How Much Tuna Is Safe To Eat?

littlemshepy
littlemshepy Posts: 28 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I know that you shouldnt eat too much because of mercury levels

But does that go for canned Salmon and Mackerel too?

Replies

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    According to the EPA and FDA, salmon and Atlantic and Pacific mackerel are among the best choices, and 2 to 3 servings of those per week is fine for adults.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Unless you are a child, pregnant or nursing woman, it's not worth worrying about. Yet another advisory for one subset of people that got extrapolated to everyone by "experts".
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited May 2017
    Unless you are a child, pregnant or nursing woman, it's not worth worrying about. Yet another advisory for one subset of people that got extrapolated to everyone by "experts".

I got mercury poisoning when, I was; 25 years old, never pregnant, so of course I wasn't nursing either! I ate a small can of, tuna every day for; a little over 2 weeks!
  • Gallowmere1984

I got mercury poisoning when, I was; 25 years old, never pregnant, so of course I wasn't nursing either! I ate a small can of, tuna every day for; a little over 2 weeks!

Jesus, did you actually go out of your way to buy tuna fished from the shores of places with direct coal runoff? When I cut, I tend to eat 6-8 cans per day for about a week straight. Last November, I did the same for almost a month, and absolutely no ill effects.
  • DeficitDuchess

Jesus, did you actually go out of your way to buy tuna fished from the shores of places with direct coal runoff? When I cut, I tend to eat 6-8 cans per day for about a week straight. Last November, I did the same for almost a month, and absolutely no ill effects.

All I know's that, it was; StarKist tuna!
  • Gallowmere1984

Interesting. Which type was it, or do you recall? The thing is, methyl mercury is bound by selenium, which tuna contains an absurd amount of. I suppose it's possible that you have a weird thing going in your body that allows the mercury to be broken from the selenium bond, which would make it bioavailable.
  • DeficitDuchess

Interesting. Which type was it, or do you recall? The thing is, methyl mercury is bound by selenium, which tuna contains an absurd amount of. I suppose it's possible that you have a weird thing going in your body that allows the mercury to be broken from the selenium bond, which would make it bioavailable.

It was, chunk light!
  • chw1968
    chw1968 Posts: 1 Member
    Metal toxicity is based on one's own body to chelate naturally. Most people can, however, over time and exposure to various environmental factors, genetic make-up, one's body may not be able to purge metals properly. My personal journey, I am a product of metal emalgams (fillings) and have had many issues with thyroid, now traced back to the mercury in those fillings.
  • DeficitDuchess
    For me the reaction was just, a rash on the back of; both of my calves & that's it, there were; no other symptoms! While I knew about, mercury poisoning via tuna I wasn't aware of; what was considered safe & only knew of, a rash being; a symptom because of learning that, a celebrity had it prior so; I ceased consuming it & after, a week & ½, the rashes were; then gone!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I have a bad habit of starting a cut and just eating tuna 5 days per week for as long as I can take it. I know I should give it a rest but god it's like...a miracle when you have poverty macros. Dangit.
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    I read somewhere that once a month is "safest" but I eat it about once a week.