Calories on Keto

RacyTray
RacyTray Posts: 16 Member
I'm counting calories so I have an idea about portion size on the HFLC food plan. Should I alter my cals on this plan or just follow standard guidelines MFP provides?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I set macros and stay under the carb goal. I try to come close to the protein goal, and then I use the fats to manage hunger. I have a calorie total and find it easy to stay under that using this approach. I am T2 diabetic, and so I am mindful to spread protein out over the day.
  • my4andme333
    my4andme333 Posts: 140 Member
    I'd suggest not going over what is recommended but carb count is most important on Keto. My calories are set at 1600 because I can't fix anything I'm not upgraded so in order for my Keto macros to be right with carbs fat and protein my calories are at 1600 which I hardly ever meet I worry about the other things like carbs fat protein
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    I used this Keto calculator to figure my macros & choose my level of calorie deficit depending on how fast I'd like to lose weight or just maintain:

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    MFP guidelines worked for me through my year of loss and 3 years of maintenance so far. I had mine set to sedentary and the vast majority of time, I am. MFPs exercise "calories burned" for me (no tracker) were overstated but the number wasn't/isn't an integral part of my program.

Just set up MFP with your stats and see how it works for you for a couple weeks. Tweak if needed. It is wise to weigh/measure in regards to learning portion size/calories. I switched to keto in maintenance and fatty foods are tasty but loaded with calories and calories still matter.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Here's a good article from Dr Michael Eads (Protein Power) about low carb and calories

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2008/05/27/low-carb-and-calories-2/

And I highly recommend this macro calculator over others.
    https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/

They recommend you set to sedentary and don't eat back exercise calories and check the box at the bottom that says "Ketogains recommends"
  • RacyTray
    RacyTray Posts: 16 Member
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate your input. This info is VERY helpful!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Here's a good article from Dr Michael Eads (Protein Power) about low carb and calories

They recommend you set to sedentary and don't eat back exercise calories and check the box at the bottom that says "Ketogains recommends"

I used that macro calculator and it told me to eat 1159 cal per day is that correct?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    @fanncy0626 - impossible to tell without more info. Weight, %deficit, etc. Can you post a screen shot?
  • fanncy0626
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @fanncy0626 - impossible to tell without more info. Weight, %deficit, etc. Can you post a screen shot?

I don't know what happened the first time but I put the same numbers in and it came up different the second time. It put me at 1390 calories per day.

Thanks!
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Not too sure about this one myself. It has me at 1093 calories. I re-entered and got the same thing.
  • fanncy0626
    @Catawampous I actually went online instead of from the link. And that is how I got better results. Maybe there is a bug in the link.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Aha! Thanks! That could be. I'll try it when I get home from work on my computer.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    In the first few weeks of a low carb diet you will burn off lots of glycogen. Glycogen is sugar water basically. As you burn that off you lose lots of water weight. That glycogen and water is not fat being lost. You may lose some fat, but low carb start up is mostly water and glycogen weight loss.

Going up on calories you can add 1/4 lb of fat while dropping 4 lbs of water related glycogen loss, and see the scale go down but actually increase body fat

Be mindful of how you do things. Low carb has a deceptive start up phase. That is why people also talk about gaining 8 pounds back in a week if they cheat bad. They didn't eat 30,000 calories in excess, but they did store glycogen and water.

I have been on moderately low carb for years and it works for me, but calories matter.

Oh and the exercise calories MFP gives you are wildly high! Like triple it seems!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited May 2017
    The thing about the ketogains calculator is it uses % body fat and many people don't know their % of body fat including me. I can use pics (some are shown in another part of the site) or standard BMI charts to guestimate but see that the projected calories are considerably different if I use 20% body fat which is too low and 40% body fat which is hopefully higher than actual. The higher the body fat, the lower the calories required. (looking at maintenance @ sedentary). It makes sense but is just another step with an unknown for most many people.

No biggie, just an observation. If I plug in 25% body fat it gives me the same average I get on most other TDEE calculators based only on height and weight. ~1539. 20% body fat calories are 1600. 40% body fat calories are 1213. At the same weight and height.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited May 2017
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

I used that macro calculator and it told me to eat 1159 cal per day is that correct?

There is an area where it asks you how much of a calorie deficit you want. I think it's default is 25% which is aggressive. You can change it to a more reasonable 15 or so.

pdqqmwg4aopq.png
  • fanncy0626
    For the information I did not see that there.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Be aware of both carbs and calories. This is what I do and it works for me.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    I know everyone is different, but I do not count calories or anything else for that matter. I enetered ketosis almost immediately at around 50 net carbs. I counted carbs for awhile, but haven't for several months. I learned how many carbs were in the things I eat and stopped worrying about counting. I've been very succesful, but not everyone can eat as many carbs as I can.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Right now I have my calorie goal set at 2000/day with macros of 75% Fat, 20% Protein and 5% Carbs (25 grams). I have been really conscious of making choices that fit my macros in the past week and have had days where I have been over and also under my goal. Of course I am still only a week back into making healthy choices so I am losing fast. As things start to slow down I will likely lower my calorie goal.

for reference I am a 41 yr old woman, 5'2" and currently 218 lbs. I only had 2 true active days last week and plan on increasing that to 5 or 6 days this week.