Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I don't support the fat acceptance/plus size movement.

Replies

• Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    They called you a "shallow bully"? They should look in the mirror and say that to themselves.

Can't make everyone happy. Swipe them off your shoulder and be glad you are not part of their clique.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    bkhadijah wrote: »
    Live and let live. Or let people die from choices they make. We're talking about grown consenting adults who choose to be obese? Im not understanding why people care so deeply.

Who pays for their life long medical treatment and meds?

If you live in Europe, as I do, then we have National Health Services. Our taxes are pooled in each country and we receive (more or less) free at the point of delivery health care from cradle to grave.

Statistically speaking for the population as a whole, if someone becomes obese or say chooses to smoke, they'll need a lot more expensive medical treatment throughout their lives than a person who works out and eats sensibly.

So if say 40 or 50% of the population becomes morbidly obese and that ticking time bomb of medical expenses threats to bring down the whole Health Care System should I still say it's their choice nothing to do with me?

Compound this with many people then ending up on disability benefits rather than working and it starts to become a bit of a pickle.

All of that said I have to say the only place I ever heard about a fat acceptance movement was on this site. Is it a new thing?

Meh. Super fit people have falls, accidents, and injuries resulting from their healthy activities that result in countless doctor visits, surgeries and procedures, rehabilitation, and sometimes hospitalization. My job allows me to witness this sort of thing regularly. All of that also raises rates. If you choose to share a health insurance plan, you share it with all.

I don't chose to share a health insurance. It's obligatory where I live. If you can't prove you have a health insurance (or forget to submit the proof to the proper government office), they issue a health insurance police in your name that you pay, regardless of whether you want it or not. So I pay upwards of 400$ each month and I'm not given a choice about it. Paying that amount, does not mean I get every medical intervention for free. I still pay up to a deductible and once that deductible is reach I keep on paying 10%. That concerns only illnesses.

Injuries due to accident are payed for by a different insurance and covered to 100%. So my monthly payment doesn't even go to cover that. That's a different payment plan (deducted from your salary as a percentage of what you earn). :neutral:

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Live and let live. Or let people die from choices they make. We're talking about grown consenting adults who choose to be obese? Im not understanding why people care so deeply.

If you live in Europe, as I do, then we have National Health Services. Our taxes are pooled in each country and we receive (more or less) free at the point of delivery health care from cradle to grave.

Statistically speaking for the population as a whole, if someone becomes obese or say chooses to smoke, they'll need a lot more expensive medical treatment throughout their lives than a person who works out and eats sensibly.

So if say 40 or 50% of the population becomes morbidly obese and that ticking time bomb of medical expenses threats to bring down the whole Health Care System should I still say it's their choice nothing to do with me?

Compound this with many people then ending up on disability benefits rather than working and it starts to become a bit of a pickle.

All of that said I have to say the only place I ever heard about a fat acceptance movement was on this site. Is it a new thing?

Meh. Super fit people have falls, accidents, and injuries resulting from their healthy activities that result in countless doctor visits, surgeries and procedures, rehabilitation, and sometimes hospitalization. My job allows me to witness this sort of thing regularly. All of that also raises rates. If you choose to share a health insurance plan, you share it with all.

I don't chose to share a health insurance. It's obligatory where I live. If you can't prove you have a health insurance (or forget to submit the proof to the proper government office), they issue a health insurance police in your name that you pay, regardless of whether you want it or not. So I pay upwards of 400$ each month and I'm not given a choice about it. Paying that amount, does not mean I get every medical intervention for free. I still pay up to a deductible and once that deductible is reach I keep on paying 10%. That concerns only illnesses.

Injuries due to accident are payed for by a different insurance and covered to 100%. So my monthly payment doesn't even go to cover that. That's a different payment plan (deducted from your salary as a percentage of what you earn). :neutral:
    Where do you live Ladyrva? Proof of health insurance is now obligatory in your country, how long has that been put into place? Just interested.

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Gamliela wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Where do you live Ladyrva? Proof of health insurance is now obligatory in your country, how long has that been put into place? Just interested.

Switzerland.
    It's been like that for as long as I've been an adult and in charge of paying my own health insurance (I'm 35), so can't really say how long. Not sure how my mom's illness when she was 6 was paid for (my grandparents were dirt poor and could never have afforded a 3 months hospital stay or the follow up treatment for 2 years after). But I think the system has been in place for several decades - probably since long before my birth.

So the moment you're 18, you get served with that nice little bill every month. Before that your parents are responsible for paying.

We still have an excellent system but it's not a system we can really afford anymore (our insurances premiums tend to go up by a double digit percentage on a nearly yearly basis. Last year it went up by a mere 6% and we considered ourselves lucky...). Long term, the added workload from obesity related illnesses, an ever aging population, the better survivability of illnesses such as cancer, and a growing tendency to run to the doctor for every damned cold is going to bankrupt either the system or the people paying for it.

Reason why I think obesity should be tackled much more aggressively and why I don't find 'fat-acceptance' acceptable in the long term. Yes, someone might be healthy and obese, but it doesn't stay that way forever and the risk of developing conditions just starts to go up and up. I was in the situation where my obesity was making me ill (pre-diabetes, NAFLD, ...) and I chose to do something about that instead of simply treating the symptoms with medications. I wish I had done something much sooner as some of the damage done is permanent (I will probably need knee replacements sooner or later, my skin will never fully recover, and I will never drink another glass of wine because of the risks to my liver - no matter how amazing an organ it is and how much crap it will forgive and forget).

I'm much happier now (BMI 28 and dropping). I can move around much more freely now and my current 10 year prognosis doesn't include divorcing from my liver and knee replacements.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Health aside, the world is a judgemental place whether people want to believe it or not. By no means do I agree that it's right but that's how it is!
This discussion has been closed.