The Secret Life of Fat

amflautist
amflautist Posts: 941 Member
Book by Sylvia Tara, PhD. Blows my mind!

Chapter 5. How fat fights to stay on you.

Researchers recruited (a) fat people who were at their highest weight for at least the past 6 months, and (b) normal weight people. All subjects lived in a hospital where their diets and exercise were strictly monitored. (They were allowed to go to work, etc.) First, subjects were given 800-calorie-per-day drinks composed of a standard % of fat/protein/carbo. They drank their meals daily until they lost 10% of their body fat. This usually took one to two months.

Next, after losing the weight, subjects were strictly monitored for weight gain, etc, while they were given 'maintenance' diets.

And here is the part that blows my mind. After a person has lost 10% of his body fat, his body needs 22% fewer calories to maintain the lower weight than a similar person who was never fatter. The lower metabolism after weight loss is REAL, and it is composed of 15% lower basal metabolism plus 25% lower metabolism during activity or exercise!

Just wondering - does this fit you? Do you know that you need fewer calories than mfp claims, just to maintain your weight? Or to lose weight?

Oh yes. I do recommend this book.

Replies

• wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    I don't know if it fits me or not because I use the MFP calculator for my calories, and I'm losing weight. I'm up in to the 1400's now. However, I generally don't eat back exercise calories, I'm going to start trying though. I'll let you know in a couple months. I don't know if it's just me, but when I see the meals others post, I feel like a hog because almost all of mine are HUGE in comparison to theirs. lolol
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    I try to touch MFP suggestion of 1500 cal but hardly cross 1000 since I can't take more than that in a single meal. I trust my instincts and feel satiated with just that. I see results too. I also splurge every Sunday and touch 1200 in 2 meals. That keeps my metabolism confused about deciding whether to go down or not. So it hasn't got affected I guess, since I see no changes in energy levels or anything. In fact I have better energy levels with OMAD. But this is just me, it may be different for someone else.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    What does it say if you are trying to lose 25% of your weight? Do I need to keep cutting by 22% after every 10% drop?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Exercise will keep the metabolism up. I also think it is important to have a big meal often like omad allows so even tho on a daily basis there is a deficit , when you eat the meal the calorie consumtion rate is high for a period. I think that might help keep metabolism from declining as much as compared to lots of small meals with the same deficit. My hunch only.