Hitting a wall

Options
I have been so motivated. For the first time in years - since having kids - I've been able to lose a few pounds. I'm down 6 pounds since I started tracking on 4/6.
And I've been exercising and getting in lots of walks to maximize my energy and burn calories.
But despite my dedication - I've stopped losing in the last 2 weeks. I look in the mirror and feel like I'll never get to my goal.
I wish this was easier! I wish I just knew I could do it. I think I could keep my focus and motivation if I was sure this whole thing would work.
But for right now ... feels like I'm destined to stay chubby.
Advice appreciated !

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition to prevent it, done right, it has to work. It's the laws of physics. Get in, and stay in a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight.

You have posted on an important and frequently overlooked point, to stick with a program, you have to believe it will work.
  • sabinaholtby
    sabinaholtby Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. This time it will work. Give it another week. I've felt what you're feeling. It's just a feeling. It will go away with your next victory.
  • FinallyBrooklyn
    FinallyBrooklyn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You won't have the same loss every week. Some weeks there will no loss, or even a slight gain. TOM affects the scales. I encourage you to reeducate your mind on how weight loss works, rather than going by your own beliefs. We've all had to do that. It's a learning process.
  • CuraKate
    CuraKate Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. Seemed liked forever to hit the 10lb mark!! It finally happened and I was on a roll. Now I am down 16lbs and have hit another plateau. I'm still working at it and trying to stay motivated to get to 20lbs!! Good luck and keep at it!!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've been "stalled" for two months. That's called maintenance. Now that you're getting a feel for that, either tighten up your calorie counting, only eat half your exercise calories back (because they are often very high on mfp), or cut 50 calories. I've been using this ap for years and the only time I don't lose, or maintain, is when I stop using the ap. You really really CAN do this!
  • suzettedees
    suzettedees Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Back in January, when I remotivated myself for what seems like the umpteenth time, I strictly ate 1200 calories a day and started working out 5 days a week. I lost 20 pounds by March
  • suzettedees
    suzettedees Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Back in January, when I remotivated myself for what seems like the umpteenth time, I strictly ate 1200 calories a day and started working out 5 days a week. I lost 20 pounds by March

I wrote a lot more but obviously it was too much more. My end point was make sure you are eating what you think you are, add strength training if you haven't, look closely at the health benefits you are achieving and celebrate your successes not just by the number on the scale.
  • FinallyBrooklyn
    FinallyBrooklyn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the motivation and support.
    You are all right !!!
    Weight loss isn't linear. The benefits are beyond the scale.
    And, if I stick w the program, count everything - I will achieve my goal.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    as you get closer to your healthy weight, it takes longer and harder work, trust me, I am at that stage, just over 10/11lbs to go to get to 160lbs, I even said I want to lose an extra 10lbs to give me some lbs to play with... not so sure I want to now lol

it is like I need to triple my exercise just to get the same amount to weight loss as before
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Have been working on the last 3 pounds for about 4 months. My deficit is too tight, but I'm looking at it as training for maintenance. Stay strong.