How often do YOU eat fast food/takeout/restaurant food?

Replies

• stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Dinners: Friday nights is usually pizza night or something similar. Other than that, we'll out eat every now and then (maybe a couple times a month).
    Lunch: About 2-3 times a month I'll go out to lunch with my co-workers.
    Breakfast: Maybe once a month, if that.
    Vacations are a free for all!!!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Maybe once/twice a week. My husband is gone at dinnertime one day a week so I like to get Taco Bell and binge watch shows he doesn't want to watch with me after I get off from work that day :) I don't do that on weeks I have plans with the husband/family/friends to eat out somewhere else, but that is for money reasons mostly.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Maybe once a month, tops, and when I do go out it's usually for sushi.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Take-out or a restaurant meal about once a week or every ten days. Usually Thai or Vietnamese. I rarely eat fast food because most menu items contain things I can't have (wheat, soy, MSG). However, there are a couple places with healthier options that I've found. Chipotle, Baja Fresh, Panerra Bread.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Maybe once a week. If we have parties or events on the weekend then we don't eat out at all. Last weekend we had a birthday party, dinner with new friends (at their house) and a church picnic.

I have 3 young kids, definitely puts a damper on enjoying eating out so it's not super tempting.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    katadx wrote: »
    I really like how regulated the subway formulas are though. We have a certain # of slices of meat, cheese, and veggies (unless you request more veggies for free, of course that doesn't change the cals too much!) and sauce.

Sadly I used to like to go get a footlong veggie, no cheese, and I went to the one near my work. The woman put four tiny tomato slices on the whole footlong and a tiny sprinkling of lettuce (this was before even adding the other veggies). I asked "since it's no cheese could I please get a little more veggies on it?" And she said "No, we can't give extra." I was so disappointed, so I stopped going.

Oh my gosh that is so not cool of her. How long ago was this? Now a days the formulas are 6 tomatoes, 6 cucumbers, 6 pickles, etc. At most subways they are supposed to place on as much as the customer requests (within sane reason - not an entire lb of lettuce lol!) I had a guy ask for so much black pepper on his sub it was completely black and I couldn't see the veggies anymore! Another lady got so much lettuce the sub wouldn't close and she got an open faced sub!
  • GoldBikiniGoals
    GoldBikiniGoals Posts: 47 Member
    I work 9.5 hour shifts in a mall so fast food is always pretty tempting, typically more for the convenience than the taste. I buy breakfast 1-2 days per week (Tim Hortons), lunch probably twice a week (Swiss Chalet or chinese) and dinner maybe once every two weeks. I order in pizza with wings and cheesy bread once a month or so.

I will say I'm cautious about making sure my choices fit within my calories, but I also have a bigger caloric budget than a lot of people (1900).
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    2 to 3 times a week. I still get fast food just alot less of it and fairly easy to work into my macros
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    More than I really should, I think. I have breakfast at home almost always. Maybe once a month or less I will get breakfast out with a friend. The rest of the meals though, game on! For lunch, I usually get a salad from Jason's Deli (I try to limit carbs), or a bunless burger and side salad from a fast food place if I am going that route, or some pollo asado with avocado and salad from a fast casual Mexican place. I usually go alone and I eat while I am working. Dinner is kind of a mix. Sometimes a frozen meal, sometimes rotisserie chicken with roasted cauliflower at home. Out of 21 meals in a week, I probably get 10 or so out.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    The last time i went out to eat or had takeout was mid last year sometime. It was so long ago, i cant even remember exactly.

We're always saying we have to go out to dinner soon, but neither of us could be bothered lol
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    katadx wrote: »
    Oh my gosh that is so not cool of her. How long ago was this? /quote]

About three years ago. She wasn't pleasant. I was scared to argue.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Every Friday and Saturday, and most Sundays.
    Usually not fast food. Mostly restaurants and "fast-casual" places (I love Chipotle)
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Rarely if I am not on vacation. I'll get a veggie pizza from the Costco food court every other week. Husband and I will eat half one Friday and freeze and eat the other half the next. Sad because I used to make all my own pizzas, but I just haven't had the time lately for that. :/
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    If you include takeout and workplace cafeteria, about once per day.

We (family) do takeout such as a pizza, Chinese food, or taqueria offerings 1 - 2 nights per week, and I'll sometimes add a third night because I am not a huge pasta fan and the rest of the family is (i.e., pasta for you guys and street tacos for me tonight!). I'll also frequently do lunches out myself. Not a lot of traditional chain fast foods (e.g., McD's, etc.) but just because there are a lot of local offerings that are still within money budget and are tasty options. One regular FF chain is Chipotle when I am trying to nail down logging better.

Going out to sit down at a restaurant for a family meal or with friends, etc. -- not nearly that often; maybe a few times a month.

As to how it might affect your logging and your efforts at losing / maintenance / gaining efforts (if that sparked the thread), two big things for me: (1) it is much, much, *much* easier to accurately hit calorie and macro target goals when cooking for oneself most of the time; and, related, (2) logging is very much on a "reasonable efforts" basis when eating food prepared by others -- essentially one must do one's best to log accurately, but be prepared to ignore the CICO math of your raw logging and rely way more on actual measurable results (weight, measurements, visuals) to tune one's effort (because the CICO math is riddled with estimates on CI).
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    Never. 100% clean nutritional plan here . I only eat extra lean protein, steel cut oats, flaxseed, and do vegetable juicing twice a day. I have no desire for processed food like product or junk. If it didn't grow out of the ground or come from an animal I don't eat it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I go out for lunch one day of the work week (Friday) and eat from home the other 4 days. And we average eating out 2x a week as a family id say.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Never. 100% clean nutritional plan here . I only eat extra lean protein, steel cut oats, flaxseed, and do vegetable juicing twice a day. I have no desire for processed food like product or junk. If it didn't grow out of the ground or come from an animal I don't eat it.

No one mentioned eating fake food on this thread. :huh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017

Setting aside all the other issues with those limitations (cooked veg are bad? a ribeye is unclean? a salmon is bad), I am glad to know that restaurant chefs all make "processed food like product or junk." I mean, they cook food, but so do I, at home, even my "extra lean protein" and "steel cut oats" when I have them (pro tip, doing steel cut oats in a rice cooker works great).

Salmon is a much better source for omega 3 than flaxseed, btw. http://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/why-not-flaxseed-oil
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

That sounds unnecessarily restrictive...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Depends, averaging probably 1-2 times a week but sometimes it's quite a few meals if my brain is being a bugger.

Largely Japanese (I have the best restaurant that delivers) or Chinese. Sometimes McDonald's, sometimes the wood fired pizza place.

And then about once a month I go the fancy supermarket (M&S food hall) and get a few of their convenience snacks and meals. Had a wood fired single serve pizza for about 500 calories the other day. Easy peasy to fit into my day and delicious! It even had high calorie salami on it, it's like magic or something that they kept it so low calorie.