One meal a day.

What are your views on the one meal a day diet, is it effective?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Depends on your preferences.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Effective how? One meal a day isn't a diet, it's a meal pattern. I wouldn't want to do it, I like to spread my daily intake over three or four meals.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    I could not do this!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    It is not easy to get all your nutrition needs in one seating, especially protein. I like having one meal a day but the only way to get all your calories in one meal is either not clean eating or Thanksgiving dinner. So I stretch it and make it a 6 hour feeding window.
    With that said, if I know I have a big meal coming ( going out or going to Mom's for dinner), I save my calories for that meal.
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    I did it as an experiment I had a feeding window 6pm to 9pm. Waiting all day was worth it when it was time to feast. It was amazing but problem is i lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks
  • BrooklynBooty
    BrooklynBooty Posts: 39 Member
    That is ridiculous! I could never live on one meal a day. I eat 6 small meals a day and lost tons of weight. Your body needs fuel just like a car. When it starts to run low on gas you need to fill it up. Not overflow the tank but enough to get it to the next stop. If you don't it will just run on fumes which we all know is really bad for your car and starts to affect other parts.

That's how I feel about it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    DaveC29 wrote: »
    If you eat a lot of fats in your diet (like a keto style diet) it is a lot easier to do. The fats keep you satiated longer and will make it easier to go a longer period of time before you feel hungry again.

I follow a keto diet and will do the intermittent fasting after a 'carb day' to get back into ketosis. Intermittent fasting for me is a 4 hour eating cycle (get all my nutrition in 4 hours) and a 20 hour fast. I have a hard time eating a 'clean' 1800-2000 calories in one meal. I'll break it up into 2 meals for comfort.

Bottom line- don't starve yourself for a fad. Eat when you're hungry and eat things that will kep you fuller for longer.

fats dont keep everyone satiated,for some its carbs for others it may be protein.its going to vary from person to person.
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    I do this, in a way, even when gaining weight. I'll have small snacks throughout the day and then one large dinner. This is usually five or six days a week. It will be Intermittent fasting, 8 hour eating, 16 hour fast. The big dinner will be anything I want, but is usually healthy... such as chicken, beans, and rice. Some people consider snacks meals, but I've never thought of them that way. My snacks would be a protein shake or a drink called Orgain (protein/carb drink), or piece of fruit.

I'm only really hungry around dinner time, so I just have a large meal at that time. I've always done this and it's easy to me. I just manipulate calories to gain or lose weight. I usually ignore blogs for advice, but this one was interesting and discusses who eats one meal a day and the research behind the benefits of it: https://lifeforbusypeople.com/2016/07/23/longevity-why-i-eat-once-a-day/
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    Usually I eat two regular sized meals, a small breakfast, and small meal in the late evening. If I get hungry between meals a piece of fruit or cuppa. I used to be a three meal a day gal, that got modified over the years and somehow fits the schedual of the place I'm in now.