Question about preparing canned tuna

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2017
    3byba06bh8c1.png
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I love adding pickled jalapeños to my tuna, but I also like using lemon pepper marinade instead of mayo. I've done that since I was a kid!

Lemon pepper marinade!!! Mind blown - why have I never thought of this?

It's good!

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    3byba06bh8c1.png
    I love adding pickled jalapeños to my tuna, but I also like using lemon pepper marinade instead of mayo. I've done that since I was a kid!

It's good!

I've used these before but never thought about using them in tuna. Great idea!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I'm just lazy and when I am in the mood to eat the tuna, I just eat it straight out of the can.

I always buy canned tuna packed only in water, drain the water out, add just a tbsp of olive oil (which is a lot less oil than is used if it comes canned in oil), add some salt/pepper to taste and I'm done.

It's not "interesting" but it provides a huge amount of protein w/very few extra cals with very little effort.

I buy the flavored packets and often eat it straight from the pouch.

My mom used to mix chopped black olives into our tuna salad for sandwiches. If sodium is not an issue, it's really good.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    3byba06bh8c1.png

It's good!

Adding to shopping list..................
  • cmtigger
    3byba06bh8c1.png

It's good!

A lot of the marinades are too high sodium, but I have some mrs dash teriyaki I need to try now.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,715 Member
    I just had white albacore water-packed tuna with Kalamata olives, capers, tomatoes, white wine vinegar, black pepper, crushed garlic, and a drizzle of olive oil. Very tasty. Sometimes I'll cook white beans with all the ingredients listed except the tuna (I add the tuna later).
  • ChrisNels1
    ChrisNels1 Posts: 16,638 Member
    tuna packets (in water)
    a little mayo
    salt & pepper
    Eat using cucumber slices like they were crackers
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Mayo, tuna loves to be eaten with a bit of fat. Add chopped dill pickles.

If I'm looking for a less fat substitute for mayo, I'll use greek yoghurt instead.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    And a little mayo, mustard, onion and pickle to make tuna salad. I use tuna packed in water. Love it this way on wheat toast.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Lemon pepper, tuna, olive oil, cucumbers and bell peppers (chopped up) add onion if you like onion. Very yummy! I love the salmon flavored packets much more than the tuna ones but still buy tuna flavored packets if they are on sale.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    I mash it with avocado. Sometimes a little mango chipotle dressing. Tastes kinda like sushi...
  • cmtigger
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I mash it with avocado. Sometimes a little mango chipotle dressing. Tastes kinda like sushi...

I bet this would work well with cans or packets of salmon too. The avocado would probably be good with sardines too.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    They sell tins of tuna mixed with different sorts of beans, rice or pasta, corn, capsicum, onion, spices, etc.

Quick and low calorie, high protein, good micronutrients, nom.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2017
    Try a tablespoon of Mrs. Renfro's green salsa. This stuff is magic, I toss it in everything. If you've never tried it, it's basically roasted and puréed jalapeños.

I put everything in tuna, depending on my mood. Lately it's been paprika, cumin, sesame oil, and a little Dijon mustard.
  • anner143
    anner143 Posts: 5 Member
    i mix my tuna with the mayo that has olive oil in it..and then add dill spice. or dillweed. gives it the nice pickle-y flavor without the sodium. sometimes add finely diced onion.
  • Moose4143
    Moose4143 Posts: 6 Member
    Oh wow.... you guys are awesome! Some of these are mouth watering hehe. My wife was excited when I told her about these suggestions. Time to go shopping hehe.

Thank you all :smiley:
  • Moose4143
    Moose4143 Posts: 6 Member
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    - Tuna mixed in with my pasta. I use high fiber pasta then add in normal tuna salad ingredients - light mayo, egg, pickle, etc

- Core out large tomato and fill with seasoned tuna. Especially good when tomatoes are in season.

560byr0if9lp.png

ke46cubmf67o.png

This... this is what i'm going to make next. Is this meal already in MFP database? Whats the calorie range?
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    I'm sorry. I didn't add it. It depends on what pasta you use. I use fibergourmet pasta that I buy online due to having high cholesterol. It has 18 grams of fiber. I'm not a fan of whole wheat pasta then I read on forum where someone suggested these.

It's basically:

1 serving of pasta (130 calories for the fibergourmet)
    1 can or pack of tuna packed in water (90 calories)
    Diced pickles (0 calories - I like dill pickles instead of sweet)
    Diced tomatoes
    2 tbsp. of light mayo. (70 calories)
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    I'm basic and I just mix it with mayo. Sometimes honey mustard. I eat it plain, on a sandwich, or as a dip for Ritz crackers.