How to balance?

Hi

I have lots and lots of food sensitivities, cant afford someone private right now to help so am stuck somewhat Limited list of foods are below, trying to create menus that wont mean and I bored however, I cant access all foods locally on food list anyway!

Who can help me be creative? Thank you

Foods I can eat
Beef, lamb and game, organ meat
white fish only
collard greens, dandelion greens, endives, kale, lettuce, swiss chard, turnip greens (think I can)
arugula, kolhrabi, radish, turnips, sweet potato, swede, squash, yam, plantain, okra
(things in bold I am not sure I can eat, still checking, things in italic I cant source locally) Hope that helps TIA

God bless you

Vicky
xoxox

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Couldn't you google some recipes like beef and Swiss chard.

http://www.marthastewart.com/1049903/swiss-chard-snap-peas-and-beef-stir-fry
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    myfridgefood.com is another good site. Enter what you have, and it will spit out recipes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Any dairy? Any fruits? Any fats? Any grains? Any legumes?

If I recall right, you were getting really hungry trying to stick to your diet restrictions. Are you also trying to stick to a diabetic diet?

The sweet potato, yam, and turnip can be cut in to "fries", sprinkled with garlic salt and oil, and roasted.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You might want to make up a pot of soup.
  • VictoriousBeauty
    VictoriousBeauty Posts: 135 Member
    edited May 2017
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Any dairy? Any fruits? Any fats? Any grains? Any legumes?

If I recall right, you were getting really hungry trying to stick to your diet restrictions. Are you also trying to stick to a diabetic diet?

The sweet potato, yam, and turnip can be cut in to "fries", sprinkled with garlic salt and oil, and roasted.

Thank you for your reply

Yes, I am still trying to stick to a diabetic diet alongside this, no dairy, fruit, grains or legumes, FATS from lamb or beef is okay, no garlic salt either not allowed garlic Yes, making soup later!!!

Bless your heart

God bless you
    xoxox
  • VictoriousBeauty
    Couldn't you google some recipes like beef and Swiss chard.

http://www.marthastewart.com/1049903/swiss-chard-snap-peas-and-beef-stir-fry

Thanks for suggestion but, that recipe would end up beef and chard stir fried in beef fat, nothing else on the list, problem is boredom, I get bored with food very quickly Still stir fry is definitely on agenda Bless you
    xoxox
  • VictoriousBeauty
    If you go to www.allrecipes.com you can enter the ingredients in your pantry (or the ingredients you want to use) and it will generate recipes.

I think you just need to do some Googling.

Tried googling, it comes up with lots of recipes which when I removed all the ingredients I cant eat am left with basic foods on list with no real help as to how to use ingredients I can eat imaginatively Will keep trying though
    God bless you
    xoxox
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Lamb shoulder with turnips (Just use the ingredients that are safe for you):
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12258-pairings-lamb-braised-with-white-beans-and-turnips

Fish with radishes (Just use the ingredients that are safe for you):
    http://www.sunday-suppers.com/blog/recipe-market-fish-with-charred-greens-radish-citrus-honey-yogurt
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2017
    Different ways to cook meat:
    1. Broiling
    2. Grilling
    3. Pan frying
    4. Roasting
    5. Stir-frying
  • VictoriousBeauty
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    myfridgefood.com is another good site. Enter what you have, and it will spit out recipes.

Thanks had a look on site, again list does meals with ingredients I cant have but, did find an idea, use to use but got out of practice Nice reminder to make meals interesting by changing shape of vegetables and cut of meat
    God bless you
    xoxox
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Why is fat from from beef and lamb okay but not other fats? Animal fats have a large fat profile, so I don't see how more "simple" fats would be a problem.

You also appear to be putting up barriers. The linked recipe is just a starting point and you could go to the brilliant websites listed for more creative options, there will be many of you just look.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Why is fat from from beef and lamb okay but not other fats? Animal fats have a large fat profile, so I don't see how more "simple" fats would be a problem.

You also appear to be putting up barriers. The linked recipe is just a starting point and you could go to the brilliant websites listed for more creative options, there will be many of you just look.

This was my thought too.

Also - this is going to sound very bold, but if you have such large diet restrictions (and I don't know why or what will happen if you go outside of these foods) how did the weight gain happen? This diet you listed is SUPER restricted and if you're following it it would be easy to stay within normal caloric limits . . .
  • VictoriousBeauty

Thanks for your reply

What do you mean by simple fats? Sorry for ignorance on this but, felt best ask and not guess

It is not barriers to say I put in a couple of ingredients to find a recipe and had lots in I cant eat but, thats not important really, just need to accept limits, and find create ways to present same foods :-)

God bless you
    xoxox
  • VictoriousBeauty
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

This was my thought too.

Also - this is going to sound very bold, but if you have such large diet restrictions (and I don't know why or what will happen if you go outside of these foods) how did the weight gain happen? This diet you listed is SUPER restricted and if you're following it it would be easy to stay within normal caloric limits . . .

Thanks for your reply as I replied to original person who asked question re simple fats, I wont go into that part here but, in reply to your question how come I got so fat on such a restrictive diet? A far question and completely ok to ask bold questions as you call it.

I didnt get fat eating the restrictive diet, I got fat for many complex reasons, the restrictions are due to digestive issues connected with Mast Cell Activation Disorder, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, latex allergy, histamine reactions, salicyates intolerances, plus a few more like nightshades so, I have had to get strict with myself and cross reference recommended healthy diet then cross off any foods that come under my intolerances/allergy list to give me a base line. I am hoping by being super strict, giving my body a chance to heal, in time I may successfully increase foods I cant tolerate now and tolerate them later when the gut has had a chance to heal. If not, then not ideal but, at least I tried and cant see me able to gain on that limited list Trying to get well not just lose weight, if that makes sense

God bless you
    xoxox
  • VictoriousBeauty
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Different ways to cook meat:
    1. Broiling
    2. Grilling
    3. Pan frying
    4. Roasting
    5. Stir-frying

Thank you for your reply :-)
    Yes was discussing it with my carer today who does most of my cooking and she was coming up with inventive ideas so there is hope, with her flair for inventive presentation, and cooking methods I hopefully wont bore of such a limited lists of foods Feeling more hopeful tonight :smile:

God bless you
    xoxox
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What herbs and spices can u eat? They can totally change the flavor profile of the same ingredients.
  • VictoriousBeauty
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What herbs and spices can u eat? They can totally change the flavor profile of the same ingredients.

Thank you for your reply, at this time only seasoning is sea salt, all others are banned, so will be looking forward to adding some in a few months time :-) totally agree changes the flavour :smile:

God bless you
    xoxox
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

Thanks for your reply

What do you mean by simple fats? Sorry for ignorance on this but, felt best ask and not guess

It is not barriers to say I put in a couple of ingredients to find a recipe and had lots in I cant eat but, thats not important really, just need to accept limits, and find create ways to present same foods :-)

God bless you
    xoxox

Animal fats contain several different types of fats:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/type-fat-red-meat-1886.html

Something like olive oil, a more "simple" fat, largely only contains monounsaturated fat.

So that's why it makes no sense that fat from red meat is fine and others not.
  • JoJosAnatomymfp
    JoJosAnatomymfp Posts: 178 Member
    BBC food foods website is a great website for recipes. Hope this helps.