ran 10 K in one hour 2 mins 391 calories?!?!!??

MFP gives me 791 calories---MAP MY RUN gives me 391!!!
WHAT the heck? FELT like a 791 workout! and then MFP cancels out my GARMIN app run info!!

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited May 2017
    It doesn't really matter how fast or slow you ran (or how hard the workout was). It only matters how far you went and how much you weigh.

(Body weight in pounds) x (0.63) x (Distance in miles) is the formula I see most often. I'm sure there's a metric equivalent somewhere (or just figure it out - your weight x .63 x 6.2 miles). FWIW, Garmin tells me I burn about 650 calories for running 10k. I weigh about 165 pounds which just about matches this formula.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter how fast or slow you ran (or how hard the workout was). It only matters how far you went and how much you weigh.

(Body weight in pounds) x (0.63) x (Distance in miles) is the formula I see most often. I'm sure there's a metric equivalent somewhere (or just figure it out - your weight x .63 x 6.2 miles). FWIW, Garmin tells me I burn about 650 calories for running 10k. I weigh about 165 pounds which just about matches this formula.

Time matters because Map My Run includes both the activity calories and your RMR during that time. So I would expect Map My Run to be larger than MFP, not smaller.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    My garmin told me I burned 248 calories on my 15 mile bike ride tonight. I've done this same ride a bazillion times and it's good for about 550 (no matter what device-including the same Garmin that was nutso tonight). Who knows. Sometimes technology is dumb. The formula above is pretty good for running miles (weight in pounds x .65 x miles run).
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    To your point about MFP canceling out your connected app calorie adjustments, it does the same for me when I use Google Fit but add exercises through MFP. BUT it comes back when the app resyncs, you just have to wait a bit. I always thought that was silly but that's how she goes!
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member

• tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    So at 217 pounds it would be 835. I'm going to use this formula! Thank you!!!
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    MapMyRun gives me 533 for 5miles/8k run in 54 minutes but this formula gives me only 365 (I weigh 116lbs). This is frankly depressing and doesn't seem to correlate to the amount of effort I am putting in. Especially when you think that 10,000 steps roughly correspond to 500 calories. However even though I don't eat all my exercise calories back, I run in part so that I have extra calories in the 'bank' so I can then eat a bit more than the 1200 calories I have allotted myself. My partner has been running for over 40 years and he says MapMyRun is about right so I'm going to stick with that.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    As a very rough guide, you burn around 100 calories per mile run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

If you're c160lbs
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

So rough as to be useless for everybody who isn't about 150 pounds.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    10,000 steps is only 500 calories if you weigh 150 or so and some of that would probably be counted in your BMR.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    MFP is a fun little app, but I don't take no figures it gives me seriously. Any app that takes my 8:04 pace on a 7 mile run and rounds it up to a 9 minute pace. Yeah, I do have a problem with that. Especially when MFP is connected to my Garmin and cancels out almost all information. My power meter, HRM, and GPS gives me what I need. This is just a good app for people starting out or wants a community to socialize in.
    On the other hand I've had my Garmin give me weird results at times. Very rarely but it does have its moments.
  • dewd2
    That would be Garmin's fault. Other apps do not get rounded like that. My understanding is that MFP and Garmin select the closet available time for your run (rounding up). It is only the display. It means nothing for the calorie calculation.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Speaking if rounding... Strava always rounds total mileage down to the nearest tenth when it comes from Garmin. Some runners will add a but of distance to each run to get to am even tenth, but I don't.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    I can understand apps being a little off, but not like that. How can it be Garmin fault if it loads correct data to other apps? Plus, MFP doesn't split up multiple activities either. I can do a 2 hour bike ride then run for an hour and it gives me credit for 3 hours of cycling?? This app is great for socializing and networking, but I'm very apprehensive on the accuracy of any figures this app gives. One of my friends on here continues to burn 1,800 calories a day from only an hour of activity. She does this 5 or 6 days a week. That's not very safe if it's accurate. I'll burn 5,000 plus calories in one of my 70.3 events but that's pushing 5 hours. I'll burn 2,000 calories on my long training days but that's multiple hours. Does this app allow you to enter your own calorie burn too??
  • dewd2
    It is at fault because that is the way they decided to report the data to MFP. Run 8:08 - round up to the closest available value 9:00. Other apps pass show the actual pace. Again, it is just how it shows up on your home page. The calorie calculation is not based on what you see. Also, it is Garmin supplying the calories to MFP. Check it out on Garmin Connect and you will see the same calorie info.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    JessM822 wrote: »
    Plus, MFP doesn't split up multiple activities either.

It summarises on your home page but when you go into the detail page you'll see the breakdown of activities.
    ...but I'm very apprehensive on the accuracy of any figures this app gives.

For some things it's accurate, for others then less so. Some activities are simple to forecast, others aren't. The problem is the more difficult tend to be the most popular; circuit training classes and videos.

As with any tool as long as one recognises the strengths and weaknesses it'll be useful. I think the snag is many tend to treat the figures as gospel.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    It is a free app and, really, I only use it as a high level guidepost to see how my calorie expenditures fluctuate from day to day. I find that by logging my food, I make better choices. I would expect that any app or program that has a high level of accuracy would have a fee associated with it.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited May 2017
    My Tomtom runner gave me 368 calories for a 10.3km run in 1h8' at 6.33 min/km. MFP gave me 368 calories for running at 8.4 kph (7.2 min per km) and 59 minutes. If i had chosen to input the correct info on Mfp, i would have gotten a much higher calorie count, but it would not reflect the truth.
    Unfortunately the amount of calories one burns has nothing to do with the effort put in the activity. If you're trying to lose weight, i would go with the lower calorie count and not worry about it.
    I'm in maintenance and i'm eating back all the exercise calories my watch gives me.So far it seems accurate, my weight remains pretty stable.I input the information manually on mfp. I only care about the calorie numbers ,so i have to say i run for less time at a slower pace than i did, in order to get the accurate calorie number from mfp.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Definitely something weird with those numbers. I usually get a burn around 350/400 for that and I am almost half your weight. I would think you burned at LEAST 500 calories.