Intermittent Fasting

Replies

• docgee918
    docgee918 Posts: 12 Member
    rhiawiz57 wrote: »
    Nice! I'm doing 4:3 which ends up involving IF. 2000 cals 4 days/week and 500 cals 3 days. I've lost 10 pounds in ~25 days. I don't eat breakfast at all anymore even on my higher calorie days. Then on my low calorie days, i end up getting at least a 20 hour fast in before i eat. I love it. very liberating to me not to have to plan and prep all those meals. it reduces my opportunities to go over my calories and eat stuff I don't need. and given that i've been a yo-yo dieter for 25 years, I need the help with reducing error.

I also still get to enjoy foods i like, like cheeseburgers, calzones, burritos, etc. on my 2000 cal days. i just eat light all day (veggies, high fiber foods, lean protein etc) just like i would on my low cal days, except for i have some calories left for fried chicken! i feel awesome!!!! All Foods Fit!

That is what I'm finding as well. I think I finally have a plan for life instead of a diet for the time being. Tired of the yo-yo
  • broccolifashion
    broccolifashion Posts: 9 Member
    In general, i only eat between 12:30 and 6:30 PM. I've been eating like this for years just because i'm not a breakfast person and i don't like eating at night. So... i'm in!
    April 4: i ate one meal at 12:30 and another at 6.
  • GabyFace87
    GabyFace87 Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2017
    Hi I'm doing 20:4 and today is my day 3 with an intake of 1200 calories. I have lost 4lbs so far! With a gallon of water a day

I love IF and MFP ❤
  • jon1435
    jon1435 Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm doing intermittent fasting ( 16:8) at the moment and it's going ok. Eating between 12pm and 8pm and then fasting for 16 hours. The only problem I'm having is getting enough calories in the 8 hour hour eating window. I started a week ago and I'm doing it until the end of April. I'm keeping a blog here if anyone wants to check it out [url="I'm doing intermittent fasting ( 16:8) at the moment and it's going ok. Eating between 12pm and 8pm and then fasting for 16 hours. The only problem I'm having is getting enough calories in the 8 hour hour eating window. I started a week ago and I'm doing it until the end of April. I'm keeping a blog here if anyone wants to check it out https [url="I'm doing intermittent fasting ( 16:8) at the moment and it's going ok. Eating between 12pm and 8pm and then fasting for 16 hours. The only problem I'm having is getting enough calories in the 8 hour hour eating window. I started a week ago and I'm doing it until the end of April. [post edited by MFP moderators]
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Just in case you want to join the IF group here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Good work all!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Just to clarify, since I've seen some misinformation in this thread. @CharlieBeansmomTracey explanations were right on target:

To lose weight, you need to eat less than you burn. That's it. That's how every weight loss program works (IF, keto, low-fat, vegetarian, paleo). There's no magic food, no magic eating time that will change that.

The key is to find something sustainable for you. IF lets you eat one or two big satisfying meals a day (or if ADF, 3 big meals on alternate days). It also curbs your appetite a lot once you get used to it. Many people find that this allows them to stay on target for the week. (no rabbit meals)

To the person who said that you burn more fat on keto: Not BODY fat. You burn what you eat.
    On keto you eat mostly fat (I think 80% is recommended target?), so you burn that fat, then if in a calorie deficit, you will burn body fat.
    On a higher carb diet, you burn the carbs you ate, then, if in a calorie deficit, you will burn body fat.

Its just science....
  • Ashley17forever
    Ashley17forever Posts: 6 Member
    SlayStrong wrote: »
    I know it's too late to join this challenge, but I practice intermittent fasting as a lifestyle along with MFP. Would love to connect with other MFP people interested in intermittent fasting.

I've lost 23 lbs with MFP and intermittent fasting. I've got 12 pounds or so to go.

How long did it take to lose those 23 pounds?. Ive been doing it for 34 days and lost 6 pounds. Im not overweight though i was 147 before now im down to 141 and im 5"5 i was 120 before pregnancy so just trying to drop about 15 pounds total but now that 6 are gone i see i still need to lose about 15 lol.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    SlayStrong wrote: »
    I know it's too late to join this challenge, but I practice intermittent fasting as a lifestyle along with MFP. Would love to connect with other MFP people interested in intermittent fasting.

I've lost 23 lbs with MFP and intermittent fasting. I've got 12 pounds or so to go.

How long did it take to lose those 23 pounds?. Ive been doing it for 34 days and lost 6 pounds. Im not overweight though i was 147 before now im down to 141 and im 5"5 i was 120 before pregnancy so just trying to drop about 15 pounds total but now that 6 are gone i see i still need to lose about 15 lol.

everyone will be different when it comes to time frames on weight loss. the less you have to lose the longer it can take
  • Khushi22
    Khushi22 Posts: 47 Member
    The results are in (drum roll heard in background) -- I'm down 8.6 lbs in 18 days. Thrilled! IF works. I love it!

START WEIGHT = 217.8 lbs
    w/e 03/10/17 = 213.4 lbs (down a total of 4.4lbs as of 3/10)
    w/e 03/17/17 = 211.4 lbs (down a total of 6.4 lbs as of 3/17)
    w/e 03/24/17 = 209.2 lbs (down a total of 8.6 lbs as of 3/24)

Awesome!!! Started my IF yesterday. How many times do you eat (or it doesn't matter) and.. roughly how many calories do you eat (or you don't measure) !
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Khushi22 wrote: »
    The results are in (drum roll heard in background) -- I'm down 8.6 lbs in 18 days. Thrilled! IF works. I love it!

START WEIGHT = 217.8 lbs
    w/e 03/10/17 = 213.4 lbs (down a total of 4.4lbs as of 3/10)
    w/e 03/17/17 = 211.4 lbs (down a total of 6.4 lbs as of 3/17)
    w/e 03/24/17 = 209.2 lbs (down a total of 8.6 lbs as of 3/24)

Awesome!!! Started my IF yesterday. How many times do you eat (or it doesn't matter) and.. roughly how many calories do you eat (or you don't measure) !

you still have to watch your calorie intake to lose weight. and you can eat as many times as you want.everyones calories will NOT be the same
  • chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    So all I would have to do is eat within my calorie goal (1200) in an 8 hour window? Is it broken up between just 2 meals or can I eat snacks too?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    So all I would have to do is eat within my calorie goal (1200) in an 8 hour window? Is it broken up between just 2 meals or can I eat snacks too?

however you want and you dont have to do 16:8, there are other types of IF too you can look into if you want as well. its whatever works for you.you can have snacks if you want.
  • chantelp0508

however you want and you dont have to do 16:8, there are other types of IF too you can look into if you want as well. its whatever works for you.you can have snacks if you want.

Sounds super convenient! Are we doing weekly weigh-ins now? I'd like to join y'all
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

Sounds super convenient! Are we doing weekly weigh-ins now? I'd like to join y'all

I dont know if they are or not. I dont think they mind if you post yours. I dont post mine because for me it can take 2 months just to lose a 1/10 of a lb.
  • chantelp0508
    Well I'm excited about this. I normally don't eat often, but when I do I usually binge. I think if I'm just mindful about how many calories I'm eating, this will be pretty easy to stick to.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Well I'm excited about this. I normally don't eat often, but when I do I usually binge. I think if I'm just mindful about how many calories I'm eating, this will be pretty easy to stick to.

all I can say is try it and go from there.if you are bingeing maybe you need to add more protein/fat or fiber or a combo. find what satiates you.unless you have a eating disorder? then I would probably suggest if you arent already talk to someone and go from there as well.
  • remidowu
    remidowu Posts: 13 Member
    Has anyone had any success with this and KEPT it off after going back to eating on a regular basis?

I did! Lost about 2 stone an kept it off :)
  • chantelp0508
    remidowu wrote: »

I did! Lost about 2 stone an kept it off :)

Which method did you use
  • ItsBetterThisWay
    ItsBetterThisWay Posts: 42 Member
    edited April 2017
    Think ima sharpen my eating window. Been very lax about it. My hours will be 17:7, from 1 pm - 8 pm.
  • bxcks
    bxcks Posts: 1 Member
    It's my third day of fasting. I'm doing a 23:1 fast, so far so good I eat at 16:30 but I think I'm gonna change my window of eating to around 20:30ish since I want to get ready for ramadan.

Does anybody know if changing your window/eating time will stop weight loss or slow it down or something?