Yard work

Options
I cut my front yard with a push mower & I believe I lost at least 2 gallons of water. Why isn't yard work an exercise that I can log into my daily food & exercise log so I can add calories burned for the day. You don't have to go to a gym to burn calories? Can some help me since maybe I putting it in wrong

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Mowing the lawn is an activity on MFP- I have logged yard work if it beyond my normal daily effort (2+ hours). But keep in mind that MFP tends to be VERY generous with exercise calorie calculations.
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can add it as an exercise here! Also keep in mind that the calorie counts are really exaggerated for stuff like that, especially if you've got a self-propelled mower! :) It usually tells me that "gardening" burns twice as much as I think I actually do. Do your research if you're wary!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    "General gardening" is in the database. "Mowing lawn" is in the database. Log away.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Also sweat is not an indication of calories burned
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    MFP method is intended to log purposeful exercise calories only, above and beyond your normal activities. Did you cut lawn and clean house before you started to lose weight? If so, I would consider it part of my base activity and any calories burned are "bonus burn" to make up for any overages or mis-estimation other places.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You can enter "gardening" but the calorie burn they alledge is for cyborgs. Not sure what kind of gardening they are referring to!

It looks like a lot of sites run 300-350 per hour for lawn mowing.

Check out Spark People because you can put in your weight as well as activity and time.