Results?

So I have just recently decided to switch up my workouts. Usually I do just cardio. That is how I lost 20+ lb before, BUT I was still not getting the defined/toned look I wanted. So I'm switching to strength training (and it's kicking my butt). My question is, and I know everyone is different, but how long until you started seeing the results of weight lifting (toning)?

Replies

• riley_kinnett
    riley_kinnett Posts: 60 Member
    Side note: I'm not doing ONLY strength training. Instead of just doing an hour of cardio, I've started doing 30 min of cardio and 30 min of weights.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    About 2 years ago I joined a gym for the first time in my life. After losing the few lbs that I wanted to lose, I started my half assed version of recomp. This entailed lifting 40 minutes 4 times a week using machines and dumbells. It took me 6 months to get the look I was going for (which may not be the look everyone is going for, I just wanted strength and some abs), but I'm sure I could have gotten those exact same results a bit quicker had I followed a program and did a bulk and cut.
  • psilver063
    psilver063 Posts: 7 Member
    Hey Riley,

So about 5 weeks ago I started changing my life by eating better and working out. I log everything that goes in my body which really helps me see trends. I'm 34 year old male who just needed something to change in my life. I just felt flat out gross and knew I was self inflicting the feeling by not taking control. So long story short I began doing research and found there is just way too much information out there. I then decided to go to a local personal trainer who has a small studio/gym that allows me to work out with proper guidance 1x a week and then I have access to the studio 24/7. So I started the first 3 weeks with 7 days of 30 min cardio run/walk (usually get in about 2.0 miles in 30 min). And 2 days strength training. 1 day with my PT and 1 day on my own. After the first few weeks I was adjusted mentally to the work outs so I have added my 3rd day a week of full body strength training and still do 7 days of 30 min cardio. Notice I didn't say I was adjusted physically, the reason being is if I'm adjusted physically I'm not pushing hard enough. I want to feel that burn, not pain but burn. If I don't feel it I have more reps in me or another set or up the weight. So anyway, I'm up to 2.5 miles a day in 30 minutes in cardio, I'm down 11lbs and I totally see a change in muscle definition. I didn't notice my change until about 7-10 days ago but it is definetly there. Hopefully this helps you.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I noticed visible changes after about 6 weeks of starting strength training, however I felt more flexible and stronger after about 2 weeks. I tend to see a difference about every 4-6 weeks, however I've a lot of weight to lose (60lb overall - I'm down about 24 so far).

Everyone is different though!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    It depends. Are you doing a progressive strength routine and increasing weights or reps each week? I think most results depend on what routine you are doing. Reps and sets will also affect this.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    About eight weeks. Using a proven progressive lifting program (Stronglifts 5X5).
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Same as others - Depends. Depends on the program you are following, your diet, if you are observant with yourself (some don't notice their own changes), etc...

In my experience, it took a good couple months for me to truly notice small cuts (muscles showing a little).

Keep it up!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    So I have just recently decided to switch up my workouts. Usually I do just cardio. That is how I lost 20+ lb before, BUT I was still not getting the defined/toned look I wanted. So I'm switching to strength training (and it's kicking my butt). My question is, and I know everyone is different, but how long until you started seeing the results of weight lifting (toning)?

You get "toned" by A) having muscle, and B) losing the fat that's hiding the muscle.

You seemed to be focused on A and ignoring B. Do a decent weight program (New Rules of Lifting for Women is very popular here), eat at a small deficit, and you'll get "toned."

One thing to note: Weight lifting makes some people (like me) VERY hungry, especially in the beginning.