I hate water and drinking liquids in general!

2»

Replies

• jen1516
    jen1516 Posts: 77 Member
    Well....I have been forcing myself to drink lots if water, plain or with Crystal Lite lemonade powder in it. As great as that is, I've been absolutely miserable. My body hasn't adjusted yet to all the extra it hasn't been used to. Spent hours in the bathroom today. If it was just peeing I would be totally fine with that. But this cramping and diarrhea is awful.
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Well....I have been forcing myself to drink lots if water, plain or with Crystal Lite lemonade powder in it. As great as that is, I've been absolutely miserable. My body hasn't adjusted yet to all the extra it hasn't been used to. Spent hours in the bathroom today. If it was just peeing I would be totally fine with that. But this cramping and diarrhea is awful.

I think you should go to the Dr. This does not sound normal. Go to WedMD and do some research.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    You might want to speak with your doctor. Do you think it could be a mind over matter thing? I know if I KNOW I don't like something and I keep trying it and I have those bad thoughts in my head I will gag and make myself sick. I won't be able to stomach it. You could try some behavior modification in regards to the water. Try adding flavor too it and drink that throughout the day. Add a lemon or lime to it?

Good luck hon hope you can figure this out so you can get more liquids in.

edit: are you drinking tap or bottled water? If I drink tap water it gives me a tummy ache.
  • jen1516
    jen1516 Posts: 77 Member
    I use tap water. I don't think it's a mind matter. I think my body just doesn't know what to do with all this liquid when it has only been used to 20 ounces or less my whole life. Going to give it a few more days to see what happens before paying for a doctor visit. Thanks for the advice gals.
  • collettesara1
    collettesara1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    jen1516 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice again everyone. I do currently drink through a straw and finding drinks I like isn't really the problem, it's just the drinking. Even the drinks I love I can't drink much of. I drank a measely 8 oz. of water last night over a period of 10 minutes and I just felt aweful afterwards. Heavier drinks like a yoohoo or a milkshake when I have them don't bother me though. I physically feel bad after drinking liquids. Can't explain the feeling exactly. Don't laugh, but I've never even been drunk because I can't drink even to get drunk (no I don't do shots).

Jen, did you ever figure out a way to sort this/did you go to the doctor? I have the same problem and it's causing me to be so dehydrated all the time. Thanks!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    High moisture fruits and vegetables like watermelon and cucumbers can supplement your hydration needs so you won't have to make yourself drink as often.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Oatmeal, salad, soup, pasta & rice!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Zombie thread, rises from the dead!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Increase slowly. Don't try to go from 0 to too much in one go.

One of my aunts had that problem and 'taught' herself to drink water. She started by filling a 0.5L (16 ounces?) water bottle every morning and drinking it in sips with the goal of emptying by the time she goes to bed. It's not much but for someone who couldn't drink even one mouthful without gagging it was quite an achievement when she consistently managed to empty that bottle. Over the course of a couple of months, she managed to up her intake to 2 of those bottles and together with the hydration she gets from food (as another poster mentioned, watermelon and cucumbers are great for that), she manages to maintain a decent hydration level.

It took time (several months in her case). You can't change a habit/reflex like that from one moment to the next.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    You could try getting more hydration through your foods - soup, smoothies, high-water-content fruit like watermelon for example, may help.

I do agree with previous posts though, this doesn't sound like a regular response to drinking water. Definitely see your doc if it persists.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    KateTii wrote: »
    Zombie thread, rises from the dead!

Yikes! 6 years dead!

I hadn't see that it was that old. I guess OP has solved her problem since then :flushed:
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    edited May 2017
    I have been making myself drink 16 oz of water before each meal (I fill a mason jar halfway). I don't sip it; I basically down it or it won't get done. It also takes the edge off at each meal, so I'm not eating as much. It is still only 48 oz of water for the day, but I also drink tea and iced coffee. It all adds up.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    edited May 2017