Anyone here reach their fitness goals through body exercises?

After 4 years of lifting it's time for a change. But I don't want to change so much that I need to change my goals which is to lose fat to uncover the muscle I've gained the past years.

I'm asking this after months of hating the gym and feeling no satisfaction from lifting. I feel like my next step is giving up.. which I don't want to do.

Note: I know diet is most important here! But the type of workouts I do are important too.

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Losing fat is about weight loss which is about eating less then you burn.
    I don't know what you mean by body exercise as I can not figure out what else you would exercise. Perhaps exercise restraint, or exercise your willpower, exercise your moderation, or perhaps you even mean exercise your mind. However for fitness goals exercising your body and moderating your calories is the way to go.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Losing fat is about weight loss which is about eating less then you burn.
    I don't know what you mean by body exercise as I can not figure out what else you would exercise. Perhaps exercise restraint, or exercise your willpower, exercise your moderation, or perhaps you even mean exercise your mind. However for fitness goals exercising your body and moderating your calories is the way to go.

Yes, I 100% understand that my diet is most important. More than my exercise will ever be. But I'm asking an exercise related question which is why i posted here.

I mean body weight exercises. Meaning exercises with your body without the weights. I don't want to exercise will power or my mind. After 4 years of lifting.. I know when I am not motivated, lazy, or when something is wrong. In this case, I know I'm losing interest in the sport but don't want to give up completely. I have specific goals that I feel are only attainable through weightlifting and am trying to see if maybe I am wrong.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    You could move to bodyweight workouts for a break. If you found a programme that was challenging enough to compensate for no longer lifting.

I did the Nerdfitness beginners routine when I first started and got decent results, but that was me beginning.
    they do have more advanced bodyweight routines as well.

I think it depends where you are in your lifting, and what you are looking for in body composition.

Of course fat loss comes from a calorie deficit, so making sure you have that in line is the most important thing. A higher protein level will help with muscle retention- .8-1 g per pound of ideal bodyweight.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Cheers, h.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I've started boxing classes recently and love it. It's fast paced, fun, and really works my whole body. I still enjoy weight training but only 2-3 days a week now. I need to change my workouts to stay motivated and I have found boxing great for that since every class is different
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Yes! I was totally thinking about this today! I think it's totally doable as long as you're working in a hard and diverse way so your body keeps up with your level of fitness from when you were lifting. And as someone who can't afford a gym membership, I'm hoping so hard I can reach my goals using my own bodyweight.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    For the upper body, there's nothing better in the way of body weight exercises than pushups, pullups and dips. For the lower body, it would be squats and lunges. You can also add resistance to all of these exercises by just wearing a weighted vest.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    I second the kickboxing classes-or any classes. Completely switch it up. Maybe find a crossfit gym or take some cardio classes at the gym.

Or start a running program-that would be completely different and challenging in a whole new way. You could supplement it with a small amount of strength training once you get going, but maybe you won't mind so much if it's not your primary goal.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You can absolutely do it with just bodyweight exercises. Look up you are your own gym, Al & Danny Kavadlo, convict conditioning, gmb. All great resources
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    I do all my workouts at home now, and I absolutely love it
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Convict Conditioning or Kavadlo programing from Dragon Door

Naked warrior by Pavel from Strongfirst.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Charlie Hunnam got his hot bod from only bodyweight exercises. Here is his workout routine:

“I go into the gym and do 75 pull-ups, 75 dips, 150 squats, 150 pushups, and then 20 minutes of ab work,” Charlie says. “Done. It takes an hour; I’m in and out. I sweat the whole time.”
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Charlie Hunnam got his hot bod from only bodyweight exercises. Here is his workout routine:

“I go into the gym and do 75 pull-ups, 75 dips, 150 squats, 150 pushups, and then 20 minutes of ab work,” Charlie says. “Done. It takes an hour; I’m in and out. I sweat the whole time.”

First you have to get to the point where you can do 1 pullup.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Sharon_C wrote: »

First you have to get to the point where you can do 1 pullup.

Yeah. I would definitely have to work my way up to that.
  • mindywilsford
    mindywilsford Posts: 6 Member
    Darebee.com. Hundreds of bodyweight workouts - lots of variety to keep away boredom and definitely challenging.