Daily Accountability Check-in

Replies

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Had a midnight carb binge even though I'd used just about every strategy that i know of to not do that.
    Several food items are headed for the dumpster this morning.
    Im going to chalk this up as a last hurrah type thing, since my next keto adventure begins today - waiting for ketostix delivery now- and thanks to my keto cabinets... it wasnt as bad as it could have been.
    So, I'm trusting that I can get this started again even though I hadca few mis-starts, but I do want to succeed.
    I remember that the first couple weeks are most challenging as it takes time for the carb cravings to subside, so I hope I can grit my teeth, keep busy with fulfilling nonfood activities and get this job done!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Are ketostix supposed to be accurate?

I ended up at 53 total, 37 net yesterday, and had a nice 4 mile run, in which I could tell I'm still not normal. It's only with running (and trying to bound up stairs, sometimes) that I feel sluggish. I realize I need to be patient (it's been only since Sunday), but I'm paranoid that if I am too high (although I don't think I should be) I won't get into ketosis or adapt and this will linger longer than it should.

I don't think this is a rational fear and is just my normal impatience, but I am tempted to start testing if they are accurate (I think the deal with ketostix is that they are accurate enough at first but aren't after time?).

Does anyone know?
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    My understanding re. ketostix is as follows: They measure acetoacetate in your urine, and that does not necessarily track with beta-hydroxybutyrate in your blood stream. As you become more fat-adapted, your body will naturally expell less acetoacetate into your urine, so the ketostix may show less and less of a result over time.

In my own personal experience, I find they are 'accurate enough'. I went LCHF in August 2016 and I can still routinely turn the strip purple.

Not that dark purple is necessary. Basically as long as there is any colour at all, then there is acetoacetate in your urine and therefore there's probably ketones in your blood. The actual number may not be relevant, but take it as a 'yes or no' result.
  • elize7
    I'm just using it as a motivator. I get that it isnt as accurate as one would hope, but just seeing any ketones activity at all seems to get me motivated.
  • lemurcat12
    Thanks, that's pretty much all I'd need too. Just wanted to make sure they work for that.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Another good day, my macros were good. I've managed to up the protein, my carbs are always under 20 and I just don't worry about the fat. I am full, so all is well.
  • Balaga8611
    Balaga8611 Posts: 53 Member
    I just discovered this thread, and I hope it's not too late to join in. I can't seem to get past day 9 without sabotaging myself. Hopefully posting daily will keep me honest. Afternoon and Evening eating is my downfall. Currently I'm on Day 4 of staying on track (after a rather massive binge on Tuesday and Wednesday). I'm leaving this afternoon for Austin to visit my daughter and grandson for a couple of days. Fingers crossed!
  • lemurcat12
    Welcome!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Just got back from my Disney World trip! Overall, I'm feeling ok with my choices. I did not stick to low carb while I was there, but I did try to stay as low carb as possible until dinnertime each day which is progress! The first meal out, the friend I was with put pressure on me to eat carbs. I know I could have just said "I'm making this choice and I'm sticking with it, sorry", but she kind of laid the guilt on me. She wanted to split appetizers and get desserts and was hoping I'd split them with her so she wouldn't have to pay the whole amount and so I'd share with her. Augh... She won. However I stayed strong a lot of the time. I would tell her "I'm staying low carb til dinner" and then at dinner I'd veer a little off the low carb. Still, I am proud of myself because I'd say I remained 80% low carb for the trip and that's something, especially for my first 2 weeks of the lifestyle! Tonight I got home and had a low carb dinner, so I'm fully back at it!
  • elize7
    Another day on plan. Under carbs, cals good. Earlier today there were trace amounts of ketones on my ketostix, now no, but it's only been 36 hours. Maybe tomorrow morning...feeling good overall, getting reinterested in my life after a setback. Work starts up again tomorrow, thank god. Too much time on my hands winds up not being great for my psyche.
    Can't wait for a good ketone reading and a big old whoosh.
    Have a great night, pals!
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2017
    Did a long run today. I'd actually decided to just go and if I felt sluggish still do what seemed reasonable and cut it short (although it was a beautiful day). Ended up feeling by far the best I have since starting this (on day 7) and ran without a problem much longer than expected. Was running out of steam more than I normally would have been by the end, but managed to do a bit of extra energy to end on, and just generally felt pretty good.

I also did my first dinner out since starting this (this coming week is going to pose various similar challenges). I felt like I had some leeway due to the long run, but I also don't want to lose the progress made -- have to read more about how the exercise fat adaptation works. Restaurant did not have clearcut extremely low carb choices so I definitely was not as low carb as I've been, but I think it wasn't too bad.

I think I may get the ketostix just because I am curious.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Seajolly wrote: »
    ....the friend I was with put pressure on me to eat carbs. I know I could have just said "I'm making this choice and I'm sticking with it, sorry", but she kind of laid the guilt on me. She wanted to split appetizers and get desserts and was hoping I'd split them with her so she wouldn't have to pay the whole amount and so I'd share with her. Augh... She won.

I applaud you for your continued effort.
    However, in your shoes, I'd hang out far less with the guilt-trip friend who holds you hostage emotionally and pressures you to do what she wants, so she can benefit, but you can suffer.
    I'm actually sorry - and a little angry on your behalf - that someone who calls themselves 'your friend' can feel entitled to corner you into that position.

The discussion from her PoV, would be "I wanted a whole bunch of stuff to eat, but *Seajolly* was going on about this low-carb crap, so I put the pressure on her because no way was I gonna pay for that stuff all on my own, and eat it, so I kinda made her feel guilty about it, to do what I wanted - and she caved! Hah! Got my way, and the food was lush - and she paid half of it! Woo-hoo! So yeah - I had a GREAT time!"

Okay okay, I don't know your friend, and maybe I'm being harsh. But seems to me she cared more about herself and what she wanted, than paying attention to what sacrifices YOU were having to make!

Ok. I'm done.

Welcome back!

• TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Did a 20 hour fast on Friday to try and change my snacking habit. I am eating way too many almonds. Have stopped buying them and bought some jerkey instead. Hope this will work.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    @Seajolly, I'm so glad it turned out to be such a positive milestone for you.
    I'm sorry for dissing your friend, but if there's one thing that does get my dander up, it's the lack of respect some feel entitled to show, simply because they're familiar with you.
    Kudos to you for cultivating and exercising the willpower you did. I'm glad it demonstrated to you just how well you've done, and how far you've come!
    I would predict that it will get easier and easier every time.

Hugs!!
  • elize7
    Good day so far, ketowise ad activity wise. Going to bed early tonite to avoid temptation...these first two weeks are critical in getting me on track...
    ketones showed up on my ketostix again. That makes me a happy camper.
    Just a few more ounces off the bod and I will earn my first retail reward....a new, very cool patterned yoga towel.
    So excited.
  • Seajolly
    Full day back on the lifestyle after veering slightly off on my trip. Feeling great! This WOE was so easy for me to get back on after a few days of eating carbs.
  • elffkin
    elffkin Posts: 13 Member
    Hi, I have been frustrated by no weight loss for a week and a half. I have to say, that for me, any refined carbs are like poison. Normally, I avoid that at all costs. But recently, I broke down and ate a sandwich...sigh. I think I have to eat only veggie or "whole food" carbs in order to lose. I am not sure why; it may just be a plateau, and I will move past it.
    I have Type II diabetes, and I have done well getting it under control with diet and exercise. Part of that is testing my blood every morning and not living in denial.
    But, weight loss really helps get the A1C down, and until I feel I am at a normal or stable weight, I will still be on a weight loss program, rather than a simple "eating right" program. Good luck everyone!
  • Seajolly
    The scale has stalled the last few days, but it's too be expected I guess after getting back from my vacation on Sunday. I've increased my exercise the past 2 days, taking bike rides. Hopefully that'll help the scale move again. :)
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2017
    I am having a challenging week this week because I have to go out a lot. Part one was last night and turned out to be pretty easy, as I was at a steak house. No clue how accurate my calorie count was, but I doubt the carbs were beyond my usual dinner. More challenging will be this weekend, starting with tomorrow night when I am going out for Indian food. The main thing here is that I really want to be able to skip rice and naan without it being noticed/remarked upon that I am doing so, which is perhaps too much to ask.

I seem to have stopped even trying to get carbs below 50, but they are consistently in the 50s, with net in the 30s, mostly.