Confused about weight lost.

Hi all! So, I'm a little confused on the weight I've lost recently...I'm hoping someone can maybe explain some things for me. I had a baby 4 months ago, and I had been 143lbs up until two weeks ago. I was lifting weights, breastfeeding, and watching what I ate pretty well. Even with logging, I never budged even a half pound.
So, I started this new workout program, that has 20 min of interval running ...then two rounds of 20reps of I believe 5 or 6 different lifts... then 10 more minutes of cardio... then repeat the lifts. I also started eating the pretty much the same thing everyday so I know exactly where my calories are.
Well, since starting this, every day that I work out, I wake up in the morning and I'm a pound lighter. If I work out two days in a row, I'm down two pounds. And if I go a few days in between, I stay at that weight until I go back to the gym. I thought maybe it was just water from sweating, but my weight doesn't fluctuate AT ALL between workouts. It's very strange to me. Does anyone possibly have any explanation as to why I would not budge at all even with eating properly but then lose a pound consistently the day after working out? I'm not sure if I explained this well enough to understand...but I've always been told, if you eat well, you will lose weight even without working out. And I haven't been at all...but to add this new workout and start dropping weight like crazy, but only on the days I work out is so bizarre to me. I'm not possibly burning that many calories in a day, could I? Or is the exercise just enough to add to my eating that it's putting me at that 3,500 calories burned?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    doubtful you are burning 3500 cals exercising. you don't talk much about how you are calculating your calorie intake. can you give more details on your food intake?

weightloss isn't linear unfortunately so i believe its coincidence that the scale moves the day after a workout consistently.

but you are saying you are dropping weight and not going back up at all?
  • _MissBrie
    _MissBrie Posts: 114 Member
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    doubtful you are burning 3500 cals exercising. you don't talk much about how you are calculating your calorie intake. can you give more details on your food intake?

weightloss isn't linear unfortunately so i believe its coincidence that the scale moves the day after a workout consistently.

but you are saying you are dropping weight and not going back up at all?

So basically what I'm eating daily is
    Breakfast - 1 egg and two strips of turkey bacon
    Snack - either Greek yogurt or a lactation treat
    Lunch - tuna with 1tbs olive oil mayo and spinach
    Snack - 1/2c 2% cottage cheese
    Dinner - chicken with 1c rice and black bean corn salsa
    And sometimes another 1/2c cottage cheese before bed if I'm feeling hungry.

That's all I eat, same thing every day.
    I am also exclusively breastfeeding.

My weight does not go back up. Some days depending on how much I drank, I'll go up a pound or two by the end of the day, but when I weigh myself in the morning, it's the same weight as before. And I stay that weight until I go workout again, then the next day I'm another pound down. For example, I was 137.8 for over a week because I didn't workout. Then I went to the gym, next day I was 136.8. Stayed that way for two days. Went to the gym yesterday and this morning I'm 135.8.
    So you can see why it's so weird to me
  • T0M_K
    that doesn't help me a lot. How many lbs to lose per week are you setup for on MFP? and how many does this equate to? how are you logging it? do you weigh? do you use labels?

you are eating so little. it is weird LOL not you..just the situation ;)

On the breastfeeding, i can't help you on the impact of that. it would seem you need to consume more calories to breastfeed but frankly I have pec's not breast ...per say ;)

wish i had your problem! lol i'd workout for 20 days and i'd be at goal!! lol.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, keep in mind you are never one specific weight. There is a lot of other stuff in your body than just fat (water, bones, muscle, digesting food, etc.) and the weight of that stuff fluctuates from day to day. Especially for women, hormones can cause your water weight to fluctuate by 5 or more lbs from one day to the next.

Are you logging your food? Do you know how many cals you are eating and how many you should be eating?
  • _MissBrie
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, keep in mind you are never one specific weight. There is a lot of other stuff in your body than just fat (water, bones, muscle, digesting food, etc.) and the weight of that stuff fluctuates from day to day. Especially for women, hormones can cause your water weight to fluctuate by 5 or more lbs from one day to the next.

Are you logging your food? Do you know how many cals you are eating and how many you should be eating?

Oh I am totally aware of that. I'm talking about when I weigh myself in the morning. And I logged my food in the beginning, but I eat the same thing everyday so I sometimes log just for record now. I put what I eat in another comment...I'll have to look at exactly what it said the calories were
  • _MissBrie
    that doesn't help me a lot. How many lbs to lose per week are you setup for on MFP? and how many does this equate to? how are you logging it? do you weigh? do you use labels?

On the breastfeeding, i can't help you on the impact of that. it would seem you need to consume more calories to breastfeed but frankly I have pec's not breast ...per say ;)

lol I'm sorry, I know I'm not explains things well. I'm right about 1300 calories. Not eating back my calories from working out or breastfeeding.
    MFP has me at 1600 to lose a pound a week. I use labels when I can, or I measure if I can't. The only thing I'm pretty much guessing on is my chicken, but it's just a small chicken breast per night. Everything is measured by cup.
  • T0M_K
    _MissBrie wrote: »

lol I'm sorry, I know I'm not explains things well. I'm right about 1300 calories. Not eating back my calories from working out or breastfeeding.
    MFP has me at 1600 to lose a pound a week. I use labels when I can, or I measure if I can't. The only thing I'm pretty much guessing on is my chicken, but it's just a small chicken breast per night. Everything is measured by cup.

my suggestion would be to forget labels and cups and buy a food scale that measures in ounces and grams. its important. some labels work out...many just really don't. weigh your chicken before its cooked.

the scales aren't expensive. i think i have the biggest loser scale from walmart.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    So you are eating 1300 calories, breast feeding, AND working out? :/
  • _MissBrie

my suggestion would be to forget labels and cups and buy a food scale that measures in ounces and grams. its important. some labels work out...many just really don't. weigh your chicken before its cooked.

the scales aren't expensive. i think i have the biggest loser scale from walmart.

I'll have to try that. That could be why I'm not budging at all without exercising. But I already feel like I eat so little I can't imagine having to cut back lol
  • _MissBrie
    So you are eating 1300 calories, breast feeding, AND working out? :/

Yeah, but I don't feel super hungry like I need to eat more. So I feel like I'm getting enough. I'm not starving myself by any means...or so I thought? Your comment makes me question myself now lol
  • T0M_K

I'll have to try that. That could be why I'm not budging at all without exercising. But I already feel like I eat so little I can't imagine having to cut back lol

I agree, doesn't seem like much food. not saying you have to cut back. just saying you need to be accurate. so you tighten things up and re access. The oddity is the lose only on workout day. thats a bit strange. I get you burn more that day, but boy...if it were only that easy!
  • _MissBrie

that seems incredible low, especially for breastfeeding....

Does it? I don't feel like I'm under eating! I get hungry every couple of hours..and I eat on that schedule, but it is enough to satisfy me. I'm never super hungry and I never go to bed hungry. Do I really need to be eating more???
  • kimny72

Oh I am totally aware of that. I'm talking about when I weigh myself in the morning. And I logged my food in the beginning, but I eat the same thing everyday so I sometimes log just for record now. I put what I eat in another comment...I'll have to look at exactly what it said the calories were

Yes, when you weigh yourself every morning. Sometimes you'll be carrying a little more water weight sometimes a little less. Sometimes your muscles will be strained a little and will be holding onto glycogen for repairs. Sometimes your digestive system will work a little slower and you will have some undigested food still floating around. Most women retain water for several days around their TOM, several lbs of it.

If you aren't accurately tracking, it's really hard to say what could be going on. But when you are losing measurable weight from day to day, with no change in your diet, I would guess it's water weight.
  • _MissBrie

I agree, doesn't seem like much food. not saying you have to cut back. just saying you need to be accurate. so you tighten things up and re access. The oddity is the lose only on workout day. thats a bit strange. I get you burn more that day, but boy...if it were only that easy!

Haha right? Poor me... I just found it so weird. And want to make sure I'm being safe and healthy. I've lost weight before, but it was never so strange like this.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member

Does it? I don't feel like I'm under eating! I get hungry every couple of hours..and I eat on that schedule, but it is enough to satisfy me. I'm never super hungry and I never go to bed hungry. Do I really need to be eating more???

given you're only using measuring cups, it might not be that low, you don't specify if its 1c of rice cooked or uncooked, or how much chicken?
  • kimny72

Yes it's low. I am 5'5, 130 lbs, lightly active, and I eat 1700 cals to maintain my weight. And breastfeeding requires extra calories. I would suspect you are eating a bit more than you think, especially if you aren't hungry and up until recently were not losing weight.
  • _MissBrie

Yes, when you weigh yourself every morning. Sometimes you'll be carrying a little more water weight sometimes a little less. Sometimes your muscles will be strained a little and will be holding onto glycogen for repairs. Sometimes your digestive system will work a little slower and you will have some undigested food still floating around. Most women retain water for several days around their TOM, several lbs of it.

If you aren't accurately tracking, it's really hard to say what could be going on. But when you are losing measurable weight from day to day, with no change in your diet, I would guess it's water weight.

But I'm not losing weight day to day. It's just when I work out, otherwise I stay the same. I was 143.3 for four months, no change either way until I started working out. And then I went down to 138.8 and stayed exactly that for a week until I went to the gym again, then it was 137.8 for however many days between going to the gym..and so on. I'm at 135.8 this morning, went to the gym yesterday. I figured it was water weight as well, I just thought it was so strange that every day I would step on the scale and the same number would come up until I went to the gym again, then it would be a pound less...and be that same weight every day until I went to the gym again. Just thought it was weird!
  • _MissBrie

given you're only using measuring cups, it might not be that low, you don't specify if its 1c of rice cooked or uncooked, or how much chicken?

One cup cooked rice, and honestly not sure on the chicken, but uncooked about the size of my palm.