetically told to store fat (think: butts and breasts, ladies). Men may have butts, bellies, or love-handles. Add to that time spent overeating for years and toxins being stored in the fat in those areas and you have "waste fat" -- fat that your body basically sections off that it doesn't ever want to use. Sucks for us, but that's why some have to just make peace with their imperfections and move on.

i just dont want my tummy to go away.. i am trying for losing weight from ALL parts of my body :wink: .... I just wanna do things to help my tummy get tighter...
    What you said is absolutely correct.. thanx for the info :smile:
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    ^^Yep, that too! You could work your abs to the point of fatigue every single day, and you would build muscle, but we can't choose what body parts the fat decides to leave.

well said.. should try working on abs...
  • Brendalea69
    edited April 2017
    I started walking 5 weeks ago and hope that will help with something?!
  • Brendalea69

Oops I meant to say Sit Ups...I can do push ups but only the girl kind :p
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Our mid section is about the last place to tighten up. We lose from the extremities 1st and then the middle last. You will see your face thin out then arms and lets and gut some but the gut and bum will probably be the last to go.

I did read an article about people applying ice compresses (with water in it) to the stomach and that it will actually kill the fat and then it will be used up. They do this in some spas now. The ice has to be in a bag with water so it isn't so cold that it burns you. That might be a way to spot reduce but losing weight through diet and exercise isn't going to spot reduce.
  • wsandy8512
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I did read an article about people applying ice compresses (with water in it) to the stomach and that it will actually kill the fat and then it will be used up. They do this in some spas now. The ice has to be in a bag with water so it isn't so cold that it burns you. That might be a way to spot reduce but losing weight through diet and exercise isn't going to spot reduce.

I would need A LOT of ice to cover those areas! My ice maker wouldn't be able to handle the daily ice requirements so I'd have to go buy some... probably be a weekly shortage in my area if I used what was needed!

I read an article yesterday about this as well. It said that in reality it's very, very hard to gain muscle while losing weight except during a window that only two types of people have... very overweight, obese, & morbidly obese people because your fat stores are used as reserves for building muscle; or, for someone who is at a low and/or healthy weight and wants to build. Why? Because for fat loss you need a calorie deficit, whereas for muscle building you need a calorie surplus.

Also read a few days ago in several articles, when researching the possibility of non-surgical options for loose skin, that large people who lost a lot of weight shouldn't even consider surgery unless they still have loose skin at their healthiest, lowest bmi which is 10% for males and 20% for females. The reason is because if bmi is over those, chances are that it's subcutaneous fat and not all skin.

• amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    #1: I've been reading a book about fat and the hormones that control fat: The Secret Life of Fat. Really good book! Talks about how fat creates hormones to stay where it is!

#2: I also understand that fasting and vigorous exercise work to first rid us of the bad/dangerous fat that surrounds our livers and other organs.
  • NoMoreAfatChick

Oops I meant to say Sit Ups...I can do push ups but only the girl kind :p

doing sit ups.. 2reps 15 with 5lb dumbell... need to increase the reps then..
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    Our mid section is about the last place to tighten up. We lose from the extremities 1st and then the middle last. You will see your face thin out then arms and lets and gut some but the gut and bum will probably be the last to go.

wow.. that is a new thing, thanks for the info...
  • NoMoreAfatChick

I would need A LOT of ice to cover those areas! My ice maker wouldn't be able to handle the daily ice requirements so I'd have to go buy some... probably be a weekly shortage in my area if I used what was needed!

I read an article yesterday about this as well. It said that in reality it's very, very hard to gain muscle while losing weight except during a window that only two types of people have... very overweight, obese, & morbidly obese people because your fat stores are used as reserves for building muscle; or, for someone who is at a low and/or healthy weight and wants to build. Why? Because for fat loss you need a calorie deficit, whereas for muscle building you need a calorie surplus.

Also read a few days ago in several articles, when researching the possibility of non-surgical options for loose skin, that large people who lost a lot of weight shouldn't even consider surgery unless they still have loose skin at their healthiest, lowest bmi which is 10% for males and 20% for females. The reason is because if bmi is over those, chances are that it's subcutaneous fat and not all skin.

Then better i wait for some more time to lose weight and den concentrate on tummy tightening :smile:
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    Vanguard1 wrote: »

That is one gud article for female.. Weight lifting seems to be the mantra...
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    edited April 2017
    Sit ups and crunches are ok, but compound exercises with barbells truly strengthen the core. A squat for example, it takes your entire core to stabilize your trunk during the movement. Look into Stronglifts 5x5. It is a very well laid out program that begins light and stresses form throughout the program. I have never had anyone stick to the program and not see tremendous results...everywhere.

Someone said it early, but there is no spot reduction, no matter how many sit ups you do, you will not reduce your midsection, it is truly CICO at that point and it will eventually come off.

Here is a MFP post (w/ pictures) of someone doing the same thing. The difference I a month of lifting is amazing. She could give you more specifics.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10547372/met-your-goal-now-what-my-results-w-pictures#latest

• blambo61

wow.. that is a new thing, thanks for the info...

I wouldn't try this probably every and especially not until I had lost all fat from dieting , exercise. If it worked, it would just grow back if we are not doing things right.
  • blambo61

I lost some muscle the first couple months of OMAD (by Inbody measurements) and then started lifting and making sure I got adequate protein and I gained it back in a couple of months and I lost weight at the same time (while doing OMAD). I think protein is the key. If it works for obese people it should work for anyone who has some extra fat I would think.