Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

Replies

• NoMoreAfatChick
    NoMoreAfatChick Posts: 226 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Have had an interesting two weeks. Went out of town for a week. Got back, had a colonoscopy (all good). Worked hard at work getting stuff done. Had a wedding this last Fri for my second oldest (married a great girl!), had a root canal go bad in the middle of this and just had it yanked out today to start an implant process! I'm not supposed to run hard tell I get my stitches out which bums me out a bit and I'm going to miss this Thurs 5k run looks like. My mouth is killing me right now since I've come down off the anethesia.

Have done ok with the weight and didn't gain any through the wedding festivities and having family over and lots of food so that was good. Also I've had to eat multiple meals due to needing to take antibiotics and pain meds for my bad root canal.

Ran some good runs (4-miles this morning and ran up a mountain trail on saturday so that was good). Have missed some weights though due to the schedule and will miss tomorrow also. Got most of summer garden planted Sat so that was good.

I will need to eat multiple meals so will keep the extra meals due to need for more antibiotics and pain meds due to my implant procedure so I will keep them very low carb to reduce the impact. That is about it for me.

@blambo61 congratulations :smiley::smiley:
    hope you had lot of fun in the wedding...
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited May 2017
    amflautist wrote: »
    Have had an interesting two weeks. Went out of town for a week. Got back, had a colonoscopy (all good). Worked hard at work getting stuff done. Had a wedding this last Fri for my second oldest (married a great girl!), had a root canal go bad in the middle of this and just had it yanked out today to start an implant process! I'm not supposed to run hard tell I get my stitches out which bums me out a bit and I'm going to miss this Thurs 5k run looks like. My mouth is killing me right now since I've come down off the anethesia.

Have done ok with the weight and didn't gain any through the wedding festivities and having family over and lots of food so that was good. Also I've had to eat multiple meals due to needing to take antibiotics and pain meds for my bad root canal.

Ran some good runs (4-miles this morning and ran up a mountain trail on saturday so that was good). Have missed some weights though due to the schedule and will miss tomorrow also. Got most of summer garden planted Sat so that was good.

I will need to eat multiple meals so will keep the extra meals due to need for more antibiotics and pain meds due to my implant procedure so I will keep them very low carb to reduce the impact. That is about it for me.

Yes, you have had an interesting two weeks! You survived your colonoscopy, had a family wedding and then had a tooth removed in preparation for an implant. All sounds familiar. I'm at the two-implant stage right now - but a bit further along than you are.

But the absolutely BEST thing you said? You son married a great girl! This makes me happier than anything I could possibly think of. You are one of the lucky fathers in this world! Celebrate it. And I celebrate it with you! (I say this because I wasn't so lucky.)

Thanks very much for the kind words. Also thank you too @NoMoreAfatChick!
  • blambo61
    Dentist doesn't want me to run for a couple of weeks so today I walked for an hour up and down a steep hill with my scuba diving belt that has 20-something lbs of lead in it. Didn't get me breathing hard but I could feel it in the legs! I used to weigh more than I did with the belt on. Unbelievable! Need to drop another 20lbs of weight and I will feel real light!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Good job, I would have been breathing hard and sweating like a pig :p
  • blambo61
    Have had a rough couple of weeks. Very busy at work, marriage of child, teeth problems etc. I worked a couple of about 11-12 hour days this week. I find when I'm stressed and have to work late that I have a real hard time not eating junk. I eat it to keep going. That is how I gained a lot of my original weight. I went to grad school and stayed up late a lot studying (worked full time while taking classes) and I would eat to keep going. I think I'm past the big push now so things should get back to normal this next week.
  • blambo61
    edited May 2017
    Good job, I would have been breathing hard and sweating like a pig :p

Keep your walking up! It is amazing how much progress that can be made in a few months.
    Two years ago I could maybe run 1/4 mile at a 12-min mile pace. I now can run about 4-5 miles at a moderate effort at about a 10-min/mile pace. I hope after losing another 20-30 lbs and after training for another year to be able to go maybe an 8-min/mile pace for several miles (as a young guy I've done 15+ miles at around a 7:00-min/mile pace). Just need to stay healthy and get the weight off! Good luck.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Have had a rough couple of weeks. Very busy at work, marriage of child, teeth problems etc. I worked a couple of about 11-12 hour days this week. I find when I'm stressed and have to work late that I have a real hard time not eating junk. I eat it to keep going. That is how I gained a lot of my original weight. I went to grad school and stayed up late a lot studying (worked full time while taking classes) and I would eat to keep going. I think I'm past the big push now so things should get back to normal this next week.

Wow. I admire you! It's okay, we all have tough times when we can't stick to healthy living. As long as its temporary, dont be too hard on yourself :)

What are you studying?
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    I appreciate your anecdotes about running - how you have increased your times and distances with consistent effort. Especially appreciate hearing this, because I am trying to do the same with walking - for my knees.
  • blambo61
    1MADGIRL wrote: »

Wow. I admire you! It's okay, we all have tough times when we can't stick to healthy living. As long as its temporary, dont be too hard on yourself :)

What are you studying?

Grad school was was many years ago. I'm not being hard on myself, I just don't like the difficult circumstances, it's actually been about 3-tough weeks with very high work demands besides other things. I do need some better strategies though to deal with working late when it happens besides hitting the snack bar to keep going. I will need a stash of something that won't make me fat I can nibble on to keep going.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    sorry misread!

I blend yoghurt, fruit, milk and protein powder and shove it in the freezer. I find it takes a while to eat and very satisfying!
  • blambo61
    No problem, thanks for the comments. I actually do have a can of protein powder at work but somehow I seemed to forget about that. The one problem I have is if I stay late at work, there isn't much choice there. I will have to go for the protein in the future.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Congratulations on your son's wedding, your health, and getting back on track after a rough three weeks :)
  • blambo61
    edited May 2017
    Ran today for 1st time in 12 days. I have been hiking with a scuba diving weight belt and about 20-something lbs of lead in it four about 4-miles in the mountains when I wasn't running but today I gave it a go in the mountains and ran about 1.5-miles up. I did have to rest a few times but I made it that far and the legs said that was enough so went back. Only 3-miles total but it was a steep grade! Felt great. Am glad to be back doing that. I think I'm going to trying running the hills often. They really work a person. I would like to try to get to the top (4.5-miles one way and about 4500 ft elevation gain) but I don't think I have the time to do that or the time that would be required for the extra sleep and recovery I would need. To be young and have that kind of time and energy!

Through my struggle the last three weeks or so, I haven't lost weight but I haven't gained either and am at 210 lbs still so I'm not really unhappy with that.
  • wsandy8512
    That's absolutely wonderful, Bob! I've never been a runner, but I can appreciate how you pushed your body and all while doing something you love. Nice job with not gaining as well!
  • Brendalea69
    I'm sure you're happy now you can start running again, and 3 miles is great :)
  • blambo61
    edited May 2017
    Ate about 3000 kcals today but I think I burned about 4k! Hiked for about 2.5 hours (3-hrs including resting) up a mountain creek. Very pretty. Ran 1st .75 miles and carried a grandson on shoulders for about .25 miles and just hiked the rest. I ran ahead of eveyone I was with and then went back and hiked with them.

I did it all fasted except a scoop of UCAN super starch. That stuff is amazing. No bonking on only about 80 calories.

Took a long nap and then worked in the garden for a couple of hours. Done for today!
  • wsandy8512
    Wow, that's awesome, Bob!!! Not only that but it sounds like you had a lot fun as did your grandson. :)
  • Brendalea69
    AWESOME!!!
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Ate about 3000 kcals today but I think I burned about 4k! Hiked for about 2.5 hours (3-hrs including resting) up a mountain creek. Very pretty. Ran 1st .75 miles and carried a grandson on shoulders for about .25 miles and just hiked the rest. I ran ahead of eveyone I was with and then went back and hiked with them.

I did it all fasted except a scoop of UCAN super starch. That stuff is amazing. No bonking on only about 80 calories.

Took a long nap and then worked in the garden for a couple of hours. Done for today!

You're always doing fun stuff... Its awesome!
  • blambo61
    @mistymeadow10
    I try to do some fun stuff. That is one of my main motivations to lose weight so that I can do stuff. Thanks