New to Ketogenic Diet

Hi everybody. I heard about the ketogenic diet a few years ago and am just now getting around to trying it. It is Day 4 for me and I am already bored with the food, very tired, and have so many questions. I am on MFP in an attempt to connect with others on the diet, new and experienced. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Hthrbee1978
    Hthrbee1978 Posts: 26 Member
    khest25 wrote: »
    Hi everybody. I heard about the ketogenic diet a few years ago and am just now getting around to trying it. It is Day 4 for me and I am already bored with the food, very tired, and have so many questions. I am on MFP in an attempt to connect with others on the diet, new and experienced. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You will be tired in general and sick feeling (most people experience this and call it the "keto flu").
    Bored with the food? What are you eating on average? I got tired of eating bacon and eggs so I started experimenting with fathead Pizza dough, low carb wraps, chicken wings, etc.. the possibilities are really endless, but you have to get creative sometimes.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    There are lots and lots of friendly supportive low carbers over at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

good resources, advice and recipes as well as support. the keto flu isn't necessary at all. You need salt.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    khest25 wrote: »

Keto sucks for a few days and then it's very easy. I recommend looking at other keto-specific forums for food ideas; there no need at to be bored.
  • tnelso
    tnelso Posts: 1 Member
    I recommend finding some new recipes:) my husband and I started keto about a week ago and since then I have gotten over the "keto flu" and kicked my MT Dew. I have lost 3 pounds, ( after factoring in water retention and loss). my husband has a sweet tooth so I made low carb cheesecake, homemade low carb penny butter cups, bacon wrapped asparagus, bacon wrapped chicken etc.. There are tons ofnrecipiea online for people who choose to eat low carb.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member

ramp up the electrolytes and you can keep the keto flu minimized. i only had a couple days in the beginning where i felt blah (mild headaches, very tired.) but drinking chicken bouillon and salting everything fixed it for me.
  • BrickHouse2011
    BrickHouse2011 Posts: 91 Member
    Today is my day three. I changed my Macros so they can match my new goals. My problems is getting more fat than protein.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    There are SO many tasty options on Keto! There are a few FB groups that I've found extremely helpful for information and support. I'm in the LC group here too and if you search Pinterest for Keto recipes you will find so many options! I have some food limitations because I have IBS so a few of the low carb staples are off limits to me, making my options even more limited than many people, and yet I still have a variety of foods to choose from. I've only been doing it for three weeks but I've barely scratched the surface for food options. And I feel so much better, my body doesn't hurt (I have fibromyalgia too) and I have much more energy than expected! It's making it so much easier to stick with my way of eating that I am actually losing weight again.

One thing to remember on Keto, ramp up your electrolytes. It will help with carb flu and energy. If you have muscle cramps, headache, low energy, etc, then you're dealing with the carb flu. You don't have to just tough it out, electrolytes will help immensely!