Running in the Rain

KiwiAlexP
KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
I'm signed up for a 10km run on Saturday and looking at the weather forecast its going to be raining.

Can anyone give me some advice i.e. should I aim to wear a jacket (which I'm not used to wearing) and run the risk of overheating or should I just get wet and put on warm clothes and a jacket at the finish line.

I'm hoping the forecast is wrong and that the worst we get is a bit of drizzle but feel I should plan for wet

Thanks

Replies

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    edited May 2017
    I find when I run in the rain with a jacket, I sweat so much that after a couple of miles the jacket is holding in as much water as it keeps out. Some people use a trash bag with arm and neck holes cut. I haven't tried that.

Remember you're more likely to chafe when you're wet. Either wear super good fitting (snug) running clothes or use body glide.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Don't wear a jacket, but do wear a hat or visor to keep the rain out of your eyes. Rainy runs are my favorite.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Thank you - I'll pack the jacket and warm clothes for the finish line and in the meantime hope for a bit of fine weather
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Wear the same clothes you'd usually wear for that temperature and then a hat or visor to keep the rain off your face. Change of clothes for after the race. Theres nothing wrong with getting a bit wet!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Don't wear a jacket, but do wear a hat or visor to keep the rain out of your eyes. Rainy runs are my favorite.
    Misssynth wrote: »
    Wear the same clothes you'd usually wear for that temperature and then a hat or visor to keep the rain off your face. Change of clothes for after the race. Theres nothing wrong with getting a bit wet!

yep, rainy runs are fun. I've got a 5k on Sunday which also has rain in the forecast. So get that hat on and enjoy the race.

(My March 5k was run in 0 deg F. I would have taken rain over those conditions any day of the week.)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    For the love of all that is holy: No cotton. Cotton chafes like crazy once it's wet. Synthetics during the run and dry clothes to layer on or change into after. And definitely a hat with visor.

Enjoy!! I love rainy runs. :)
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    It may be because I'm in Florida, but I always enjoyed running in the rain because it was cooler and I was going to be soaked through at the end of my run anyway, didn't make a difference if it were sweat or rain. :)

I did the garbage bag thing (though I only cut a head hole) at races that were cold and/or rainy at the start as a way to keep warm while standing around. The garbage bag is disposable so it's easy to ditch once you get warmed up. You probably won't need it after a mile or so.

I agree with the above advice to wear a hat or visor and to avoid cotton. One more tip: to dry out your shoes faster after the run, stuff them with balls of newspaper. The paper will draw water out from the inside. Replace the paper about every 20 minutes or so at first, until it mostly comes out dry. This also works for gloves, BTW.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    The less clothing you can wear for the given temp, the better off you will be. Sometimes people will take trash bags with holes cut in them to keep dry prior to the race. You may also want to take a change of shoes and socks for after the race.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I have a running jacket that is very breathable and is similar to a wind breaker but it is still easy to overheat in it. Some jackets can fold into a pocket and have a hand strap to carry it if needed. I always go to runnersword.com/whattowear. You enter you weight, temp, time of day, difficulty, wind and how you want to feel. It is always great because I hate that awful feeling at mile one when you feel too hot.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I agree with the trash bag idea - if nothing else for while you are standing around waiting for the race to begin; then dry clothes and socks in a bag for the finish line
  • LostSun8
    LostSun8 Posts: 15 Member
    I don't wear a jacket in the rain unless it's a cold rain. I love running in warm rain :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I just wear a hat. No jacket.