Weight gain from coffe mate

Did anyone else notice a weird weight gain with any coffee mate sugar free version?
I started drinking it months ago but for some reason instead of losing weight I am suddenly packing on the pounds.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Are you pregnant? Or eating more than normal? Or exercising/moving less than normal?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    The liquid variety is 15 calories per 15 milliliter, which is about 1/2 ounce or 1 tablespoon. Powdered is 30 calories for 5 grams, which is not much either. I can see somebody screwing up their calories easily with it if it's not measured carefully.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Definitely pregnant.

Sounds like a parasite to me.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    I allow 150 calories just for my creamer for the day ... maybe more. Still losing
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    sure if youre consuming CONTAINERS of it a day .....

my creamer comes in at 120 calories a day. and use a pretty fair amount of creamer. LOLOLOL
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    I gained 10 pounds in a year by changing from skim milk to that sugar free creamer. I did not calorie count at the time but was upset because all my other eating habits were the same and I kept gaining. Now, I'm afraid to ever use it again even with calorie counting. Try vanilla soy or almond milk for a less caloric option. I use Truvia for a little more sweet taste.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Did anyone else notice a weird weight gain with any coffee mate sugar free version?
    I started drinking it months ago but for some reason instead of losing weight I am suddenly packing on the pounds.

You say you started drinking it months ago, but that you are "suddenly" packing on the pounds. Why would you think something you've been using for months made that happen?

It has 15 cals per tablespoon. If you use ALOT of creamer every day, the calories could cause your weight to slowly inch up. But depending what you mean by packing on lbs, I doubt it's your creamer :neutral:
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    If it's sugar free you should look at the ingredients that replace the sugar. Sometimes artificial sweeteners or added chemicals don't agree with people's bodies, almost like an intolerance(it's a buzz word I know but it's true) that could have different effects on different people. It could also be fattier or carbier than the version with sugar. Do your research or go back to the sugar version if you truly believe it's causing weight gain
  • kdouglas0908
    kdouglas0908 Posts: 6 Member
    Okay thank you for the actual HELPFUL replies. It was a genuine question. I've been noticing an increase in appetite in the last six months and while trying to figure out what it was (diet change) I figured it was the coffee mate. So I wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue or has had an issue with artificial sweeteners where their bodies do the exact opposite. I am not pregnant. I had my iud removed two months ago because I thought that was the problem for my weight gain also.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I'm still trying to figure out what it has to do with Fitness and Exercise.
  • kdouglas0908
    kdouglas0908 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm new here. I meant to post this in the food/nutrition forum.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Okay thank you for the actual HELPFUL replies. It was a genuine question. I've been noticing an increase in appetite in the last six months and while trying to figure out what it was (diet change) I figured it was the coffee mate. So I wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue or has had an issue with artificial sweeteners where their bodies do the exact opposite. I am not pregnant. I had my iud removed two months ago because I thought that was the problem for my weight gain also.

Not that I think that your weight gain has anything to do with coffee mate but ... stop using that stuff. Ick!!!
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Personally, no. I was drinking my coffee black; then I started working the coffee mate sugar-free powder into my calories. Suddenly, a cup of coffee is more satiating (at only 30 cal) so I find I am even less hungry after a cup. It has been helping my maintenance efforts just fine.

I don't believe that an ingredient (at least, ingredients found in foods, and certainly not in coffee creamer) would be able to make the body gain weight because of intolerance. Intolerances cause allergic reactions (I get them to certain foods). But if you're not in a surplus, you won't gain. You might be bloated or have skin rashes or another reaction, but you would still be the same weight.

If you want, cut out the coffee mate and see what happens. But I would be willing to bet that your portion sizes may have gotten slightly larger or other changes have happened gradually that would be a better explanation for "packing on the pounds." Sometimes (and I say this with a lot of kindness and compassion because I did it for years) we want to blame a certain ingredient for weight gain when it's really just simple overeating.
  • mbowman336
    mbowman336 Posts: 1 Member
    I had the same concern and this is what I found out about it;

People who are trying to lose weight often replace sugar with artificial sweeteners. One of the most commonly used sweeteners today is called acesulfame potassium. Like most sweeteners, acesulfame potassium is controversial.
    While some studies say that artificial sweeteners are safe, others claim that they are harmful to your health and even cause weight gain. This is a detailed review of acesulfame potassium and its health effects.

Artificial sweeteners, including acesulfame potassium, are controversial. Many researchers claim they may be harmful. For example, some claim they can disrupt metabolic processes and interfere with appetite regulation, body weight, and blood sugar control.