Lying to your doctor

I just read an article that said 64% of people surveyed admitted that they have lied to (or withheld info from) their doctor. Is it just me, or does this sound like the stupidest thing ever? Why pay a doctor's fee but then not give them honest information? I mean, if you are going to lie, just don't go, right?

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Probably. I know when I used to smoke, I would tell my doctor I smoked a pack a day even though it was a pack and a half.

I've never lied about weight or diets, though, if that's what you mean (since this is a weight loss forum). She can see the scale as clearly as I can. What good would lying do?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    i pay no fees but i dont lie to mine, Although i have a very weak immune system so for ages as a teen she assumed its beter safe thn sorry and tested me for STD's and did a pelvic exam every 3 weeks even if i said i had no sex. Shes very on top of things. I feel like id consider lieing about that to get out of monthly exams if i was with someone i trusted lol.
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    I've definitely withheld information from my doctor before, but never anything of particular import. If I don't feel something relates to the reason I'm there and is uncomfortable (for whatever reason) to discuss, I'm not going to bring it up for the hell of it.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I am sure I've lied to my doctors before, but it was more because I was in denial or unsure about things myself.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    I just read an article that said 64% of people surveyed admitted that they have lied to (or withheld info from) their doctor. Is it just me, or does this sound like the stupidest thing ever? Why pay a doctor's fee but then not give them honest information? I mean, if you are going to lie, just don't go, right?

I can't imagine why I would lie to my doctor. :o
  • floridamike99
    floridamike99 Posts: 35 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'd wager that those 64% are likely lying about their drinking habits and/or smoking habits. Do you ever drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages a day? Nah...not me...never!

Yeah, one particular thing mentioned is that doctors routinely assume people drink twice as much as they say they do.

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    I think it's ultra common. It might be a milder version of one of the reasons why people avoid going to the doctor in the first place, i.e., not wanting to face the truth or hear bad news. Or, to put it another way, you can make bad things go away by ignoring them and not talking about them. Or, if you can get the doctor to say you're healthy, then you are. If people were purely guided by rationality, no one would do this, but we're also influenced by irrational emotions. People lie to their clergy, lawyers, and tax preparers for similar reasons.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

Well, it doesn't make sense to me but it is their business and relationship with their physician.
    Maybe a number of people don't feel they can be open with their doctor- someone they see for a few minutes- about everything but still need help.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'd wager that those 64% are likely lying about their drinking habits and/or smoking habits. Do you ever drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages a day? Nah...not me...never!

We were asked this in "PREVENT" class and asked:

How many servings of alcohol do you take?

I responded 3-4. The class facilitator responded "You drink 3-4 servings of alcohol a week?! You're an alcoholic!"

I looked at my chief and said "I thought she meant daily"

and this is why the Navy tried to counsel me for alcoholism...because I admitted to having 3-4 glasses of wine a week...

LOL - we may have had the same facilitator. These results were brought to my commander who took one look at it and then promptly burned this report with his cigar and then we went out for a beer. Good times!

I've gotten it twice...once from a med student when I was doing my separation physical and the other from an Army doc (I was at their health center)...basically they assume if you say 3-4 drinks that you actually mean 8-9...because of the double stated alcohol intake...except I was legit honest
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Some lie because they don't believe they have a problem and don't want a lecture...like about heavy drinking. Some people lie because they don't want certain things in their medical records for insurance or legal reasons...like drug use or smoking.

I never lie to a doctor because I didn't have these particular issues and my only real health risk was extra weight...which there was no point lying about, even if I was so inclined (I doubt I would be), since they weighed me. I am always honest about these things...even when I had to admit very sporadic exercise...because I am too worried about developing terrible diseases to lie to save my vanity.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    funny. never lied to doc, don't pay fees, but I LOVE MY BOOZE. why lie? so silly.