Atkins Support Group

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    what is the most some of you have lost during induction? Or how long did it take to get to your goals?

The first time I did Atkins I lost 14lb on the 2 week induction. But I was younger and exercising like a nut. LOL This time I lost 6lb, and proud of every one of them being gone :)
  • dittiepe
    Hi all,

Anyone interested in giving Atkins a go should check out their website (atkins.com). It gives you all of the information you will need to get started. You don't need to buy the book, it's all there for free :) You don't need to get ketone strips either, however if this is your first go on the lifestyle it's recommended to so you know when you're in ketosis and can judge your body.

If you sign up on the Atkins site and do their little quizzes, they will even send you a little kit
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Hi all! I'm not on the Atkins plan, but I am on a very low carb diet (<30g/day). The only time I'll eat carbs is right before and after my workouts. Been at it for a couple weeks now, and I feel great. My wife has also reduced the amount of carbs she eats and has seen great results.

Keep up the good work guys!
  • OK guys I need some encouramet this is the third day in row with no weight loss...I don't know what the issue is I still lose inches why would that be. I thought if I was losing inches the weight would go with it too.... :(. I am on long term inducton so I haven't upped my carbs or my protien- any body else stalling or have stalled and had weight loss later? Also how does one "keep things moving" you know what I mean-its been days!
  • jackvl
    jackvl Posts: 4 Member
    I have started doing Atkins every other day....on off days a low-carb diet.....with plenty of exerc:wink: ise very determined to loose this weight.....
  • jackvl
    jackvl Posts: 4 Member
    Hi,.....not sure why you are stalling but hang in there!!!!! I plan on only weighing myself twice a week Sunday and Wednesday Evenings....sometimes the daily weighing can be discouraging even if you know its water weight gain....Love the lost inches too!!!:heart:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    OK guys I need some encouramet this is the third day in row with no weight loss...I don't know what the issue is I still lose inches why would that be. I thought if I was losing inches the weight would go with it too.... :(. I am on long term inducton so I haven't upped my carbs or my protien- any body else stalling or have stalled and had weight loss later? Also how does one "keep things moving" you know what I mean-its been days!

If you're losing inches but not weight, it means you're replacing fat with muscle which is a very good thing. I wouldn't worry much about three days, though, especially if the inches are still moving downward.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    OK guys I need some encouramet this is the third day in row with no weight loss...I don't know what the issue is I still lose inches why would that be. I thought if I was losing inches the weight would go with it too.... :(. I am on long term inducton so I haven't upped my carbs or my protien- any body else stalling or have stalled and had weight loss later? Also how does one "keep things moving" you know what I mean-its been days!
    ]]]

when i did atkins.. the weight stalled then it all dropped one day lol. it's all just water weight anyway
  • dittiepe

Ok, 3 things I see right here: first, don't weigh yourself daily. Women fluctuate in weight even throughout a a day, and throughout a week. Pick 1 day a week and weigh yourself then.
    Second, if you're losing inches, you're replacing fat with muscle. This is a Good Thing. Muscle weighs more than fat, but is leaner(of course), and it burns more calories than fat does.
    Lastly, if you're having constipation issues, you're not getting enough fiber. Make sure that the majority of your carbs are green veggies. They're good fiber. Also try adding some beans into the mix if you can. And you can try using something like Benefiber to help if you aren't getting enough otherwise. Drink plenty of water too!
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member

Well if you are constipated that could have something to do with your stalled weight loss. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. The Atkins site specifically not to weigh yourself every day cause you can really drive yourself crazy with the daily fluctuation. But if you are losing inches that is wonderful, that means that you are most likely building lean muscle mass. A pound of fat takes up the size of 3 grapefruits and burns 2 calories per pound at rest. A pound of muscle takes the space of 2 oranges and burns 52 calories per pound at rest!

On the subject of "keeping things moving", I am having the same problem so far. I looked up a list of the highest fiber vegetables, and broccoli, brussel sprouts, and bell peppers are all good. But the clear winner is avocado it has a whole avocado has about 14 cabs but 12 of those are from fiber (so only 2 net carbs). I am going to get some of these and see how things go. Coffee is another Atkins friendly item that has been note to get things moving. Good luck!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Here's some of what I've learned...

Low Carb diets can help your body burn fat instead of carbs for fuel. But if you take in far too much fat, your body will just burn that for fuel and not the fat cells. Also, for some, too much protein can knock you out of ketosis, as your body will burn the excess like carbs. I've read anything higher than 40% protein can be too much.

So if you're stalling or not seeing results, this could be the culprit. Also be sure you're drinking tons of water, more than 8 glasses.

I set my nutrient ratios at 10% carbs, 50% fat, and 40% protein.

Calories are tricky for me. Everything I've read says we shouldn't go below a 500 calorie deficit from BMR on low carb. But I've tried this, and at the higher calorie level, I stall. So I'm trying a slightly lower calorie level - about 1400.

With exercise, weight training is best. But cardio is good, too. And the beauty of cardio is, unlike other dieters who need about 20 minutes to burn their glycogen stores, we don't have any. So the minute we start cardio, we're in fat burning mode. But you don't want to overdo the cardio.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Also how does one "keep things moving" you know what I mean-its been days!

Well if you are constipated that could have something to do with your stalled weight loss. I wouldn't worry about it too much though.

I completely missed this part. If you aren't eliminating your bowels, that's probably the reason you aren't losing weight right now. Try the Atkins muffin in a minute (MIM) which should help some. It's made with flax meal which has a pretty good amount of fiber and I know a few people who swear it helps to keep them regular. Definitely up your fiber intake, however you choose to do it and things should get moving again.
  • satura
    satura Posts: 1
    A friend of mine showed me the Atkins diet book and how she lost weight. I've been on and off the diet for a few months now and have lost 28 pounds since May! I'm great at starting things, but don't maintain things well, so I do it for 2 weeks and then take a break. By having a stopping point in site, I can make it the whole way. I want to lose 60 - 75 pounds, at this rate, I think I'll make it by the end of the year!
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Hi all! I'm not on the Atkins plan, but I am on a very low carb diet (<30g/day). The only time I'll eat carbs is right before and after my workouts. Been at it for a couple weeks now, and I feel great. My wife has also reduced the amount of carbs she eats and has seen great results.

Keep up the good work guys!
    That's almost exactly what I do as well. Some people refer to it as a Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD). It has worked great for me for four months and counting.
  • Hi!

I'm not doing the Atkins diet, but on Monday I set my macros for fat, protein and carbs at 40/30/30 respectively. I am limiting myself to an absolute maximum of 100g of carbs a day, except for going out/special occasions etc.

I realised that whenever I ate carbohydrates, I was constantly hungry and thought it odd that low-fat foods were so high in sugar. After watching a very brief video by Sean Croxton on the Underground Wellness channel on YouTube about a month ago (I highly recommend his videos! He talks A LOT of sense!) about sugar and it's drug-like effects on the body, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMWeRj77aWk) I started to wonder about the effect it had on me. Then, 2 weeks ago, I went on a crazy carb binge and it caused me to gain 4lbs!

The day I found out about the gain was the day I decided to go low carb. I watched Fat Head on Saturday and was so glad that it confirmed my choice to limit carbs. Today marks 7 days since then and after only ONE week, I have lost 6.1lbs! And I have noticed so many other amazing things that the scale does not reflect.

1. I was so bloated that I looked a few months pregnant after my carb overload. One week later, my stomach is a lot flatter.
    2. I am very satisfied after eating whereas before, after carb-rich meals, I was still hungry and would snack a lot.
    3. I feel lighter, which is a phenomenon I have never really felt before. It's awesome!

I'm sure there are others, but I have already bored you with this enormous post. I'm just so happy to find something that I can stick with for the rest of my life and something that makes me feel better. My sugar cravings have lessened by quite a bit (and I was a sugar addict) and I just feel so much better for this.
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Here's some of what I've learned...

Low Carb diets can help your body burn fat instead of carbs for fuel. But if you take in far too much fat, your body will just burn that for fuel and not the fat cells. Also, for some, too much protein can knock you out of ketosis, as your body will burn the excess like carbs. I've read anything higher than 40% protein can be too much.

So if you're stalling or not seeing results, this could be the culprit. Also be sure you're drinking tons of water, more than 8 glasses.

I set my nutrient ratios at 10% carbs, 50% fat, and 40% protein.

Calories are tricky for me. Everything I've read says we shouldn't go below a 500 calorie deficit from BMR on low carb. But I've tried this, and at the higher calorie level, I stall. So I'm trying a slightly lower calorie level - about 1400.

With exercise, weight training is best. But cardio is good, too. And the beauty of cardio is, unlike other dieters who need about 20 minutes to burn their glycogen stores, we don't have any. So the minute we start cardio, we're in fat burning mode. But you don't want to overdo the cardio.

I have heard the same things. I am also trying to keep my calories to about 1,400, and 10% carbs, 50% fat, and 40% protein. Which means that i need to eat 35g carbs, 140 g of protein, and 77 g of fat. This works out pretty well since I am supposed to eat 15 grams of fiber leaving my net carbs at 20g. I found this really cool calculator that makes this super easy to calculate.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm
  • dittiepe
    The Atkins diet recommends that you eat 4-6oz of protein at a meal. That usually comes in around 70-90g of protein/day. You don't really need to go over that.
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    I'm in phase 2, just because I love to eat nuts and usually tend to go a bit more over 20 carbs a day. I did do the first 2 weeks at 20 carbs and lost 13lbs of water weight. I've been on and off of Atkins for probably about 4 months now, but I'm definitely sticking with it now. I've decided that carbs can be your worst enemy. They definitely are for me. My bestfriend has lost 75lbs in a year on Atkins and she was 5'4 and 234lbs when she started. So she is definitely one of my biggest motivators. Over the past 4 months that I have been off and on Atkins, I have gone from 274lbs to 241lbs. So for, excuse my language, half assing it, I would say that is pretty good. I encourage you all to stick with it. I know we can do it. :) Feel free to add me. I love all the friends I can get. Especially the ones that follow my lifestyle.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    I am a true Atkins devotee....so I'll be watching this thread. Good Luck everyone!:happy:
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    BUMP BUMP BUMP. im actually on dukan, but im on attack phase which is strict protein only. the only difference is im not allowed fat either, only super low fat stuff :S