Any vegans out there? O:

Options
Misfitryan
Misfitryan Posts: 8 Member
edited April 2017 in Chit-Chat
I've been browsing around and have yet to see any other vegans. Need of tips for weight gain.

Replies

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i am a vegetarian. i do eat dairy and seafood.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

So you're not a vegetarian?

I'm a vegetarian.

....except for chicken & pork
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Misfitryan wrote: »
    I've been browsing around and have yet to see any other vegans. Need of tips for weight gain.

I would think it would be very difficult to gain weight as a vegan.

The sheer volume you would need to eat would be a lot, right?

Question (no judging; promise): Why are you a vegan?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I'm a vegetarian.

....except for chicken & pork

Im vegetarian til dinner. Does that count?

OP - your tips for weight gain as a vegan are identical as for a non-vegan. Eat more calories - if you struggle with volume, add more fats and starchy grains/carbs. Make smoothies and drink your calories. If you struggle with protein intake, get a supplement. If you aren't lifting, start - grow some muscle rather than just putting on fat.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

wait.

It seems that you didn't receive the memo.

If I now identify as a woman, I should be regarded as a women.
    If I now identify as a Native American, I should be regarded as a Native American.

It stands to reason that if I now identify as a vegetarian, I should be regarded as a vegetarian.

Who are we to judge?

I would say more on the subject... but my vegetarian, carnitas, breakfast burrito is ready and waiting.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I would think it would be very difficult to gain weight as a vegan.

The sheer volume you would need to eat would be a lot, right?

Question (no judging; promise): Why are you a vegan?

They don't just eat vegetables. There are plenty of calorie dense vegan foods.
  • Misfitryan
    Misfitryan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't believe in exploration of animals. I feel that it's not our right to control another creature. I can't justify it. The misery and impending death marked on a cow or chicken or whatever from the moment of birth just isn't right.

I just (not trying to be rude) can't imagine how someone couldn't differentiate an animal from food.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Well, I don't believe in exploration of animals. I feel that it's not our right to control another creature. I can't justify it. The misery and impending death marked on a cow or chicken or whatever from the moment of birth just isn't right.

I just (not trying to be rude) can't imagine how someone couldn't differentiate an animal from food.

that's cool.

you're probably a kind person and your post didn't translate as rude; not at all.

eating lower on the food chain will have it's benefits, no doubt about it.

respext.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Peanut butter
  • Catlady0280
    Catlady0280 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are some vegan protein shakes out there that might help you make some gains. A have a friend who eats a lot of tofu and tempeh and that helps him
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

Check out this group. It's not all vegan but you'll find a lot more vegans there than asking under chit chat.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Not the *kitten* teeth debate again....

FYI- our teeth evolved to help us with what we ate the most of, just like it can evolve again if we only eat plant based foods.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    I can see myself going back to where I was before. Nothing with fur or feathers.

Yes: Fish, dairy, beans, tofu....eggs.
    No: Cows, Pigs, Chicken, Turkey, Birds, animals.

(One no for the fish. No Octopus. I promised the octopus at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, that I would never eat a octopus. Because he really connected with me. He came up to me from inside his tank. He then did a incredible dance, and changed colors, and size. Then came back to me. We bonded. This was right after my dad died almost 9 years ago. Since then I've seen people on youtube eating live baby octopus. It's shocking, and dangerous, and I hope they choke and die trying to eat them. Muther *kitten*)
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    HyeKarma wrote: »
    I can see myself going back to where I was before. Nothing with fur or feathers.

(One no for the fish. No Octopus....)

Octopuses/Octopi/Octopodes (plural of your choice here!) are so intelligent! They're amazing little creatures. From Wiki: At the Sea Star Aquarium in Coburg, Germany, an octopus named Otto was known to juggle his fellow tankmates around, as well as throw rocks and smash the aquarium glass. On more than one occasion, Otto even caused short circuits by crawling out of his tank and shooting a jet of water at the overhead lamp.

One day they will evolve out of the ocean and take over the world. I, for one, welcome our new invertebrate overlords.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for awhile, brother. Now I eat roast beef sandwiches with provolone. It is what it is.

Gaining weight can be difficult if you're eating a high fiber plant based diet. A 500 calorie plate of chickpeas and rice takes up a lot of real estate.

A smoothie is a great way to get in the calories, as liquid tends to digest at a quicker rate.

Here's a sample green smoothie that I make everyday:
    5 bananas
    3 cups total (1c each) of frozen mango, blueberries, pineapple
    1 tbl Chia seeds
    .5 apple
    Spinach (this is more for micronutrients)

There you have it... 800 cals to jumpstart the day.

• HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    As an overweight vegan I can tell you that if you're going to try and gain weight on unprocessed food, it will be harder than if you go for the more processed items.

Burgers, chips, nachos, ice cream, potstickers, faux meat stir fries, high fat curries, all those (vegan variety of course) have helped me to gain weight :neutral: where as less processed foods I find are harder to over eat on (rice, beans, veggies, fruits, etc)

I would try adding more fats to your diet, if increasing sheer volume of food hasn't worked for you already. More nuts, seeds, avocado etc. I would also try doing some high calorie smoothies where you can add in a few bananas, nut butters, nut milks etc. Drinking calories might help you to add on some weight more easily rather than chewing everything which can be tiring.

• lxhee
    lxhee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are great and easy way to boost up those calories! Add peanut butter to make it more creamy along with some almond milk, bananas and other stuff!
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    HyeKarma wrote: »

(One no for the fish. No Octopus....)

Octopuses/Octopi/Octopodes (plural of your choice here!) are so intelligent! They're amazing little creatures. From Wiki: At the Sea Star Aquarium in Coburg, Germany, an octopus named Otto was known to juggle his fellow tankmates around, as well as throw rocks and smash the aquarium glass. On more than one occasion, Otto even caused short circuits by crawling out of his tank and shooting a jet of water at the overhead lamp.

One day they will evolve out of the ocean and take over the world. I, for one, welcome our new invertebrate overlords.

:D;) Thank you.