Exercises for Someone with a bad back

Options
Hey there yall! I have just started my weight loss journey this week. I am exercising daily riding a stationary bike but i also want to work on my core and stomach muscles. My problem...I have a back disorder that is very painful. Ive jad numerous surgeries the past year (thus my weight gain) and doing any sort of push up, plank, or pull up is impossible. My Dr said any cardio needs to be low impact as well. Can anyone give me some ideas of what exercises i can do at home? Thanks so much!!

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to refer you for physical therapy. PTs are amazing at coming up with exercises to do at home.
  • purplepadres
    purplepadres Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ^ Seconded. While folks on the board can offer suggestions, no one here knows your medical history or is qualified to create an exercise program for you. I worked with an excellent PT for a year due to a herniated disc. A good PT will give you work you can do, but also manage your expectations.
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Agree with the poster about the PT, getting some exercises from them are key.

I had L5 - S1 decompression surgery a few years back and have put on 60lbs since then. Very frustrating knowing that it's going to be a slow process limited by my back.

If you're looking for things to do at home it would all depend on the type of back injury as well. I personally tried out the "Core De Force" Beachbody video (NO I AM NOT A COACH) and didn't mind it. Low impact options for this one.

I find Youtube to be a good source for workout videos if you're looking for something to follow. Outdoors you could also look into roller blading (building up the leg muscles is good for your back), swimming, etc.

I personally love to ride outdoors, I got a road bike and could ride for hours.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    PT & swimming if you can helps. I have bulging disk in my back and have to get shots. Talk your doctor and let them recommend what u should do.
  • saphiresleaman461
    saphiresleaman461 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi I have 2 blown disc in my back i can't do push up ect so what I have been doing was charlottes DVD but I miss out on the push up side on things but get on all 4 and do the donkey kick that's fun!!
  • tomwasilj3w
    tomwasilj3w Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ya, though most of us could give you advice and tips I would definitely see a physical therapist since they can actually monitor and observe you and how you react to certain exercises.

I understand that for some though it's harder to do so because of financial issues. I have a bad back from years if physical labor and choosing to ignore the problem. It's gotten pretty bad. What helps me the most is yoga. I like watching the YouTube channel yogawithadriene. You can find alot of videos by typing yoga for back pain.

Also I read that if you have tight hamstrings that stretching those helps alliviate lower back pain.

Work on strengthening your core muscles as well. Abs, obliques, as well as lower back (if you can). Try to mostly do body weight exercises. Really hold and squeeze your muscles for every contraction.

But stretching and yoga throughout the day will really help. I'll try to stretch in the morning, mid day (when I get back from work) and before bed.

If you would like, I could try to find some of the videos I've found in the past that have helped me
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will aggravate your back but maybe an elliptical? I know it's low impact on knees for sure so maybe the fact that you're not hitting the ground with each stride can alleviate some stress off your back too? But I agree you should discuss this with a doctor and physiotherapist! They're highly specialized for a reason- its best for your body!
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    PT! They will give you the very best program for you. Mine just gave me an amazingly effective squat that is completely the opposite of all other squats I've been taught-- including by her over the years we've been together. And she taught me very gentle but effective core exercises that are not standard planks, crunches, or push-ups. Her philosophy is that the actions you do in the standard version of those have nothing to do with actions you actually do with your body. Good point.

For me, bicycling kills my back.

You might look into a water walking class-- this is NOT water aerobics! You do it in the dive tank at the pool so you don't touch the bottom. You wear a special float either around your waist or around each ankle. You "walk" or "run" in the deep water. A class will teach you how to keep good body mechanics, and is great for two things: core and burning calories. It doesn't feel like you are working hard at all, but it burns 2x the calories of land-based exercise.

To reiterate: PT!
  • kaciebobasey39
    kaciebobasey39 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Spoke to my spinal Dr today and they referred me to PT! Yall are great! Thanks again