first time mom in need of encouragement!!!

before i got pregnant i weighed in around 135-140 now im up to 199ish.

Replies

• kmowen9293
    kmowen9293 Posts: 9 Member
    I am also a first time mom of a 6 month old. I was never skinny but not too heavy.. around 150ish. Towards the end of my pregnancy I ballooned up to 200lbs. After labor I went into heart failure and had a lot of thyroid problems and barely dropped any weight. Now that my medicine is stable and working I'm trying to get healthy. Trying not to worry about the number on the scale and sorry more about how I feel. I have a very supportive husband who has made me feel so beautiful and so loved even tho I've gained. You've got this, momma!!
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    I'm a first time mom of a now 11-month old. I was around the same weight, but then I got up to 173 by delivery. After a lot of problems post partum (hypertension and severe edema), I'm losing the weight. If I can do this, so can you. You got this.
  • fit_finesse92
    fit_finesse92 Posts: 478 Member
    I was the exact same. I also have thyroid problems. I had my first and didn't worry about my weight. Got pregnant with my second (now 10 months) and during his pregnancy i decided to make changes and try to lose weight after having him. I was 190 at the end of my pregnancy and 181 1 week pp. He was a month early (completely healthy though-thank God!) so my delivery wasn't as complicated as it was with my first since he was a few pounds smaller. 2 weeks after he was born I started eating healthy and working out. It does take time to figure out what works for you, just remember to stay positive and every day is another chance to changing your lifestyle and being a healthier you :)
    Congratulations on your baby!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Welcome anxiousmomma! I'm a 5-time veteran mom, lol. I've been through this a few times!

How old is your little one? Are you breastfeeding?

If you're still in the first months post partum, you want to start out slowly :smile: Give your body at least 6 weeks to recover from labor and delivery. Ignore your weight until at least 4 weeks; I know that I was so full of fluids coming home from the hospital that I hadn't "lost" any weight from before birth. :open_mouth: You can probably start gentle walks after the first few weeks, but don't do anything more strenuous for exercise until your doctor clears you.

If you are breastfeeding, you actually need more calories than you did while pregnant! When you are exclusively feeding a baby, you should eat about 500 calories more than if you aren't (so calculate your calories to lose 1 pound per week then add 500 to that for your goal). Exercise is fine while breastfeeding, but some babies don't like to nurse right after you work out (either from the lactic acid souring your milk for a bit or from sweaty nipples) but mine never seemed to mind. Also drink extra water! Lots! When baby starts eating solids, you probably only need 200-300 extra calories.

Remember that it took you most of 9 months to gain the weight, and it's not all fat (extra breast tissue, increased blood volume for a few weeks, etc). So don't be in a huge rush to get back to pre-pregnancy weight. You've got a great support network here, you can do it!
    :mrgreen:
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Mathjuls is wise and said everything I wanted to say.

I'm a mom of one little one who still is breastfeeding. I've lost over fifty pounds (33 lower than prepregnancy) by simply eating at my maintenance level and breastfeeding my daughter. You can do it!
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    You can do it!!!