Sugar grams - How much is really ok?

2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    MFP's bottom stop for automatic sugar goal is 45 grams - 180 calories or 1200 cals. This is half the RDI used in Aus and the UK (90 grams) because it's based on a lower calorie intake).

45 grams is workable, many vegetables are less than 5% sugar and many fruits 10% or less so your "five a day" can fit into 45 grams with a bit of thought. One portion of "five a day" is 80 grams of veg (or fruit).

Two pieces of fruit is above the population median daily consumption, for context.
  • cricketmk3
    cricketmk3 Posts: 7 Member
    I've never stayed below my sugar grams.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Currently 10 servings is being promoted at least in some corners. Splitting that over broccoli, fennel, brussels sprouts (8 servings), and peaches and plums (1 serving each), gives me around 50 grams (majority from the fruit, of course, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with consuming 2 pieces of fruit if you like it and want to and get enough of everything else you should).

Edit: heh, nevermind, I didn't notice it was a zombie.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    the sugar recommendations on MFP are for added sugar and the recomendations you suggested above are also for added sugars.

how much is actually "ok" for someone is going to be a pretty individual thing and there are a lot of things to consider...medical conditions, any insulin sensitivities, how active you are, etc...

Doesn't the FitBit app track total sugar rather than just added sugar? A regular apple in the DB shows as 16g of sugar.

I do wish the app separated total sugar from added sugar.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I stay right around 50-60g without trying too hard. I get hungry if too many of my calories come from carbs/sugar.
  • seantnash
    seantnash Posts: 77 Member
    edited May 2017
    The added sugar guidelines are absolutely useless to anybody because it is virtually impossible to accurately track your intake. I just go by total sugars guidelines which, over here in the UK, is 90 grams a day. Using nutrition information you can only track total sugars.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    150? My target today is 90 and my plan at the moment is to get 92, but that's because I earned a Pillsbury Thin Mints cupcake and consumed an apple and a plum earlier, as well as have an orange remaining. The thing is, the apple, the plum, and the orange each have almost as much sugar as the cupcake. That's why "sugar" is such an odd macro. The thing to hate is "added sugar" and the only 'added sugar' I get today is the cupcake and that's below 25 grams.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I try and stick with what the app gives me but if I do go over it is no big deal because I know that I am under the 25 gms of added sugar as the vast majority of my sugar intake is from fruit, vegetables and dairy. That is because I now find food with added sugar to be too sweet for the most part. If I had a medical condition limiting sugar intake it would be a different matter.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I have insulin resistance and find my autoimmune issues are exacerbated by sugar (and higher carbs) so I avoid sugar.

I eat very low carb so my total sugars are almost always under 10g per day.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    I have PCOS myself and type 2 diabetes in my family so I generally try to avoid foods with more than 3g added sugar per 100g but if you don't have a medical or hormonal reason to watch your sugar that closely I would just celebrate that and happily just watch calories in vs. calories out instead.