Wardrobe and weight loss

Replies

• LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Thrift stores, garage sales, clearance racks, and lots if stretchy and versatile clothing. I also have a local catholic charities near me that has a food pantry and free clothes that people donate. Sometimes I can find clothes there.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    I love treasure hunting in thrift shops, and have been doing it for years. It's been fun lately cause I've been able to shop in the normal (not plus) section. Last week I got to shop the Rubbermaid bins of old favorite clothes in the attic that I haven't been able to wear for 5 or 6 years.

I think thrift shopping depends a lot on the quality of choices in your area. We're fortunate to have at least 10 stores to choose from and I can buy much better quality than my budget would otherwise allow.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    I've always bought most of my clothes from thrift shops; I don't like spending a lot of money on clothes.

Unfortunately the nearest thrift shop is a ways away and I haven't been there in quite a while. I really need to upgrade my jeans. Right now they're held up by a belt and hope.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Had lots of stuff in the closet from before I added the extra pounds. So...closet shopping worked well for me.
    All my bizillion of Medium shirts now fit again so it's like gaining a lot of free clothes. Glad I hung onto these knowing
    that I planned on dumping the weights
    A lot of additional items were found at great prices on E-Bay. If you know the size that fits, eBay has great pricing on stuff
    like Levi's, shirts, sort coats. I just bought a great new suit for 50.00.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    I've replaced my entire wardrobe twice.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    The first 100lb i was convinced i looked no different and wore the same clothes until i saw a photo of me in my favourite maxi dress. I asked friends why they never told me that you could see everything. Seriously so much bagging i was flashing boob and belly at folks from the side with every movement

I sold everything on eBay and used the money to buy new clothes along with picking stuff up from sale rails

I still buy dresses on ebay. Underwear i buy generally from tesco

Nightwear en im still wearing my old size 32's a friend of mine calls them granny nighties
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    I buy my clothes from charity shops and carboots. You wouldn't believe the amount of designer stuff I've managed to get for stupidly cheap prices! I also buy from a app called Wish which is all brand new clothing and most of it only costs £5.00 (some even cheaper!).
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    I've got a large pile of clothes to donate now, but I'm trying to avoid buying anything new as much as I can. Luckily I had a few old things, which were too small, in storage, which now fit me, but other than that, I'm just making do with fewer items and wearing them more. I have had to buy new underwear though, as I was getting neck strain!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    daneejela wrote: »
    How do you maintain your wardrobe while loosing weight?
    Belts for my old jeans and cheap tops, everything else mostly fits still, but looks better :smile:
    Do you buy new clothes every few weeks/months or do you wait to reach certain weight goal?
    I am waiting until I reach my first mini-goal (95kg from 116kg) to buy some new trousers.
    Do you get more motivated to loose weight if you dress beautiful at your current weight or if you save money for future shopping once when you reach weight you'd like to maintain?
    I'd say the opposite, the more notches I get in on my belt, the more it motivates me, because I'm seeing progress. It will however be nice to buy some smaller size clothes in a couple of months.

I was wondering the same a little while back on my blog, feel free to leave a few comments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/tinkerbellang83/view/to-shop-or-not-to-shop-that-is-the-question-923053

• crystald911
    crystald911 Posts: 46 Member
    I decided when I started this journey that if at all possible I would skip a size before buying anything. 30lbs ago I started in a pants size 18 and top size 2xl. So, I belted the 18's until I got into a 14 and I have bought a few XL tops at the thrift stores. So, the next pant size I buy will be 10's and you will all hear me shouting from the rooftops that I am in a SIZE 10!! :):):)
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2017
    When I was losing I lived in the clearance sections, shopped sales, occasionally went to thrift stores and I had (and still do have) an amazing tailor who seriously does magic!

Even when I was overweight/obese I still cared about my appearance so extra baggy clothes was not an option for me. Although it was very motivating to see clothes that were once tight on me getting too big.

However, I did skip buying clothes for sizes 18 and 14 though. I flew through those sizes so it wasn't too bad.

• daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Thank you girls and guys for sharing your experiences and given advices!
    Beside technical/financial problems with wardrobe during weight loss, I am interested also with the psychological/motivational aspect of it.
    What I am curious about - which mindset contributes more to staying motivated:

1.) I am in the middle of transition to becoming beautiful and enjoying myself (so, I will postpone buying nice wardrobe, etc.)

or

2.) I am beautiful as I am at the moment and I already enjoy myself with all extra weight (so, I will dress myself beautiful everyday as if I am the tiniest version of myself).

or maybe

3.) I am completely non-vain, and not interested in how I look, I only care about health/something else

Which one of those apply to you?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Most of my weight goes to my lower body, so pants are the only one that make a difference. I go back and forth two sizes, 6 and 8, and have pants in both those sizes at all times.
    When I'm between sizes I wear dresses and skirts.
    I've learned to not throw away clothes when I lose or gain weight. You never know. And now I need a bigger house.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm closer to 2. I remember realizing at some point that my mentality was "when I lose weight" for everything. I realized I wasn't living my life and decided whatever I wanted to do when I was thin, I'd do now. Several years ago I found and started subscribing to missussmartypants. She is an online stylist who basically tells you how to dress well for your shape, even big ones, and get the most out of your wardrobe. I've found following her advice makes it easier to dress where I'm at rather than waiting for where I want to be.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    My Tailor can bring in clothes about two sizes. After than I have to get rid of them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I changed with the seasons. Bought a couple shorts for Summer, then jeans for Fall (had to because by then the old ones were falling off). I went straight from 2X to M for tops though (and should have waited longer, I ended up in S for the same brand).

I typically bought from Kohls with 30% off coupons, or Target. I'm a SAHM so it's not like I ever had to be dressed for work or something though...
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Yoga pants. Belts for when other pants got a little loose. Thrift shopping every few months for 8 to 10 items when the last lot got too baggy and ill fitting. It didn't matter making do with a small wardrobe, it would be replaced soon anyway. I learned quickly to take my husband along. He knew what sizes to try, I still pick up things that are too large. I think the biggest signal that helped for me to know I was done taking weight off was when I bought new pants rather than thrifted ones.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Thank you girls and guys for sharing your experiences and given advices!
    Beside technical/financial problems with wardrobe during weight loss, I am interested also with the psychological/motivational aspect of it.
    What I am curious about - which mindset contributes more to staying motivated:

1.) I am in the middle of transition to becoming beautiful and enjoying myself (so, I will postpone buying nice wardrobe, etc.)

or

2.) I am beautiful as I am at the moment and I already enjoy myself with all extra weight (so, I will dress myself beautiful everyday as if I am the tiniest version of myself).

or maybe

3.) I am completely non-vain, and not interested in how I look, I only care about health/something else

Which one of those apply to you?

#2 & #3.
    I like wearing clothes that fit and make me feel good no matter my weight. I'm not a fashionista. I do try to look nice. I did not buy a whole new wardrobe just what I need as I need it. My primary reason to lose weight is health not a change of appearance.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member

^^^This one primarily. I've always loved clothes and loved to find cute things at thrift stores. I have managed to dress my body (at whatever size) to it's most flattering and had fun doing it. That being said, it's sure fun to see a smaller version of myself in cute clothes when I look in the mirror. The larger sizes are gong on ebay or back to the thrift store as donation.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I kept my favorites from before I really started gaining. And I'm tall, so it takes FOREVER to go down a size. After losing 50 pounds, my 18s that were uncomfortably tight now require a belt. I'm getting the 20s that I liked taken in.

And I'm incredibly vain, but I care most about comfort and durability. I look good in anything ;)