Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I don't support the fat acceptance/plus size movement.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    All of that said I have to say the only place I ever heard about a fat acceptance movement was on this site. Is it a new thing?

It's an internet thing. I've only run into them by seeking them out on the internet after hearing about them here. I think if you frequent certain segments of the internet they may seem more popular than they are (maybe also if you watch some TV show that I forget the name of "Fat and Happy" or some such). I've seen way more anti them than pro them -- blogs that slam some HAES person who does seem delusional, for example. It's kind of like how I never knew Freelee and all her weird eat 87 bananas a day friends were popular until I came here, but if you hang out in certain parts of YouTube you think everyone is a fruitarian and thinks that eating only fruit (and crazy calories) is the ideal.

So I will refer back to my post early in this thread:
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't support the plus size or fat acceptance movement, because it promotes unhealthiness.

These threads always seem to become a debate about what the fat acceptance people claim, in part because many of us are not that familiar with them, in part because we mix them up with body positive or "love yourself" or who knows what groups/people or the anti diet people (who IME aren't always about not losing weight).

To the extent we are referring to people who say that obesity is not a health risk, then of course they are wrong.

I don't find many people who actually think obesity is not a health risk unless I seek them out online, but this could be geographic or generational, who knows.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    I have heard a lot of the supporters saying that you can be fat and healthy at the same time-which is absolute nonsense!

I wouldn't say that. It is possible to be fat and in good health but it is statistically less likely than being at an appropriate weight and healthy - it's playing the odds.

Movements tend to be defined by their leaders and / or loudest voices. The big problem with much "social justice" type activism these days is the militancy of the parts of them which gets the most airtime and in my opinion is a huge turn off for all but the true believers. Fat acceptance / body positivity seems to have fallen into that trap which is a shame as think that with a more reasonable approach it could do a fair amount of good and lessen prejudicial attitudes which conflate weight and moral virtue and human worth.

It is possible to be fat and healthy for a short period of time. Prolonged obesity is nearly guaranteed to cause a multitude of chronic diseases. It's like saying that wearing a seatbelt isn't 100% going to protect you. It's not much of a debate in that regard.

So therefore, the debate isn't about if it's healthy to be fat. It's if it's socially acceptable to embrace it. As a public health issue (crisis, actually) we are in no place to embrace it. However, it is also true that being obese doesn't make anyone any less worthy or human than someone of a healthy weight. The same can be said about someone who smokes.

I'm healthier now at 33.5 than I was at 22. I'm currently trying to get back down to 30. But I see no significant health benefit to getting beyond that.

I know that everyone is different, but using terms like "guaranteed" isn't productive.
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    When I graduated from high school in 1971, I applied for a job at a major communications company. I was required to see the company nurse and my being hired was dependent upon my agreeing to lose 15 lbs. She said my weight was a liability and would cost the company more in health insurance coverage. Here I am years later - high blood pressure medication, aching knees and back - fighting the battle of the bulge; a big, big bulge. I must take responsibility for how I got here and make the changes necessary to have a healthy life. When I complete this journey I will be no better or worse than anyone else. I will never judge. I've been there, I am there, and one never knows where the future will take us.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I just think its a way for the medical industry to just cash in on peoples un-healthy life styles while at the same time justifying a reason for someone not to care about them selfs or get "fit" because they should be "perfect" the way they are.
    Although good intentioned it is, and I do believe it is good to love yourself...but you should have loved yourself enough to make your only body you have, healthy...

Agree except I would think the fashion industry is the one trying to cash in.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I just think its a way for the medical industry to just cash in on peoples un-healthy life styles while at the same time justifying a reason for someone not to care about them selfs or get "fit" because they should be "perfect" the way they are.
    Although good intentioned it is, and I do believe it is good to love yourself...but you should have loved yourself enough to make your only body you have, healthy...

Agree except I would think the fashion industry is the one trying to cash in.

Yeah they are both big empires that strive to make money... its kinda ironic fashion and medical industry is kinda like yin yang in some ways
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    To be honest, I don't understand how this is even a "movement." I could give a rat's *kitten* about how fat anyone is besides myself.
    When you live in a country with socialized medicine it affects your pocketbook.
    If you have group insurance, which almost everyone does, it still affects you.

And where your tax dollars support many that don't have group or purchase their own insurance.

This discussion has been closed.