Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat/Fit shows

13»

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I don't mind those shows, if the person is trying to lose weight.

However, I don't like the show with the girl who was glamourizing her obesity. I think it's called my big fat fabulous life or something like that. I never watched it and saw commercials. She said she was average weight til college and gained a lot. I just don't think that's healthy and at times wondered if she gained weight in order to DO the show and get famous off of her weight gain. But who knows. Either way I don't like that show and I don't like any show that tries to make being overweight or obese look good. It's not good for any body no matter if they got that way by eating too much or were born that way. It's just not healthy for that individual.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited May 2017
    i always wonder why none of these people ever back down from the surgery after they lose those 50lbs before the surgery. Obviously they can do it, with the surgery done they will still have to follow a miserable diet for the rest of their lives,possible surgery complications, and regaining the weight is always a big possibility.So, when they see that they can lose weight if they stick with it, and they can move a bit easier,why not postpone the surgery and try on their own? Unless there are people,but they don't air the episodes.

I've wondered that same thing!!! If they had the will power to lose that 50 lbs or so in order to do the weight loss surgery then why can't they continue to lose weight on their own. I think a lot of it is in the individual's mind that they think they can't do it when in fact they can do it and they prove it by losing that 50 lbs or so.
  • bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    perkymommy wrote: »

However, I don't like the show with the girl who was glamourizing her obesity. I think it's called my big fat fabulous life or something like that. I never watched it and saw commercials. She said she was average weight til college and gained a lot. I just don't think that's healthy and at times wondered if she gained weight in order to DO the show and get famous off of her weight gain. But who knows. Either way I don't like that show and I don't like any show that tries to make being overweight or obese look good. It's not good for any body no matter if they got that way by eating too much or were born that way. It's just not healthy for that individual.

She originally got famous from videos she posted on YouTube of her dancing. She was the same size before she got her show. I liked her at first. She seemed motivated, worked hard, showed how great she could dance etc. but the next few seasons she whines all the time, everything is everyone else's fault, and she is almost a completely different person.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    bapity88 wrote: »
    perkymommy wrote: »

She originally got famous from videos she posted on YouTube of her dancing. She was the same size before she got her show. I liked her at first. She seemed motivated, worked hard, showed how great she could dance etc. but the next few seasons she whines all the time, everything is everyone else's fault, and she is almost a completely different person.

Even in the original video it is not a single continuous dance. It cuts every few seconds to her in a different place at a different time. She simply doesn't have the stamina to sustain that kind of effort without extreme difficulty, as is very evident in the recent video with Caleb Marshall. She's red faced and exhausted less than three minutes in, although his regular backup dances and he have plenty of pep left.

As far as her dancing being great, it's not. She has very limited moves that she can even try to do, and her general routines look like watered down Zumba. The times she has tried to do actual forms of dance she has done very poorly, and most if not all of her public performances have clearly been arranged by TLC. The museum of dance, the parade, the belly dancing at the restaurant and the ballroom competition were all examples of her not dancing well, and also were very obvious setups by TLC.
  • bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    I've seen a very steady decline in her motivation, stamina, and confidence the last few years for sure. In the beginning, she seemed like, "I am who I am. I'm trying to better myself, but I'm going to love myself in the meantime, and nothing will hold me back from trying new things or doing what I enjoy". Now it's more like, "I can't do anything because I'm fat. No one loves me because I'm fat. I can't do ______ because I'm fat, etc." She's even said she's happy at her weight and doesn't want to lose it and she loves being fat. That's not a good message for people who are watching her for inspiration. That really irritated me.
  • joannsd
    joannsd Posts: 1 Member
    I am much more inspired by shows like American Ninja Warriors & Spartan Ultimate Team Challenge. These (seem) to be regular people with regular jobs that have a passion for be in the best possible shape. I love to see the physical challenges and it makes we work out more and harder when I hit the gym.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited May 2017
    rpk62 wrote: »
    What's your opinion on shows like Biggest Loser, My 600lbs Life, Super Sized vs Super Skinny?

Does it help motivate you? Is it discouraging? Neither? Super curious what other people think of these shows :)

I find them motivating, the subject is weight health after all. I also find they give little useful knowledge, they focus on being sensational rather than informative.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Here's my stock answer:

In my opinion, it's a modern-day freakshow. I don't mean that to be unkind to the people involved in it, but that's the purpose of the people who make and produce these kinds of reality TV.

In today's freakshows you're not supposed to gape like yokels at the people on exhibit. That's so early 20th century. Instead you're supposed to be moved to pity, or outrage, or whatever emotion the producers wish to foster.

In my opinion, of course.

Thank you for this insight. It explains perfectly why I loathe most "reality TV".
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    I liked the biggest loser when it first came out because at least the appearance was that they worked hard at changing their life .
    My 600 pound life - I am sorry but eww cant do it
    My Fabulous Life ? Are you kidding me ? I couldn't watch an episode. It seems like she was trying to imply that her weight wasn't an issue but she seemed pretty miserable about everything to me and it was so phony

• Twinmamamarion
    Twinmamamarion Posts: 33 Member
    My first dive into real, sustained weight loss can be almost directly attributed to the first season of the Biggest Loser. The contestants were more..."normally" overweight (I believe one of the female contestants started at 175 or so) and I got moving. At age 29 I was the fittest I'd been in my life, and stayed really close until I got pregnant (with twins! leading to bed rest and premature delivery and PPD and and and) on my 33rd birthday.

Reading about the aftermath for the contestants though...heartbreaking. The stuff I've learned about fat memory, etc...wow. The bit about fat memory is also really disheartening, especially since I just turned 40 and am trying to get back at it now.
  • heiliskrimsli
    My first dive into real, sustained weight loss can be almost directly attributed to the first season of the Biggest Loser. The contestants were more..."normally" overweight (I believe one of the female contestants started at 175 or so) and I got moving. At age 29 I was the fittest I'd been in my life, and stayed really close until I got pregnant (with twins! leading to bed rest and premature delivery and PPD and and and) on my 33rd birthday.

Reading about the aftermath for the contestants though...heartbreaking. The stuff I've learned about fat memory, etc...wow. The bit about fat memory is also really disheartening, especially since I just turned 40 and am trying to get back at it now.

"Fat memory"?
  • heiliskrimsli

"Fat memory"?

I googled it quickly and I guess if you've been overweight your body has a higher number of fat cells so it's easier to once again store fat in them if you overeat...?

I have no idea.

The number of fat cells you have is pretty well solidified by the end of your teenage years. How full of actual fat they are can and does change.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I think there's gotta be a special place in hell for people who make money by exploiting the misery of other human beings.

The fourth circle.

dante_s_inferno_by_somnium_maris-d68js14.jpg