Food pre-workout

I'm curious to see what others eat before their workout. I'm an early riser. I get up at 4:50 and am working out by 5:30. I've experimented with cheese, yogurt, bananas, or trail mix as pre-workout fuel. After my workout, I follow up with a protein drink.

What do you use and why? Should I be doing something different?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    It comes down to personal preference. If I am doing a lower body or full body lifting session in the morning, I'll eat a full breakfast (eggs + oats + cheese + fruit + milk + coffee.) If I'm taking a walk or 30 minute run or upper body lifting only, I'll eat afterward.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Back when I woke up and immediately went to the gym, I only drank a cup of coffee beforehand. Nowadays, I only lift in the mornings on the weekend. And when I do, I typically have a cup of coffee and a protein bar about an hour before I go.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    I usually have some protein powder mixed in with instant coffee and amino energy. Lately, when training early (5 AM or earlier), I've been going with just coffee.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    When I workout at 5am. I only have a pre workout powder. No food. I eat later on in the day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If it is a shorter workout (under 90 minutes), I generally do best without eating anything beforehand. If I am very hungry, I will have a bit of bread or some dried fruit, but the majority of the time I just wake up, drink some water, and work out.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I like having a small snack (200-400 cals) about 2 hours before my workout or else I may get stomach cramps. 1.5-2 hours is the sweet spot for me.

I avoid dairy for my pre-workout because it makes me phlegmy. A mix of protein and carbs tends to work best for me. A ham sandwich, bagel, peanut butter with apple slices, etc.

It's different for everyone - just keep experimenting until you find your sweet spot.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    I'm curious to see what others eat before their workout. I'm an early riser. I get up at 4:50 and am working out by 5:30. I've experimented with cheese, yogurt, bananas, or trail mix as pre-workout fuel. After my workout, I follow up with a protein drink.

What do you use and why? Should I be doing something different?

I workout that early as well, but I just take BCAAs and then have a post-workout protein smoothie.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I work out after work, so I usually just grab a banana or a piece of string cheese for a quick boost before heading to the gym. I don't have a strenuous workout going on yet though. Just 30-45 mins on the exercise bike x 5 days per week. Moderate pace.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Sometimes if I feel hungry, I will eat a piece of peanut butter toast with some slices of banana on it. Sometimes I don't have to eat anything. But I work out after work in the evenings.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    You can always workout in a fasted state.. just drink some water or coffee with bcaa's, maybe some creatine.
    For me, if it's an intense cardio session I'll eat a banana or half an apple with a dip of almond butter about an hour before...
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I usually do a fasted workout because I get cramps if I eat, but if my workout is later in the morning I can have yogurt and it doesn't bother me.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    I almost always do it fasted. I don't like to work out with anything on my stomach. It makes me nauseous.
  • julesEMS2016
    julesEMS2016 Posts: 44 Member
    I'm actually surprised at how many of you workout on an empty stomach in the morning. When I first started working out in the mornings I did that but found pretty quickly that I'd be sick shortly after the workout and would have a headache; which was usually fixed by food. I never thought to put protein in coffee, might be worth a try. :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I like sugar. Rice Krispie treat, maybe an apple. I really like a protein bar but it seems like I should have it after a workout. Still, I really just do what I want. I've been seen eating sour patch kids and candy DURING my workout.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I like sugar. Rice Krispie treat, maybe an apple. I really like a protein bar but it seems like I should have it after a workout. Still, I really just do what I want. I've been seen eating sour patch kids and candy DURING my workout.

Yepp that's where it's at ;)
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    I prefer to fast and eat when my workout is done.. I find that when I eat prior I feel sluggish and don't push as hard.. So black coffee and water in the morning before workout..
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    1/2 a protein bar but I have switched to nothing. There is an aspect of training your body to regulate on a low amount of calories. I am training for my first marathon so it is important. I can say, I haven't missed the early food that much. See the article on fasted cardio.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    I don't eat anything prior to a workout because my stomach gets upset while I'm working out. If I'm going to run after work I make sure that I haven't eaten anything for at least an hour or two before my run.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2017
    If I don't eat first thing in the morning I feel super nauseous, especially if I'm working out early. I have to eat. I have a banana and maybe a piece of toast with a tbsp of peanut butter.