Atkins Support Group

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    I've been doing Atkins since February '11. I never have used the strips, but I know I'm in Ketosis, pretty much all the time. It's a great place to be! I'm doing a long term Induction because I'm not bored with the food and I feel great, plenty of energy and I have a lot of weight to lose. I'm kind of scared of moving on to Phase II (when the time comes). I don't know how my body will react to more carbs after so long.
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Bacon and scrambled egg. or tuna and broccoli and cheese..yum :)
  • YAAAAY! Finally,a group for Atkins- I thought that word was a big no-no around here.

Anyways My husband and I just finished induction, it went by sooo fast! He lost 11lbs I lost around 8lbs and 23.5 inches.

We love it!!! I have had extreme energy issues for 4 years and BAD crashes after eating any carbs and he is type 2 diabetic . We both gained about 90lbs when I got pregnant because we mainly lived on boxes of pasta and crud...we are poor college kids so it was all we could afford.

I seriously have tried like every thing between portion control and six week body make over and I would lose a few lbs but nothing helped my energy and my overall health. I finally agreed to do Atkins after we watched the movie Fat Head and I thought to myself hey maybe we've had it wrong all along...low fat...fake ingredient was something the gov. preached because GASP it made them more money. MAybe my body does ned fat and waaay less carbs...so I tried it and I must say I probably will never go back to the processed carbs. I mean if I look at the way i felt the ast 4 years and how I feel now I don't even want to go back and have a piece of cake.

The first few days I wanted fruit but I am always full and satisfied after eating. I don't snack hardly, I love everything I am eating (just get inventive) I feel kinda guilty when eating and kind of mad thinking of all the times I sacrificed god food and good flavor for low fat stuff that made me feel depleated!

I am here to support all low carbers especially Atkins followers I need the encourageent too so FRIEND ME!!!
  • Bacon and scrambled egg. or tuna and broccoli and cheese..yum :)

I'm with you girly in Christ!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    im starting phase 2 on monday! i always bring packed breakfast/lunch/snacks into the office - any advice what i can bring that will keep me under the 20g a day limits?

My go to lunches are either a big salad with protein (chicken, beef, shrimp) and lots of veggies or tuna/egg salad eaten using celery as a scoop. If you haven't checked out the Muffin in a Minute on the Atkins site yet, do. You can make them savory, as well as sweet.
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Well today was my first full day on Atkins. It went well. I am trying to walk at least 2.5 miles per day as well. So here is to hoping that I can keep with it. No horrible cravings yet.
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Bump. Sorry, I need the threat because I'm thinking of doing Atkins.
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    :smile: How many carbs do you limit yourselves to each day?
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Hey guys how many calories are planning to consume during Atkins? Still sticking with what MFP say? MFP says that I should consume1,200 net calories. But the Atkins web site recommends between 1,500 and 1,800. I am trying to consume my body weight in grams of protein (175), which is proving challenging. I find it is pretty much impossible to do that while also staying within my MFP recommended calories. I am particularly interested to know what those of you who have already had some success with Atkins did. Thanx!
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    I did atkins for almost three weeks and just couldnt do it anymore. I lost a lot. I'd like to do it again, but I'm a bit scared now lol
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    :smile: How many carbs do you limit yourselves to each day?

its 25 net grams a day .. from vegetables and whatnot.
  • Susanpiazza
    Susanpiazza Posts: 1 Member
    I have done Atkins with my acupuncturist. Week one he treats for carbs, two for sugar, three he balances hormones and four he increases body' ability to burn fat.. It is awesome and has kept me in the Atkins mode. I have 40 left and am doing round two of it...
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    I love that we have a great thread going! Almost to 3 pages! Keep checking in & share! love it! :)

Lost 2pounds so far since switching from HCG to Atkins a few days ago! :)
  • what is the most some of you have lost during induction? Or how long did it take to get to your goals?
  • martinah4
    Hey guys how many calories are planning to consume during Atkins? Still sticking with what MFP say? MFP says that I should consume1,200 net calories. But the Atkins web site recommends between 1,500 and 1,800. I am trying to consume my body weight in grams of protein (175), which is proving challenging. I find it is pretty much impossible to do that while also staying within my MFP recommended calories. I am particularly interested to know what those of you who have already had some success with Atkins did. Thanx!

I note my calories, but I don't live by MFP guidelines. I stay at 20 carbs a day (give or take 2), and my calories have generally been between 1200-1600. I know, it's a huge variance in calories, but it seems to be from the amount of protein that I eat. Even though I lowered my carbs, I didn't really up my protein intake. My food diary tracks carbs, fiber, and sugar. I can't get the calories to go away, so I think it's there by default. Not a big deal. MFP is really geared toward calorie counters, not low-carbers, so I don't think you need to follow their guidelines.
  • martinah4
    what is the most some of you have lost during induction? Or how long did it take to get to your goals?

I lost 8 lbs on Induction. But, I'm in long-term Induction, so really, I'm still losing :) I have met all of my mini-goals so far. My long-term goal is to lose 100 lbs, and I'm almost halfway there! I hope to meet that goal by February 2012.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    I've been doing Atkins off and on now for two or three years. I don't know what my starting weight was, because I didn't have scales that went that high. I would guess I was around 550 pounds. I started this year, at 440 pounds, and I've now lost 74 pounds this year. I ride my bike a lot, and will ride about 600 miles this month. I don't spend much time worrying about my carb intake, but I know it is generally between 10 and 30 grams per day. I usually drink either Atkins shakes for breakfast and lunch, or I also use Walker Diet shakes that I buy from VitaCost online. I really like them. Then, for dinner, I eat a large salad and a half a plate of green vegetables. I also have a decent portion of meat for dinner, as I really need the protein with all the riding that I do. On some days, I'll have eggs for breakfast along with my shakes. I also eat peanuts and cashews for protein, and I eat Avocados for potassium. I've been logging my meals and exercise here since the end of January. If I do cheat, I usually load up on a fruit salad like I did tonight. Feel free to friend me if you want a friend who does Atkins regularly.
  • dimond1610
    dimond1610 Posts: 46
    snacks are a hard one...i mostly just have sliced cheeses and meats, or some low carb veggies and dressing. most snacks do contain a lot of carbs so its difficult to find one that will really satisfy
  • jessicazanebell
    jessicazanebell Posts: 67 Member
    anyone doing atkins or just a low-carb diet and also watching sodium? I am and it is VERY difficult since deli meat, cheese and so many other low carb options are often high in sodium. Ive found that sodium makes me bloat...any advice meal/snack suggestions?
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    anyone doing atkins or just a low-carb diet and also watching sodium? I am and it is VERY difficult since deli meat, cheese and so many other low carb options are often high in sodium. Ive found that sodium makes me bloat...any advice meal/snack suggestions?

I have to watch my sodium, so I will make most of my own snacks and such myself. I can find cheeses that are reduced sodium too, which helps. I don't eat deli meats. I'll grill some chicken breasts and cut them into strips, and then you can dip those into a ranch or bleu cheese dressing for a snack, celery with tuna, low sodium cheese squares, green veggie strips(peppers, celery, etc).