Question from a newbie lifter...

So I lost most of my weight so far from pure dieting and logging calories. I'm 5'2 and went from 180 to 152 currently. Now that I'm out of the "obese" range and closer to a normal weight, the loss has slowed dramatically. I'm already eating around 1300 cal a day and I can't go much lower, so I got to suck it up and start a fitness routine. I hate treadmills, so I figured lifting was a good place to start. However, I have no damn idea what I'm doing. Is there a free app I can get that will give me a personalized routine and show me how to use the machines/weights? Or should I get a trainer to lay out a plan? Is it worth the extra money? I also tend to carry weight on my top and midsection, and have a smaller butt/legs. Can I change my body composition by bulking my lower half while just toning my upper?

Replies

• anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Congrats on your loss so far; the last bit takes the longest. I like to use the JEFIT app (I have android); there are pre-made workouts and every exercise has a .gif to show you how to do it. You can also build your own routines once you get more comfortable.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    I started with stronglifts 5x5- free app. Easy to learn. I am fond of it.

Read as much as possible and learn! Mark rippetoe (sp?) Find a good source and watch tons of video.

And don't worry, you won't be able to bulk your upper body. It doesn't work that way for us women. :(
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5, so straight forward and simple. Only 5 lifts to learn