LGBT

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited May 2017
    In fairness, things devolved in defense of the LGBTQ community (except the wikipedia part... I am truly sorry). I think anyone who falls into that acronym can feel at least moderately supported on this web site.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    edited May 2017
    I only get defensive because I count myself among the educational community.

If you were in the educational community you would know. Try a Google search for something like "Wikipedia paid promotional editing". Or watch a TedTalk. Or any number of work done on critical thinking in literacy.

https://youtu.be/-bYAQ-ZZtEU

Go to around 3:56 or watch the whole thing for today's internet business landscape.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    with true equal rights, is support still required? really, I don't know; I'm asking.

I don't see it is anything to do with rights. It is finding like-minded people that workout, and you can also have discussions about issues that are close to you. Seems simple enough. It wasn't exclusionary in any way.

My question was... does that community still need active support?

They do because having, equal rights doesn't equate with; equal treatment or even application/enforcement of, those rights.

I don't know whether this matters...I mean there are, for example, "mom" boards on here...I doubt it's because we don't get equal treatment, LOL (even though it feels like it sometimes)...it's just because we have something basic in common.
  • LAWoman72
    edited May 2017
    sayoqod wrote: »
    when do heteros get a flag? I want a flag! tantrum.gif

Lucky for you, there is a heterosexual flag!

tumblr_o7vdx6xQ5W1vstmb5o1_500.png

This is so mean. LOL.

Trust me, even though I prefer an outie to an innie 100% of the time, it is NOT black and white...okay, occasionally it is. Just to mix things up. (winkie-winkie)

I get that we're not a minority but we straights get such a negative rap for being vanilla. Not in MY bedroom, dude, LOL.

...Carry on.
  • LAWoman72
    <3 to everyone, even haters. Hope they fix whatever makes them hate other human beings.

This would be good. I truly believe we're all getting there...now it's the "not in my back yard"s that are the dinosaurs.
  • __Lora__
    __Lora__ Posts: 1,184 Member
    <3 to everyone, even haters. Hope they fix whatever makes them hate other human beings.

This ❤️
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    as the Beatles sang decades ago .. All You Need Is Love.. Love.. Love is all you need....
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited May 2017
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    I only get defensive because I count myself among the educational community.

If you were in the educational community you would know. Try a Google search for something like "Wikipedia paid promotional editing". Or watch a TedTalk. Or any number of work done on critical thinking in literacy.

https://youtu.be/-bYAQ-ZZtEU

Go to around 3:56 or watch the whole thing for today's internet business landscape.

I will not concede the point that the U.S. is devoid of violence toward the LGBTQ community.
  • BamaChick74
    BamaChick74 Posts: 7 Member
    Finding this thread was very refreshing for me. I a Safe Zone instructor on the campus where I work and glad that I get to be an ally and support in a different way.
  • Dar_Line86
    Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
    *raises hand* right here!
  • LAWoman72
    edited May 2017
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    as the Beatles sang decades ago .. All You Need Is Love.. Love.. Love is all you need....

They also sang :
    Happiness is s Warm Gun

Plus that terrifying song about how she'd better run as fast as she can and how he'd rather see her dead than with another guy.

But the Love Love Love song was cute, anyway.

As for this thread, I think it's more like: empathy is all you need. I have had this thought more than once: I'm straight. What if the way the world worked (biology aside) was that gay was the typical way to be and being straight was the minority? What if I were told if I didn't want to be such a nuisance I'd give up all this siliness and stop liking guys? What if people sadly told me they'd pray for me in my straightness so God wouldn't damn me? What if I "came out" as straight and my kids sobbed and told me I'd ruined their lives and they'd talk to me on Mother's Day if I liked girls by then? What if I had to hide the man I loved and fight for the right to marry him and still have hatred stalk us?

I don't believe our preferences sexually are choices. I've seen too many people helplessly endure torture they'd gladly leave behind if they could, to believe that. We like men, women or both and having won some invisible genetic lottery to be one of the straight ones doesn't make a person superior. It's nothing we "do." So for God's sake have a little empathy. We figure it would be unthinkable that a person should get no end of grief for having blue eyes or being tall or Polish or having a low pitched voice or any other inherent trait but this particular trait is a punishable offense, why? And what if you had been one of those selected by nature to he the societally "correct" one? (Not speaking to the person I quoted, I'm saying that this is how we in general should act, if I had my druthers.)

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I'm bisexual but i don't tell many people but like men better but I have interest in girls too
    I think you just told the whole world.

And opened a pm floodgate.
  • EmmaCottrellluv
    EmmaCottrellluv Posts: 689 Member
    I
    I'm bisexual but i don't tell many people but like men better but I have interest in girls too

I don't care I'm not imbarresed about it
  • EmmaCottrellluv
    EmmaCottrellluv Posts: 689 Member

And opened a pm floodgate.

I'm ok that I told I'm not ashamed
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVR62Ndds2GcARny5cdKxxC5JdqSBkcOyQPfZMGmS4UFPsseE8

OK Folks,

Lets review some of the MFP guidelines you seem to have forgotten:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Please keep the thread on track and civil from here out.

Thanks,

4legs