Stonglifts less 1 day every 2 weeks - Effectiveness?

Silentpadna
Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
First, some context. [ETA - started a similar thread a few days ago, but that was before settling on going with a strength-based program. Sorry if the thread looks familiar]

54yo Male. Working on weight loss. SW = 240. CW = 206. GW = 175 (depending on body fat - that may change the goal, i.e. weight is not as important as overall fitness to me).

After finishing up P90 (no X) to get back into reasonable shape (or at least able to function again), along with upping my step count to about 15K per day vigorous, I am convinced I need to get into weights. The P90 (no X) has resistance training and some dumb bell stuff, which was fine, but I know I need to incorporate more to preserve muscle.

I would like to do the strong lifts program (or starting strength or similar), however, I do not have the home equipment. I also have a limitation in terms of which days I can do the program because of access to our company's gym.

Over a typical 2-week schedule, I can access our company gym M-W-F, M-W, meaning instead of working out 3x per week, I would get 5x per 2-weeks, missing 1.

Is missing that one day on a regular basis enough to have a large impact of the program's effectiveness? For those of you that lift regularly and are in one of these programs, would the regular missed day be something that would cause you not to do the program?

And lastly, if you did do the program, what might you substitute for the missing day (for me this would have to be a home workout of some sort - as I mentioned before, I do have some dumb bells)?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    I'm sure you would still make progress, as long as you kept the correct rotation. However, if it were me I would pick a different program. StrongLifts and starting strength have very simple, specific designs, and I'm sure you can find a more flexible one that fits your schedule and make plenty of progress.

"A workout routine" has a program that can be adapted based on your schedule. It's may not be as great as SL and SS for beginners that want to gain significant strength relatively quickly, but it does look pretty solid.

I don't know, if you're going to commit to a program, don't half-*kitten* it. Just pick a different program.
  • HdezJ
    HdezJ Posts: 162 Member
    Well ill put my 2 cents worth. By no means do i consider myself buff but I did strong lifts starting out. I can tell you it works. I got stronger, for example i stsrted lifting 95lbs on military press and now i can work out with 120 5 sets of 5. Its simple and effective. The lifts are bench, military press, squats, and deadlifts. Easy if your just starting out since you dont have to get to fancy with the moves. Id recommend asking someone to show you proper form and from there go for it.
  • HdezJ
    Since your going to be doing it 1 day less, just make sure to go beast mode in the gym. Tear those weights up. Maybe do bench, rows, squats, press and 1 set of deadlifts every two days a wk. Stsrting with low weight and incresding slowly each wk.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    HdezJ wrote: »
    Since your going to be doing it 1 day less, just make sure to go beast mode in the gym. Tear those weights up. Maybe do bench, rows, squats, press and 1 set of deadlifts every two days a wk. Stsrting with low weight and incresding slowly each wk.

I disagree. This is completely changing the program. Plus, the point of stronglifts is to start very light, perfect your form and steadily increase your strength. It specifically says to not combine workouts. You do not "beast mode" a beginner program...
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Well ill put my 2 cents worth. By no means do i consider myself buff but I did strong lifts starting out. I can tell you it works. I got stronger, for example i stsrted lifting 95lbs on military press and now i can work out with 120 5 sets of 5. Its simple and effective. The lifts are bench, military press, squats, and deadlifts. Easy if your just starting out since you dont have to get to fancy with the moves. Id recommend asking someone to show you proper form and from there go for it.

My app also has bent over rows.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    You'll be fine. Do it. Have fun.
  • HdezJ
    The truth is you have to challange your body, of course your not going to lift weights your cant handle. Thats just common since but you do want to have that mentality of pushing yourself, what I likw to call "beast mode".
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    The truth is you have to challange your body, of course your not going to lift weights your cant handle. Thats just common since but you do want to have that mentality of pushing yourself, what I likw to call "beast mode".

No. If you're doing SL, so the sets/reps/weights prescribed.
  • HdezJ
    The guy just stated that he can only do it 2 days a wk. So technically he's not following stronglifts and he will have plenty of time to rest throughout the wk.
    Just do the compound movements involved in that work out and youll be set. Doing those main compound movements will build a solid base for you. So no dont follow strong lifts but use the moves it show you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    That would be fine. SL - while designed as 3x/week - is fine as a 2x/week program. Just keep the A/B/A/B... shedule. You'll advance a little slower, but that's fine. At 54yo, and just starting out, I'd be willing to bet that the little extra recovery time will do you some good over the long haul.

Agreed and good advice.
  • Silentpadna
    edited May 2017
    Thx everyone so far. To be clear, I can do it 3x one week, 2x the next week and back and forth. I would "miss" one every two weeks. If I can still progress, and if there is a way to augment the "missed" day with something at home, that's basically what I'm asking.

I have lifted in my past, but no real program or anything...about two years ago before a car accident, I was doing machine-based stuff.

I appreciate both sides of the coin being presented here. Not planning "half-*kitten*" anything - just dealing with slightly limited access. If it benefits me, perhaps 20% slower, I'm fine with that. Again, if you are a lifter, and this was your limitation, would you still do it?
  • HdezJ
    Yup
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Thx everyone so far. To be clear, I can do it 3x one week, 2x the next week and back and forth. I would "miss" one every two weeks. If I can still progress, and if there is a way to augment the "missed" day with something at home, that's basically what I'm asking.

I have lifted in my past, but no real program or anything...about two years ago before a car accident, I was doing machine-based stuff.

I appreciate both sides of the coin being presented here. Not planning "half-*kitten*" anything - just dealing with slightly limited access. If it benefits me, perhaps 20% slower, I'm fine with that. Again, if you are a lifter, and this was your limitation, would you still do it?

Yes, I would do it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. It sounds like the alternative is to go even fewer days, not more, right?

I'm a fan of doing programs as written to start but you have to accommodate real life.
  • Silentpadna
    Actually read a little deeper into the 5x5 guide on the website and found this type of potential modification for older (by the calendar anyway) guys like me...even a M-Th 2x per week rotation. Mine would be kind of in-between the regular program and that. Looks like a go.

Thanks for all the responses!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Honestly, it's not a huge problem. I do sl 2 days per week because that's best for my body & recovery and have progressed. You certainly could do another strength w.orkout at home, bodyweight, dumbbells, TRX, etc. On the missing day. A program is a guide, structure, and focus. It's not a secret formula and as long as you are doing "something" for your body, you will progress. You are so fortunate to have a workplace gym available!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Five times per two weeks = 2.5 times per week.

Just do half reps once per week. Problem solved.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017

Progress is a continuum, not an on/off switch. In between "100% Optimal" and "100% Ineffective", there are infinite degrees of "this will work".

I'd submit that by missing one workout every two weeks on a well-designed program, you'd still have far better results/progress than a lot of people who half-*kitten* it in the gym on some hokey self-designed program six days a week. You may even find the one extra day of rest/recovery helpful.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    I believe SL would be fine for your availability. It is a great beginner program, as stated before, just don't mess with it. If you do it as written you will develop good habits that will benefit you later on. Good Luck!

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    The less often that you do any program as designed, the less effective it will be. Missing 1 squat (and other lifts) once a week shouldn't make that much of a difference but really no way to predict the effect.

Bottom line, if that's all you can do, then do what you can. It's certainly better than doing nothing at all.