Would it be weird to workout on a playground?

KeshNZ
KeshNZ Posts: 73 Member
We have a small park with a playground a block away and I've been thinking of heading over there on my nightly walks and doing a bit of a body-weight workout... I could do pull ups etc on the monkey bars, do a few laps of the park, do some jumps on the platforms and stuff like that a couple of times a week. It would be in the evening so it's not like there would be anyone else around. Plus I kind of like the idea of being a bit of a kid again and just having a play to see what I can do! Would this be weird?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Not weird.

A PT (physical training) instructor in the police academy use to run us around a playground gym set. Made us climb up slides and poles, do hanging monkey bar traverses , etc. Just have fun and be creative.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Not weird. And what's also cool (though I know it's not what you're asking in your OP) is that some parks are putting in outdoor fitness equipment! Stuff like this:

https://www.caterham-independent.co.uk/images/stories/2014/June/04/Gymequipment.jpg
  • KeshNZ
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Unless that's part of his routine of course. I think toddler-kicking burns something like 450 cal/hr.

Omg I just had a vivid mental image of that and snorted out loud at my desk!

I hear toddler tossing doesn't burn as many calories as dwarf tossing but it's still quite effective!
  • JoJosAnatomymfp
    JoJosAnatomymfp Posts: 178 Member
    I don't think it would be weird. I often see people working out at the park, using anything that's available to them. So long as you aren't kicking a toddler off the slide to make room, I think you'd be fine.

Haha
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited May 2017
    OP, I use playground equipment for vague pull-up attempts on my way home, as it's always empty at those times.
    Not weird. And what's also cool (though I know it's not what you're asking in your OP) is that some parks are putting in outdoor fitness equipment! Stuff like this:

https://www.caterham-independent.co.uk/images/stories/2014/June/04/Gymequipment.jpg
    I started off using some outdoor fitness equipment just like that!

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I don't have anywhere to practice pull-ups other than the playground, so that's where I do it. I also do step-ups on the picnic tables.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    As long as it's the industrial grade equipment that can sustain adult weight, and not the home equipment that collapse under 80 pounds I don't see any issue.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Depends on the park. The rules for the park around my house are you can't be in there unless you have kids with you.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Not weird at all....there are a ton of parks around my area that have playground equipment sturdy enough for adult use...sometimes I even swing after my workout :) ...The most awesome places are the trails with fitness "playgrounds" for adults.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You can use picnic tables for incline push ups, Dips, Step up, stretches, etc. Have fun!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Playground equipment is great for things like pull ups and such.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    edited May 2017
    I see no problem with it. The park near my house has a walking/running trail and it has some workout equipment. There are tons of people who come up and exercise there. There are even some classes that are being held there.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    If you're there in the later portion of the evening there probably won't be many kids there anyway. Seems normal to me.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Nothing wrong with going to the playground. The most important thing with exercises that you enjoy it and if you enjoy going to the playground they're bringing out the little kid in yourself why not you'll get better results.

Also if you look at a place like Muscle Beach in Venice California some of the equipment they use there is nothing more than little kids playset but the bigger version
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I'm going to be the dissenting voice here. If I saw an adult working out at the park near our house, I would think it would be weird. It would also be discouraging toward children that may want to play - "Oh, that grownup is using the playground."
  • KeshNZ
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I'm going to be the dissenting voice here. If I saw an adult working out at the park near our house, I would think it would be weird. It would also be discouraging toward children that may want to play - "Oh, that grownup is using the playground."

I would only be going there after 8pm - if you're sending your kids to the playground after 8pm I'd probably think you are the weird one!