Wardrobe and weight loss

Replies

• crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    I literally bought the exact same pair of shorts 3 different times in one season when I lost 40lbs, each time a smaller size. Most of my tops and sweaters worked throughout with that addition of a tank or cami underneath if the neck/armholes started to hang too low, but I had to buy new jeans about every 10lbs lost. New bras and underwear were required after 20lbs lost (I was getting bunched up panty lines and weggies). My job is to fit garments and approve them for mass production so I couldn't exactly walk around with ill fitting clothes. Not only would it put to question my professional capabilities but I'm always super self concious when something doesn't fit right.

When my dad lost about 130lbs, he bought ONE pair of pants when he got down to 38 waist, but didn't buy anything else until he got to a 32 waist. His clothes were literally strapped on and hanging from him. He didn't mind but that would make me crazy.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Thrift stores, Walmart and Target. Unfortunately I have clothes in about 3 different sizes and really need to clean out my closet so I'm not inclined to fit into those big clothes again. I also do Ebay also but it's hard for me to find pants that fit since I'm 5'8" and have a long inseam and my mama's hips. :#
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I have sewn elastic into the waist of a lot of my pants so that they can go further. On top of that thrift shops and the cheapest clothes I can find new.
  • double_nn
    double_nn Posts: 24 Member
    People might tell themselves that they're wearing baggy clothing and it doesn't look bad, but truth is, it never does. Ill fitting clothing always looks ill fitting, whether it's too big or too small. If you can afford it (new, sale, or thrifted), I'd say get a few items that fit for every size.
  • fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    If you have any inclination toward being crafty, you can do some minor tailoring yourself. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube and Instructables (or classes on Craftsy) for slimming a waistband or adding a dart to a shirt. Even moving buttons over, or punching a hole in a belt can get you through a size or two.

If you aren't so inclined, make friends with a tailor. In fact, do that anyway. Most people aren't a "Stock Size" so having someone who can nip and tuck clothes means you can make the most of your clothing budget. For example, if I find a top that fits me in the arms, I usually need to take in the waist because I have big upper arms for my size. Even when I was at my lowest weight I had that problem, so I know to buy for the problem zone and alter.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    It takes me a while to go down a size. I actually went from 212 all the way down to I think 185 (??? trying to remember now) to go down just one size. Since then it has gone a bit quicker - at 170-ish I went down one size from there, and now at 154 I think I need to go down again as everything is getting baggy. But this means I do get months worth of wear out of each of my sizes.

I buy very inexpensive go-to pieces, like two pairs of inexpensive jeans, for example, and maybe a shrug or two and some T-shirts, and that holds me for at least a few months. I feel I'm getting my money's worth.

I often do Goodwill, but sometimes I can find real steals in stores on things like T-shirts...like four or five bucks, something like that. When that happens, I just grab a bunch of colors in my current size.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Charity shops, eBay, and clothes swap evenings with friends.

I tend to buy my current size and a size down, though during the January sales I bought two sizes down as well because I didn't want to miss some of the bargains!

I'm currently not looking at anything in the size below, though, out of superstitious fear; when I hit a UK size 16 I will be smaller than I have ever been in my adult life, and I don't want to jinx it by anticipating :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I just get clothes as needed.
    I wear stretchy pants and elastic waist skirts that still fit me as my hip/measurements didn't really change much.
    I got new underwear and shirts that fit better.
    I had some clothes that were too tight that fit again so I started wearing those.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    I stick to staple pieces as and then change up accessories and such. I do shop thrift stores some but when I buy new its at LEAST 30% off. Also, try to find pieces you can wear at least 3 ways. A couple decent pair of pants in neutral colors can do wonders for stretching (no pun intended, lol) your wardrobe, especially if you can wear them with a belt.
  • voegele13
    voegele13 Posts: 3 Member
    I dug out my sewing machine and have altered quite a few things (we were required to learn how to sew way back when I was in Jr. High), and that sure came in handy. There were some things that could go, but I've been able to hold on to a few things I didn't want to give up yet. If you don't know how to sew, a lot of tailors will give a discount for multiple items.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    voegele13 wrote: »
    I dug out my sewing machine and have altered quite a few things (we were required to learn how to sew way back when I was in Jr. High), and that sure came in handy. There were some things that could go, but I've been able to hold on to a few things I didn't want to give up yet. If you don't know how to sew, a lot of tailors will give a discount for multiple items.

I envy you on the sewing. I can hand-stitch a hem or do minor repairs but machines and I don't get along. I always ending up messing up the tension.
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    edited April 2017
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Find a good tailor - I would get my favourite outfits taken in at least once before I went to buy new stuff. I plan to wear some oversize summer pants this year because they are a baggy, cargo style, and will just be baggier this year. I dont like form fitting shirts, so no problem with Tees being a little big. I work in an air conditioned office so sweaters can be used through a few sizes. But I have splurged on a new business suit, and can finally buy clothes anywhere, and not just in specialty stores.

I do this too. I pay my tailor around $12-15 to take in the waist in my skirts and pants to get a few more months wear out of them. This is preferable to me than buying cheap, low quality replacements. I work in a professional environment and it would be too costly to replace my clothes every time I went down a size.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Goodwill & consignment shops
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I go for Goodwill when my other clothes get too loose. I've been a big dress wearer lately, and they have the advantage of lasting a little longer because I don't have to worry about what size my legs are (I'm a big fan of the a-line dresses) and I'm top-heavy so that's where I lose weight last. I just throw a belt at the waist to cinch in the extra (although there's not much extra right now).
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    I lucked out and saved all of my staple pieces (dress pants, jeans, etc) of all of my smaller sizes. So I have bins in my garage separated by size (4-16) that I dig into first before I buy anything. Once I get 1 more size smaller, I will be taking my work clothes to be altered.

However, I will not be holding onto any of my Fat Girl Clothes.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Varagesale is my best friend. Hardly used items for very affordable prices. (I work for the Courts, I can't look homeless and drowning in my clothes, so frequent top-ups and replacements are needed)
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    I just realized I have clothing in sizes 8-12 . What makes it worse for me is I hardly shop so even though I have 6 pairs of jeans they aren't all the same size. so im stuck wearing like 2 pairs over and over until I lose weight. I have a hard time buying clothes because I don't want to "invest" in clothing I will only wear a few times before I get into another size. But I have convinced myself i need to get rid of the larger sizes and every paycheck buy myself a few pieces of clothing in the current size im in . If i lose more weight i can donate them!
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    2wise4u wrote: »
    Thrift stores, Walmart and Target. Unfortunately I have clothes in about 3 different sizes and really need to clean out my closet so I'm not inclined to fit into those big clothes again. I also do Ebay also but it's hard for me to find pants that fit since I'm 5'8" and have a long inseam and my mama's hips. :#

Express has had great jeans lately! The fit my thunder thighs and butt, are just a tiny but big in the waist (which is better than average), and they fit my long legs. And if you get them when they have a 40% off sale they are only about $50! Target's new jeans fit pretty good (especially the high waisted ones) and you can order the long lengths on line...and they are plenty long.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    I go to Savers every few weeks and buy 3 or 4 dresses for work. A couple of weeks ago I did a wardrobe cull and took 2 bags of clothes back to Savers for donation. Circle of life :P

I also find my "weekend clothes" are pretty forgiving and can be worn for 20kg loss or more, I wear 3/4 "fitness pants" a lot, and Target T-shirts. I don't spend a fortune on clothes.

Someone above mentioned they still wear the same size panties. What is up with that - I do too. I used to be a size 24 and I'm now a size 16 (AU sizing) and I still wear the same underwear. My bra has gone from 20G to 16F though.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I found a pair of nice (machine washable) black trousers and buy 2 pair online every time I drop a size. Went from 16 to 4. Pants can look the sloppiest when they're too large. I got away with larger shirts going from XL to small - nothing in between.