Apple watch or fit bit blaze?

katrinanne
katrinanne Posts: 20 Member
edited May 2017 in Getting Started
Hi! Looking to buy a apple watch or fit bit blaze - which one do you have ?

Replies

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    I'm going to shamelessly plug Garmin's VivoActive HR - Water proof :) Sorry for not answering your question, but many people aren't aware of all the other manufacturers. If you're liking the square look, check out the Forerunner 35. Neither of them have the fancy capabilities of the Apple Watch, but they cost much less and are excellent activity trackers. They both are favourably compared to the FitBit Blaze.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    I have used both in the past, but if you are looking for solely the benefit of fitness functionality, I give the nod to the Blaze all day. It's the device I still use myself.

The Apple watch is super cool mainly because of it's functionality with apps and features of your iPhone. Fitness is a secondary purpose. While some of the features of the Apple watch I thought were cool since it basically mimics the apps on your phone, I found that I did not really use them all that much. It was just easier to pull out my phone than dealing with the tiny screen on the watch.

The blaze has been a much better device for fitness tracking than my Apple watch ever was, but it all really depends on what is important and useful to you.

• katrinanne
    Thanks so much! I have a inexpensive fitness tracker which seems a bit dodgy and limiting I suppose - I think I am leaning towards the apple watch as then I can use as a tracker but have the benefits of not having to look at my phone as much for updates :)
  • jagissel
    jagissel Posts: 1 Member
    I absolutely love my apple watch. It tracks the fitness information that I need - calories burned during exercise and how long I exercised. It also tracks average heart rate in a couple of places. The 1st gen watch is not water proof, but the 2nd gen is. you will not be disappointed unless you are wanting to track your sleep also - it cannot do that.
  • katrinanne
    Waterproof would be handy. Thanks for your insight
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Neither, I have a Garmin Fenix 5X. Love that it understands swimming, is the most advanced bike computer available, has amazing fitness functions, maps in the device for when I hike outside of cell range, and that the battery lasts a week or two with heavy GPS use. I also like the smart features; I can usually talk my friend into driving when we hike, and I see the "I'm on my way, be ready soon" text in the shower when my phone is packed away.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    I liked the Blaze until I saw how big it was. Went for the Charge 2 in the end (I've had the Ultra, One and Charge HR before it) and can heartily recommend it if you want something more discreet.
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    I like my Blaze, but the heart rate monitor is often wildly inaccurate. Kind of frustrating when it says my heart rate is 174 when it's actually 118.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    I just sold my apple watch. It was a cool gadget but fitness is secondary and there are much better fitness devices from Garmin. Fitbit is also rumored to be releasing a new fitness "watch" soon to replace their Surge with built in GPS.
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    I have had my Apple Watch for about 3 weeks now and love it. I was going back and forth between that and a FitBit but decided to go with the AW because of the phone and other features. I like being able to look down real quick and see if the incoming call or text is something I need respond to right away or if it can wait. The next thing I need now is to get some bluetooth headphones to be able to use the music feature while working out. You do not need to have your phone on you to listen to the music.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    I recently got a Fitbit Blaze and like it a lot. The apple watch is a lot more sophisticated and has a bunch of features I thought that I would like, but when I'm out walking I always have my iPhone anyway so I felt like it would be redundant.

I can see how people might really like it, though...if they didn't even want to carry their phone it would be pretty cool to have a watch that can make phone calls.

The main thing I was interested in was heart rate/calorie tracking to go along with MFP diary tracking and so far I like my Fitbit for that. It has a neat social community aspect as well, where you can make friends and participate in step challenges and various things.
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    CrystalRoseMeow Posts: 24 Member
    Apple Watch Sport 2 (its the "new" one that's waterproof) hands down. I use it for everything. It records my workouts directly to MFP via health kit. It tracks my activity and fitness goals. It's waterproof so I can swim and shower in it. It tracks my sleep with a nice app that asp directly communicates to health kit. It's attractive so I can wear it to work. It has a MILLION other awesome benefits especially if you are busy and don't have time or want to be constantly holding a phone. I also use a MacBook a desktop Mac and an iPad for my job so i find it extremely useful to have a watch that I can wear in my workouts to track my fitness goals that also vibrates on my arm to tell me it's time to leave for the next meeting on my calendar or allows me to screen emails and texts discreetly to discern if they need immediate attention. I always prefer the everything in one option. Hence my obsession with my six pack fitness Renee tote that is both my meal prep bag, purse, and carries either my iPad or laptop on the go. I simply don't have the time or desire to juggle different brands and cross enter data when using one single system keeps track of everything for me!

And yes. I have the rose gold watch to match my rose gold phone and rose gold iPad...if they made the MacBook Pro (considering going with the rose gold air next time) or the Mac in rose gold I would likely have those too
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    I'm going to shamelessly plug Garmin's VivoActive HR - Water proof :) Sorry for not answering your question, but many people aren't aware of all the other manufacturers. If you're liking the square look, check out the Forerunner 35. Neither of them have the fancy capabilities of the Apple Watch, but they cost much less and are excellent activity trackers. They both are favourably compared to the FitBit Blaze.

Yep. Garmin gets my vote. I actually went with the older Forerunner 25 because I wasn't fussed for the HR monitor in the 35, and at the time the 25 was $60 cheaper (I think the price of the FR35 may have dropped recently).
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    I like my Blaze, but the heart rate monitor is often wildly inaccurate. Kind of frustrating when it says my heart rate is 174 when it's actually 118.

Bingo. I had a very similar issue with heart rate tracking. If you have not tried this already, try wearing your blaze a little higher up on your arm than your typical watch. This dramatically improved my accuracy.
  • c_thurston08
    c_thurston08 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I hope I can help. I purchased a Fitbit blaze in June last year I got on really well with it and felt motivated to do more and more each day however, the calories it shows are a total of the days burning and natural sometimes it would clock up 4000 calories which in effect makes u believe u can over indulge!! After it went wrong I took it back for a replacement and after that went wrong a month ago I purchased a Apple Watch series 1, in my opinion it is far better I have to work for calorie burning ( active calories) it does total up both if u like but I prefer my Apple Watch to a Fitbit blaze it doesn't give u a false sense of calorie burning.
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    edited May 2017
    The Apple Watch gets my vote, as long as you have an iPhone.

FitBit Blaze is $199. The Apple Watch Series 1 can be had for $199 at Target this week until Saturday, May 13. Same price. (Series 2 is $70 off this week at Best Buy)

1) To charge the Fitbit Blaze, you need to take the display off of the watch and put it into a charger box. Super annoying. The Apple watch charges just by touching the magnetic end of the charger to the watch. No need to disassemble the watch.

2) Many different bands to choose from for the Apple Watch, not for the Fitbit Blaze.

3) Fitbit Blaze looks a lot chunkier and cheaper, and will scratch easier. The Apple Watch looks a lot better and is more durable.

4) No App store on the Fitbit Blaze.

5) Only 4 watch faces to choose from for the Fitbit Blaze. There are about 20 for the Apple Watch, plus they're customizable with complications or photos.

6) If you have an iPhone, the Apple Watch works much better. It integrates with the entire phone, text messages, phone calls, pictures, contacts, can bring up your gym membership card, etc. The FitBit Blaze can just communicate with an fitness app on the phone.

I've had my Apple watch for 2 years now, and it's VERY accurate. I love the colored exercise rings which motivate me to move and complete the rings every day. I've lost 55 pounds since I've had it.

The only thing I dislike about the Apple watch is that the screen isn't always on. It only turns on when you touch the screen or lift your arm. Also, the series 0 and 1's screen isn't bright enough in direct sunlight. The series 2 is perfect outside.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

That's called a Zone WTF??!? workout.

I got Beth a Fitbit with HR and she decided to return it for the same reason.
  • Grewa002
    Grewa002 Posts: 1 Member
    My Fitbit charge HR measures the heart rate accurately, but I got my husband the blaze, and his heart rate and step counting were completely off as well!
  • GirlGettingFit37
    GirlGettingFit37 Posts: 146 Member
    I have an Apple Watch and a Fitbit Charge 2 and wear the both. As far as the Apple Watch vs Fitbit Blaze I would say it depends on what you are looking for in your tracker. The Apple Watch is more versatile than the Blaze. You can answer phone calls and texts on the Apple Watch. The Fitbit Blaze is limited to what it can do.
    Apple Watch vs the Fitbit Charge 2: They are pretty similar in tracking steps and heart rate. I do notice that my calories burned is calculated higher on the Fitbit.
  • jakes2011
    jakes2011 Posts: 36 Member
    ... I can see how people might really like it, though...if they didn't even want to carry their phone it would be pretty cool to have a watch that can make phone calls.

The main thing I was interested in was heart rate/calorie tracking to go along with MFP diary tracking and so far I like my Fitbit for that. It has a neat social community aspect as well, where you can make friends and participate in step challenges and various things.

Just to clarify - with the AW, you can't make phone calls without having your phone on you, unless you using wifi calling (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547) - that link shows you what you can and can't do without your phone

Also, if you like the social aspect, you can do activity sharing on the watch or use an app (like Activity Club - which allows friendly competition across devices)

I previously had the Fitbit HR and the competing was what I really missed at first with my AW, until I figured out how to use sharing/AC. Now I love my AW - it works seamlessly with my phone/headphones.