Calcium

Options
Rainqueen77
Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
Is this one of the electrolytes that need to be supplemented?

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    If you're eating dairy products, I very much doubt it.
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    So this is a post on facebook. Says to supplement electrolytes and says the amounts.
    eahzfg2eek2c.jpg

It's the reply post I was wondering about. Is that for real?
    9v6gnwtpa02e.png
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I would presume that's for people who aren't eating enough calcium in their diet. The way I'm taking calcium and other essential nutrients, hell, I don't even need anything added to my water on a fast.....
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    "calcification of arteries"...now there's a clue. Ya don't want EXCESS calcium. The body needs to signal the calcium to the BONES, not the arteries. I suggest to do your own research about this if you have any concerns about heart health.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Calcium from natural sources, like cheese, canned salmon, sardines and certain veggies is always best.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting lecture on heart disease (calcification of coronary arteries), Vitamins D, A, and K.

https://youtu.be/9H7tbWVNrXQ
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've been told repeatedly that if you are eating whole foods and including a variety of meats and greens, you do not need to add any calcium. We tend to not absorb calcium well, or if we do, we don't have the directions to tell it properly where to go. The D3 helps to absorb it. The K2 (M7 form) helps it to route to where it needs to go (bones, muscles, etc.). The magnesium and potassium help it to get there, and boron and zinc help it to stay in the bones and such, rather than get pulled back out or drift out through poor cellular barriers. It's all in a balance.

In my experience, calcium and potassium are the two of these that aren't generally required to be supplemented, as enough is still generally present in whole foods. Some others may be present your additional food choices, depending on the variety of your food intake. Others are very difficult to find in foods anymore (like Magnesium, due to soil depletion, pesticides, GMOs, etc.).

But above all, the reason so many people are deficient in calcium is NOT due to lack of intake, it's due to poor absorption and routing and nutrients...

Edited to add: Dr. Berg has some videos on this, but I don't have any links at hand.
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    You know when I joined the group I went from the beginning and read almost ever post. Didn't think anyone was ever concerned with calcium. Just double checking. Thanks for the information.